short iron shots?

short iron shots?

Postby M_easy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Question for experienced abs golfers. How do you do on short iron shots, lets say 130 and in. Are you guys able to get any spin on the ball or are you getting the ball close to the hole by lofting it in the air instead of low spinners? I have a set of abs spalding blades and i have never played a round with them, only for practice so far. So im wondering how you guys fare with gaming them on a somewhat modern course? Shots around 90-60 i would imagine might be difficult with abs gear.
M_easy

Re: short iron shots?

Postby k2baloo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:08 am

I realize the question is for ABS students, but I hope you don't mind me chiming in.

In my experience, the ball will launch a bit higher and with less spin off the vintage wedges. So you'll have to adjust a little bit, but it typically won't prevent you from getting just as close to the pin. Full shots stop on a dime or roll out just a few feet.

Also, I've been playing some balatas lately, and they spin nicely off the vintage stuff and with a lower flight.

Get out there and game those clubs! That will be the best way for you to get a feel for it and see how you like it.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

I agree with what K2 is saying. My wedges tend to come in a little lower and with a little less spin. When I can hit it cleanly I am surprised by how much it does check up and have even seen it back up a few inches sometimes.

I think where I see the biggest difference is on the 30-50 yard shots where with the newer wedges you can get more spin the older wedges will roll out more. And if you're playing out of the rough you can basically say all bets are off. However, as I say that on Saturday I hit a 9-iron about 130 from the rough and put it about 4 feet below the flag with about 6 foot of run out. So, I think it's got a lot to do with acceleration through the ball and how clean you can strike the ball.
LesMurray

Postby ballturf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Hey Guys,

I just ordered this tool to clean out my vintage gear grooves. It work's wonders on all that dirt that accumulates in the grooves The dirt is eliminated and now I get better spin and a cleaner hit (as am a Hitter now thanks to Lag) it also sharpens the grooves so the ball climbs up the face of the club. I can tell now that my ball gets a little chewed up on solid hits. I'm not going to say it will improve your handicap that comes with hard work from drilling the ABS modules or whatever golf pattern you're using. [color=#800000](Golf Club Groove Sharpener Tool with 6 Cutters Golf Accessories for Optimal Backspin and Ball Control)[/color

Now for the question at hand. I hit different clubs to 130 yards I use clubs from 5 iron to my nine iron depending what I want kind of shot I want to play. Like a low shot to hit in front of the green and roll up to the flagstick or if the grass is really thick I'll hit a chip and run. A high shot that I want to stop on a dime, or a shot that hits in front of the green and rolls out a bit. You have to use your Imagination when you play because with ABS you have all kinds of shot you can use that Lag teaches. Good luck in your quest for Accuracy.

Ballturf :ugeek:
Attachments
Groove cleaner.jpeg
Groove cleaner.jpeg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 978 times
The only way to permanently learn a motor skill is thru REPETITION !
ballturf

Postby M_easy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:56 pm

I think I read on here somewhere that practicing and playing abs clubs alone will make you a much better striker.
M_easy

Postby LesMurray » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:23 am

M_easy wrote:I think I read on here somewhere that practicing and playing abs clubs alone will make you a much better striker.

Working with flatter and heavier clubs will allow your body to feel the weight of the club and lower your hands through the strike. These will bring a more natural motion into play if you let it.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm

The greatest ball strikers of all time played much heavier clubs and most played much flatter iron set ups than what goes on today with modern clubs.

We should be seeing the next "Hogan" on tour but we are not. The train of thought on club design and matching golf swings is going in an erroneous direction.
Players can't control the ball like they used to... a lower spinning ball is a disaster for great strikers. The trend has been to widen fairways, cut down rough, enlarge greens, cut down trees...
but in the name of "making golf tough" they just lengthen the courses.

It's beyond silly, illogical, and one of the main reasons many are losing interest in the game.

Golf is not a game meant to be dumbed down.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby M_easy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 am

I agree lag! Professional golf is not in a great place. They are making the game more like baseball where the great players are done by age 40"tiger" and maybe Rory and Jason day. There is no reason to lengthen courses, just make it super penalizing to be in the rough. But when tour pros go driver wedge into a 500 yard par 4, something is just off. I have no interest in the tour besdies the masters and open championship.
M_easy

Postby lagpressure » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 pm

As far as the wedges to get back on topic....

The new plastic ball doesn't spin much, but they figured out that if you put a milled texture on the face of the club, it can add spin or grip to the ball-clubface
that is not groove related. This is part of the groove fallacy they have been posturing for years.

Spin helps a good striker control the ball, so the added spin off the milled or textured clubfaces on today's clubs is why we are seeing some very good wedge players.

The other thing is that tour greens are very homogenized today. The agronomy, they really have it down, and you have quick, smooth greens that are still soft under the surface and will hold a shot. Most courses non pros are playing are not as good and conditions vary much more.

Vintage wedges were of course designed for balata balls that were high spinning. To use vintage wedges, you just have to play for them to not spin as much, which in most cases is fine. I don't mind the ball releasing some. What I really don't like about the modern ball is the lack of shot shaping, draws, fades etc... especially from outside 150.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking