Insight - Keeping hands out in front (?)

Re: Insight - Keeping hands out in front (?)

Postby lagpressure » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm

1.jpg
1.jpg (110.74 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

I love this picture of The Masters Champion.
The shaft is so much flatter and at right angles to his spine as early as possible through a proper slotting technique that pins pressures between the action of the forearm
rotation and the lower body action. It's a totally lost concept on modern teachers and even most all tour players as far as I can see.

Look at the students left arm. It's actually flatter but the shaft is much steeper.
Also, those clubs on the ground is a nightmare. That is not how alignment works.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby hanisch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 pm

nfbandon wrote:I really don't get the early acceleration comments on Johnny. He is smooth in transition and his speed comes later. His shoulders are level, right arm bent and it stays that way well past impact.

Here is another of his students for Asia. A young pro. More traditional in look. Is this garbage also?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDNFSolMfU ... eryellsdoh

I'm far from proficient at analyzing swings, so I very well may be way off the mark, or at any rate, missing something vital, but to my eyes he looks more like he's swinging rather than hitting, as those terms are used here. Although his right elbow doesn't straighten until after impact, his arms come off his chest post-impact, as if he's going with the momentum of the club head, instead of fighting it. Does this only appear this way because of the large forces of swinging a driver? Or is he not really trying to fight (or barely trying to fight) the club head's inertia to go straight? Also, after impact it looks like the club head is outracing the shoulders. Let me know if I'm off-base with this assessment, as I want to learn.
hanisch

Postby Range Rat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Lagpressure wrote:
Also, those clubs on the ground is a nightmare. That is not how alignment works.

I used to be in that camp, what a nightmare, but at the time thought it was the way to go. Jackie Burke Jr. said this in his book- "I encourage you to take lessons from your PGA professional. But if the first thing he does is lay clubs on the ground and tell you to place your feet squarely to one of them head for the exits." :lol:

On of the new Dirt tapes Elkington and Burke are on the practice tee and Steve mentions that there is an unwritten rule @ Champions- no alignment sticks, no range finders.
Gotta love it.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:21 pm

k2baloo wrote:BTW, I think some of us are talking about different things. At least I don't seem to be on the same page as everyone else, because it my book, this pic shows 'hands out in front.' Not as much so as De Vicenzo or some other players, but the same general idea.

Grady - would the below meet the idea of what you're presenting, or are the hands too low and/or close to the body?

Lag.PNG

^^ That photo also shows to me, what I saw and felt, and inspired me to write about my insight in my thread trying to understand my experience. (lol).
From there it looks impossible to un-rotate the forearms to hit the ball inside. BUT I noticed in a Hogan gif that the hands went around the corner before the club hit the ball. It may be nothing at all worth thinking about. "Elementary". But it was a point of confusion.

lagpressure wrote:Steve saw me hit a few 1 irons off the deck yesterday, so I think he could attest as well. Very piercing ball flight with a slightly different trajectory than I am used to. It's kinda exciting really. Haven't felt anything significantly noteworthy in a few years actually.

Yes. While you were hitting them I wondered what the typical good player or teacher would think about it. I am still surprised about the draw/fade effect. But I told my friend about it and, well, it worked for him ha ha.

lagpressure wrote:The walk feels more connected down the middle than in the trees.

Yeah..

McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby nfbandon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Hanisch..if you go back and read my posts I think I answer your question. Since I am already around the corner aimed left I don't feel those pressure I felt in ABS because I am not fighting to get an inside out path inside post impact. So in that sense I guess you could say it is swinging. However, swinging to me is allowing the club to extend. I am trying to get wider in transition and, given that golf is action/reaction, I feel my arms get shorter through the hitting zone.
nfbandon

Postby twomasters » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 am

Here is another really dramatic change from a lesson yesterday in Melbourne.. this took 20 mins to alter and the ball control and strike were night and day... feeling the hands out ballside of the bucket and then focusing on post impact being the strongest part of the swing was all it took
3DA6AD8A-79D9-4468-B11F-7E75CD389152.jpeg
3DA6AD8A-79D9-4468-B11F-7E75CD389152.jpeg (476.62 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
twomasters

Postby lagpressure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:29 am

That's a huge transformation!
Good work on that!

It hurts my eyes to see a club that steep and rolled post impact. :lol:
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Mucho primo TwoMasters! Great optic drill, like it. Let's not go too hog wild though assisting players outside the United States so we here stateside can remain golf's only true superpower. :lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:36 pm

"Out front" there really looks like it's all caused by forearm rotation. Am I right about that?
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby twomasters » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 pm

stevemcgee99 wrote:"Out front" there really looks like it's all caused by forearm rotation. Am I right about that?

Yes... the more the arms/hands feel out the more forearm rotation becomes available and the more wristcock can be built in too
twomasters

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking