Insight - Keeping hands out in front (?)

Insight - Keeping hands out in front (?)

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:38 pm

(For some reason I can't post the image.)
viewtopic.php?p=46699#p46699

The link above goes to the GIF that finally made sense to me (I think).

The idea was brought to my attention by one of Brad's videos about how you don't keep your left arm glued through the whole swing. The video showed a photo of Hogan in a navy blue polo with his arm / hands out. So the hands can out front and the club could lie down more.

My problem was understanding how you can go from what seemed to be my hands away from my body, above the ball, just after P3 THEN get the clubhead to come in from inside. It happened when I just 'did it' but I couldn't figure it out. Like somehow I must have been pulling my hands in and flipping the clubhead around to get it to make contact with the ball. This might not make sense but my 'insight' probably will.

Left arm away from body, hands out in front, bowing to the 4:30 line. I've made the 'space for my arms'.
THEN because I'm turning, rotating my torso, from the rear view (as in George Knudson in the link) shows that at impact my hands will be close to my body.
I don't 'pull' my hands in, I rotate the body left, into my left arm, and keep rotating which ends up brining my left shoulder, connected by a straight right arm to my hands, away from the ball. So the arc of the club head is inside.

Basically all the torso rotation is what solves the 'hands out front' illusion.

Right?
McGee
stevemcgee99

Re: Insight - Keeping hands out in front (?)

Postby nfbandon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Don't pull down...rotate into the left arm is a great thought.
nfbandon

Postby LesMurray » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Also, spine tilt helps keep the hands out front and keep the torso closed. We save that torso for Mod 3 torso rotation.
LesMurray

Postby HB51 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm

....is anyone seeing a slight bowing of the left wrist right at the top/start if transition?
HB51

Postby HB51 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 pm

oops..."start of transition"...

the reason I ask is because as I evolve through the first 3 mods of ABS I notice a loss of distance and very high ball flight, with often a weak high fade. I think this comes from trying to keep it sunny side up at p3. maybe I just done square it fast enough? (although I'm 53 so father time could be catching up with me)

it seems as though at some point the left wrist is bowed (or is it not) at impact. does this happen a little at the top/transition, or after p3, with a rapid squaring of the club face from p3 to impact?

sorry if this the wrong thread, but I'm basing my inquiry on George's GIF's referenced...

thanks
HB51

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 pm

nfbandon wrote:Don't pull down...rotate into the left arm is a great thought.

OK, thanks Grady.

HB - I don't know what 'bowed wrist' means. In my limited experience I fade less when I feel both feet firmly in the ground, pulling my swing through, and when the club goes more left than 'up' after impact.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby LesMurray » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:45 pm

stevemcgee99 wrote:HB - I don't know what 'bowed wrist' means. In my limited experience I fade less when I feel both feet firmly in the ground, pulling my swing through, and when the club goes more left than 'up' after impact.

If you look at the top of GK's backswing as he starts his transition his left wrist starts to get a bow in it a la Lee Trevino.

I personally don't like to feel my swing being pulled. Rather I prefer to feel a push with the right side. Kind of like I'm throwing the club or tossing a ball side-armed. Just me. Helps me keep from accelerating too early.

Best feelings from Mod 2 are the squeeze with the feet and bowing to the 4:30 line. Not too early to start feeling the rotating motion of the swing as well.
LesMurray

Postby HelterSkelter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 am

There is a great bit about transition in Brads eBook.

The cupped to flatter look in transition gives that little extra range of motion and therefore extra time during transition.

Goes along with having oily wrists to form part of what he calls a 'flexible transition'.

All in all it allows more time to make adjustments in the downswing and hit a wide variety of shots.

Goes along with the other things we learn such as knee flex, forearm rotation and the closing the gap discussed above.

When drilling we try and preserve some of this cup all the way through, but with swing forces and body rotation it won't look that way.
HelterSkelter

Postby nfbandon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:27 am

The more out we send the hands the more likely the left wrist will bow because the rotational forces will send the hands down. Hands out in front, shaft back. I like the thought of sending the thumbs down and away as I rotate my left hip out of the way, then just push through with the entire right side.
nfbandon

Postby hanisch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 am

nfbandon wrote:I like the thought of sending the thumbs down and away as I rotate my left hip out of the way, then just push through with the entire right side.

What do you mean by "away" is this regard? That is, away from what?
hanisch

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking