Jerry Anderson RIP

Jerry Anderson RIP

Postby lagpressure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 am

anderson_golf.jpg
anderson_golf.jpg (140.01 KiB) Viewed 354 times

We are all deeply saddened by the passing of revered PGA of Canada member Jerry Anderson.
A teaching professional at Credit Valley Golf and Country Club, Anderson passed away on March 9th. He was 62-years-old.
Born in Montreal, Anderson won the PGA Championship of Canada in 1987. He became the first Canadian to win on the European Tour when he shot a 27-under par at the Ebel European Masters -- (63-66-66-66=261).That 72-hole score was a record on the European Tour until Ernie Els shot a 29 under par score at the 2003 Johnnie Walker Classic.
Anderson finished ninth on the European Tour Order of Merit in 1984.

He represented Canada at the Alfred Dunhill Cup in 1985 and at the World Cup in 1983, 1987, and 1989.
Anderson was inducted into the PGA of Canada Hall of Fame in 2016 and the Ontario Golf Hall of Fame in 2002.

Jerry was always a friend to me while I was playing on tour in Canada and Australia. Jerry played the kind of golf I was always most impressed with. He would methodically work his way around the golf course, always playing for position and angles. I remember him winning the Canadian Tournament Players Championship in 1989 hitting every fairway and 18 greens on Sunday. He just hit the ball straight all the time, solid short game and was on the leaderboard more often than he wasn't. He just didn't make many mistakes on the golf course. I never saw him hit any kind of wild tee shot or iron shot.

I remember having dinner with Jerry and he told me how he didn't feel he was a good fit for the US PGA Tour. He said the courses were not set up for lower ball hitters which he was.

I remember Jerry going head to head with Greg Norman in the Australian Open at Royal Melbourne on Sunday when Greg was #1 in the world. His game was ideal for courses in Canada, Australia, Europe where you could play more ground game and shot variety.

Nothing but respect for Jerry Anderson and feel blessed to have had the opportunity to play with him many times on tour.

Jerry you will be missed!

Professional wins (11)
European Tour wins (1)

Sep 1984 Ebel European Masters Swiss Open −27 (63-66-66-66=261) 5 strokes England Howard Clark
Nationwide Tour wins (1)

1991 Ben Hogan Texarkana Open

1979 Saskatchewan Open, Ontario Open, Manitoba Open
1980 Saskatchewan Open
1982 Quebec Open
1983 Quebec Open
1987 Canadian PGA Championship
1989 Windsor Charity Classic, Canadian Tour Championship

World Cup: 1983, 1987, 1989
Dunhill Cup: 1985
lagpressure
Site Admin