Mobility and Flexibility Soapbox...

Mobility and Flexibility Soapbox...

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:09 am

Hello All.

I just thought it would be a great idea to discuss some mobility and flexibility concepts. As most of you know, I've been going through physical therapy for over 7 years now attempting to completely alleviate my back pain (post L4-L5 back surgeries). Well, between picking the brains of multiple trainers, physical therapists, neurosurgeons, and pain management teams--AND-reading every piece of biomechanical, PT related, anatomy related, etc. article I could understand :lol: ...I learned some pretty crazy stuff.

The first of which is the most important...we are all built DIFFERENTLY. In order to understand how your body will function through a range of motions, you must know yourself. More specifically, the limitations of your body.

Personally, it took me a couple of years to finally get my hips to move correctly again, and I still have days where they are impinged. The good news is that I can fix that now--and I'd like to show you guys how to do the same thing.

But first...

How many of you have had ROM testing for mobility in recent time? Say from a TPI certified person? Just the assessment...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: Mobility and Flexibility Soapbox...

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:26 pm

I'll go first - never been evaluated.
k2baloo

Postby jfischer13 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 am

Interesting topic. Ive been evaluated and I'm TPI certified. I do TPI certified evaluations as a small part of my practice. (I work to fix the limitations the other 99% of the time)

Osteopathicgolf.com
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:37 am

jfischer13 wrote:Interesting topic. Ive been evaluated and I'm TPI certified. I do TPI certified evaluations as a small part of my practice. (I work to fix the limitations the other 99% of the time)

Osteopathicgolf.com

Long time no chat jfisch...hope you're doing well. Well, I spoke to Lag via PM and he asked me to post this in the Public area. I'm glad you chimed in...

K2,

I don't think the importance of a full TPI evaluation cannot be understated for someone trying to make a more technically efficient swing. I'll be the first to admit that everyone's body moves differently, and until you understand your limitations it is difficult to actually make certain breakthroughs. Although they use the modern swing as their baseline, the biomechanics hold true for EVERY swing!

Would you agree Jfisch?

I believe once you have a clear picture of your limiting range of motion areas, you can change them and free up your proprioceptors and nerve function. This can increase feel, balance, posture, ground connections, etc. Most importantly...it allows for a consistent strike!

For those of you that don't know about the stable joint, mobile joint concept...here are some great videos:

http://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:07 am

This should be a great thread, and I am sure we all appreciate the input here from experienced professionals and subjects in the field of discussion.

I have never been evaluated professionally, but I do have a stretching routine I do daily that I put into place while I was on tour. The traveling always
reeked havoc on my body... mainly stiffness, and I always struggled getting loosened up early in the morning.

Golf is an unusual game in that we are expected to be in tip top physical form often at the crack of dawn... cold, damp...ready to rip a driver down the middle of a narrow fairway and shape it slightly around a dogleg. Most other sports are playing their games in the afternoon or evening... some late morning, but crack of dawn, I usually would prefer tossing a salmon lure!

One thing that has helped me in recent years is taking magnesium either before bed or first thing in the morning. It acts as a natural muscle relaxer. The stuff
the doctors gave to me when I was on tour had negative side effects....tired, lazy, some stomach discomfort at times. They did work..... and saved me a few times.... but it gave me a strange feeling in the body.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:30 am

From watching the video posted above,

I think two of the points brought up about reverse spine tilt, and weight moving outside the right foot can be easily fixed for anyone.
If you can bend over from the waist, then you can fix reverse spine tilt in 5 seconds. Also, if you widen your stance, you can keep weight
inside the right foot.

Sam Randolph told me he can't turn his shoulders like he used to... so I had him bow to the 4:30 line, we moved the orientation of the ball visually,
then I had him take a backswing and he looked like he was 23 years old again in about 3 seconds. The point being that his shoulder rotation was not
the problem at all. It was that he had been working on "stack and tilt" nonsense.

Shoulder rotation (both directions), forearm rotation, vertical wristcock are certainly critical areas. I think the hip mobility will determine how much one's left foot needs to lift or not lift on the backswing, and then the opposite working through the strike into finish.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Nickj1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:53 pm

I understand what the 4:30 line is, but what do you mean by "bow to the 4:30 line"?
Nickj1

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Nickj1 wrote:I understand what the 4:30 line is, but what do you mean by "bow to the 4:30 line"?

Square your hips and shoulders to the 4:30 line, then bend from the waist.... or bow.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Nickj1 wrote:I understand what the 4:30 line is, but what do you mean by "bow to the 4:30 line"?

I like to call it restoring flexion, or squeezing the space, from an extended top of swing position- same deal, getting lower, pressuring down onto the trail leg getting ready to rumble. A little fuzzy, but here's Peter Thompson restoring torso flexion.
output_flOcgp.gif
output_flOcgp.gif (94.11 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby jfischer13 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 pm

ded2Journey lag and all,

Long time no chat. Ive been off the internet for awhile. I moved here to pebble beach and have been settling down, enjoying the golf and I opened my practice. So between that and my 2 year old running around the house hitting anything he can find with his golf club its left very limited time for online golf.

In my practice I approach all golfers as individuals. If there is one thing my training taught me it is that all people are created differently and that comes with its own limitations,challenges and advantages. In my onion, the key to great golf is knowing how to maximize your advantages and minimize your challenges. Often times the challenges can be changed easily but first they must be identified.

I persoanlly start with a history as that tells me more then a screening system could ever tell me. (injuries, concussions, medical issues, general health and diet as well as golf history, playing ability, and current goals) these are all important and help guide my treatment plans.

The TPI training is based off of biomechanics.They don't subscribe to a "swing thought or plan or methodology" instead they show how a variety of swings get the job done although obviously some are more efficient then others. The nice thing about the TPI program is it allows Golf Pros, Medical professionals, and fitness professionals to speak the same language.A TPI screening will delineate a pattern of restrictions, but those restrictions are caused by a variety of issues. Some are simply a matter of teaching the golfer to make the move more efficiently, some require a variety of techniques that I use in my practice. Often my patients come from the pro with a " diagnosis" and then I evaluate that patient and translate their golf diagnosis to a medical diagnosis or osteopathic diagnosis and develop a treatment plan or even fix that restriction during the visit.

Once the body is able to perform it really provides a great deal of freedom for the golfer. Everything functions better. Brain Joints Muscles and the proprioception improves. The body functions as a unit.

Regarding lags post about magnesium, if you have stiffness magnesium works wonders. (check with your doctor before you start a magnesium protocol) I rarely prescribe the traditional muscle relaxers anymore as I can generally improve spasms with a combination of osteopathic treatment and magnesium supplementation. Ive implemented the use of cacao daily in my diet. Its very high in magnesium and helps me get out of bed more easily and onto the course. Supplements are tough because of the differences in bioavailability across the different formulations. Cacao works better for me and gives me more consistent results.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for help with mobility, flexibility or injuries I'm happy to help. Im just outside pebble beach here in California for in person consultations and Im going to be starting a telemedicine program in the upcoming months. I can help with medications, supplements, and injury prevention and injury rehab advice. I can even perform much of the TPI screening remotely.

Im also happy to answer any specific questions about mobility flexibility injury rehab here on the forum.
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking