Re: Mobility and Flexibility Soapbox...

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Great stuff Josh!

Thanks!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 am

Thanks for the post Lag and Josh! I have never tried magnesium, but I definitely will now! I just eat a lot of fats, oils, nuts, etc...but I guess a little extra supplementation could help.

I totally agree that your past injuries heavily influence how your body moves as you age. What would you say is the most common dysfunction you see in recreational golfers Josh?

For those of you that are still curious about a TPI assessment (Josh please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm always the patient never the assessor), they take less than an hour to complete. The basic idea is to test the range of motion (mobility) of your joints, while also identifying any tissue related adhesions, dysfunction, etc. From there the trainer can build a program to unlock those "tight" areas. This can be a very painful process to do alone, but if you find someone more like Josh--they can tend to get quicker results with dry needling, trigger point therapy, barral therapies, etc, etc, etc. Seriously, there are more physical therapy tools/tortures out there than should be legal...haha

Here are 3 tools I use and a video describing HOW I was taught to use them by PT's, Docs, Trainers, etc.:

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 am

If you are not familiar with proper body motor patterns (i.e. stable/mobile joint theory), please check out this article. Great intro into understanding how the body moves...

http://www.mytpi.com/articles/fitness/how_ankle_mobility_influences_your_movement_patterns_and_your_golf_swing
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby jfischer13 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:09 am

Ded2journey,

The most common injury or dysfunction is a combination between lower and upper crossed syndrome. I can go into more detail on that if you like but basically there are some muscles that become weak and others become to tight. I think its important to look at an Injury as then end result in a long pathway. Often deconditioning and development of lower crossed or upper crossed is the start of the journey. I view my role is to help facilitate and guide people on their path back to health. Upper and lower crossed can manifest in a variety of ways in the golf swing. Hanging back, inconsistency, low back pain you name it I've seen it. I focus on the body (the engine of the swing) and let the pros take care of the mechanics.

A TPI assessment takes less then 1 hr. An in person visit and evaluation with me takes about an 60 minutes and includes a full osteopathic treatment. I really strive to set people on the correct course towards health and provide the tools so that they can continue that journey on their own outside of my office.
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:27 am

jfischer13 wrote:Ded2journey,

The most common injury or dysfunction is a combination between lower and upper crossed syndrome. I can go into more detail on that if you like but basically there are some muscles that become weak and others become to tight. I think its important to look at an Injury as then end result in a long pathway. Often deconditioning and development of lower crossed or upper crossed is the start of the journey. I view my role is to help facilitate and guide people on their path back to health. Upper and lower crossed can manifest in a variety of ways in the golf swing. Hanging back, inconsistency, low back pain you name it I've seen it. I focus on the body (the engine of the swing) and let the pros take care of the mechanics.

A TPI assessment takes less then 1 hr. An in person visit and evaluation with me takes about an 60 minutes and includes a full osteopathic treatment. I really strive to set people on the correct course towards health and provide the tools so that they can continue that journey on their own outside of my office.

Thanks Josh! These are all great points...

The body should be treated very different from the golf swing. As Lag and Brad have said many times, the positions are only vapor trails of managing these forces. I've found as I unlock parts of my body I learn new things about joints, supporting tissues, and how muscles are designed to fire on an inclined plane...very much like baseball actually.

As far as injuries are concerned, I couldn't agree more! If your physio/doctor is not taking your past injuries into account they are not seeing the big picture. The body is designed to move...if only 1 link in the chain is disturbed, it threatens to break other parts of your body eventually.

I personally believe through experimentation and experience that proper technique leads to improved health. Since coming to ABS and learning about my body, I can honestly say that proper technique leads to FAR FAR LESS INJURY AND PAIN! I won't lie, it takes time to change all your bad habits...but it's worth every second.

Now, the Upper/Lower extremities...where to begin? I guess I'd like to start with a discussion of controlling the trunk while maintaining a stable base. Also, VISE VERSA mobilizing the hips/legs while maintaining trunk/shoulder/joint stability. For advanced ball strikery, I believe this to be one of the links in the chain you must maintain constantly. The modern game is referring to the X-factor...but I think there is much more to it than that.

Lag calls it Chi, I call it the universal consciousness...but WE all know what it really is.

Specifically, if you cannot maintain motor control like this--you've got some mobility/flexiblity/physio work to do (IMVHO :D ):

Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:02 am

Ever wonder where your distance is going? Did you know the spine was curved, ALOT? Did you know the joints have natural limits? Did you know great ball strikers in the past would use this to their advantage?

Believe it or not, there are ways to lock/unlock ROM within all joints of the body using muscular torque. There have been books written in great detail about this. What if you're locking down/loosening the wrong joints?

Not because you aren't doing it right...but because you lack the mobility/flexibility to lock one area and move another. Simply, you're getting old... :D

The good news is that we are discovering the body (although cellular regeneration may slow). you can recover much if not all of your mobility/flexibility/strength.

Again, folks with a decent history of injury would benefit from this the most...but we can ALL use a little bit of help here.

Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am

First off, Magnesium works! Thank you Lag for the share there...it has really freed me up.

Joints are complex...but getting them to move properly is even more complex. I am very thankful for all the highly educated folks that have helped me unravel some of this puzzle we call anatomy along the way.

What they have taught me is simple...joints must move freely to minimize the impact to soft tissue, bone, ligaments, etc. BOTTOM LINE: The ball MUST move freely in the socket/capsule. Unless you are trying to prevent that...Abe Mitchell soapbox for another day.

So, how do we get there? Good Habits...

MY PERSONAL MOBILITY/FLEXIBILITY RULES:
1. HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE -- cellular regeneration requires H2O
2. 20 min. of foam rolling/stretching a day MINIMUM
3. Warm Up thoroughly before I do ANYTHING requiring athleticism
4. Cool down for 5 min. (I prefer taking left handed swings with complete relaxation)
5. If injured, Motrin and grit are not the solution! Foam roll/stretch areas AROUND the injured area to provide relief to the injury (assuming muscular). DO NOT STRETCH OR ROLL THE INJURED AREA FOR 72 hours!
EXAMPLE: Pulled my hip flexor, roll & stretch (both sides)--hamstring, IT band, Quad, QL, Abdombinals, glutes, and psoas
Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 am

As I finish edits on my second mobility video...I want to share a thought on posture with you. Thanks to Stu C. for keeping me on track...

SpineAnatomy.png
SpineAnatomy.png (34.95 KiB) Viewed 1521 times

If this is how our spine is naturally shaped, why are modern teachers saying we should look like this over the golf ball?

golf-posture-drill.jpg
golf-posture-drill.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Instead of like this?

stances2.jpg
stances2.jpg (81.46 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Seems off to me...
Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:42 am

It always amazes me the complexity of our anatomy...but the good news is we can simplify all that with a simple tool! THE FOAM ROLLER...

Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:24 am

And sometimes we push our limits too far...

Ded2Journey

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking