Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Re: Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Postby nfbandon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:51 am

It is one of the great courses in this country. It was set up well. Add the wind to greens that are so much faster than they were back in the day and you have one of the hardest tests pro golfers have faced in a long, long time. It is very possible no one will break par today, and many favorites will shoot over 80.
nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:46 am

Carnage today. I can see Tiger doing okay; he's a grinder.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:24 am

Wow, was I ever wrong on tiger :lol: :lol: :lol:

DJ is playing great on this course that's eating everyone alive. Lots of people on GolfWRX are unhappy with how hard it is, but I like it.
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:14 am

This is quite the US Open. I hope DJ doesn't run away with it, but at this point in the tournament he looks incredibly solid.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:12 am

k2baloo wrote:Wow, was I ever wrong on tiger :lol: :lol: :lol:

DJ is playing great on this course that's eating everyone alive. Lots of people on GolfWRX are unhappy with how hard it is, but I like it.

The US Open should be hard, or at least it always had the tradition of being golf's toughest test. In the past it was hard because the fairways were cut narrow and the rough extreme. I watched a bit of the opening round and I didn't see that as the factor here. Although I am not there on site, the fairways appear to be very wide, very rarely is someone missing a fairway into the second cut or deep stuff. I don't think the players are standing on the tee thinking "how and I going to get this ball in play".

There is deep rough, but it's not lining narrow fairways or just off the putting surfaces. Think of Watson chipping in on 17 at Pebble just two steps from the green. We are not seeing that kind of set up.

The USGA seems to be in a constant state of flux. I think they are trying to figure out how to present a US Open in the Super Golf era. One year it just looks like a normal tour event with the winner 18 under par and 60 guys in red numbers. This year it looks like "traditional" US Open scoreboard. I suppose they are trying to figure this out moving forward in a way that doesn't anger the players or people on GWRX etc... too much.

It appears that this year's formula is the difficulty of the greens with the bell shaped run offs that are happening. Everyone is hitting off the fairway for the most part, but I don't see the guys getting the ball close to the hole often. It could be high pin placements where the ball is rolling away from the hole compared to The Masters where the ball seems to be funneling more often than not.

It would be nice to see some consistency moving forward from year to year. As it has been, every year is a totally different set up.

This actually is more traditionally how they used to set up The Australian Open or other events there with the roll off shaved down slopes around the greens. This can be very tough, especially if the ball rolls off down a long slope into some kind of rough there. This is a way to make a course play tough, but it is not a "traditional US Open" set up. It's more like an Australian Open set up.

So in a traditional US Open set up, you would have the laser straight hitters peppering the leaderboard, but here you have Dustin Johnson on top, so this truly is a major for the modern era. I think this is what they want now, and they are getting it.

It should be more interesting to watch on Sunday than in recent years. If the wind really kicks up, it could make the fairways play a lot narrower which would add that element.

The greens are not crazy hard or crazy fast as they were usually that way in the past traditional US Open.

It looks like they have found a proper balance this week for the modern Super Golf. Maybe this will be what they finally settle upon for major US Open golf moving forward.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Brutal conditions.

The fans are ruining this thing; a bunch of complete idiots out there.
k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:08 pm

k2baloo wrote:Brutal conditions.

The fans are ruining this thing; a bunch of complete idiots out there.

I didn't see today's round, but I did see that three guys shot under par... so it's not impossible. Afternoon conditions can be tough and apparently they were, but that's golf because it IS AN OUTDOOR GAME as much as I am sure many would rather see it played indoors if possible.

Davis said they are going to slow the course down... soak the greens for tomorrow.
To me, Davis comes across as very confused and polarized when speaking about this event from year to year.

As much as people are complaining about it, doesn't look like it will be the highest scoring US Open. It's tough, but it should be.

I heard a clip by Chamblee talking about how the green speeds are not consistent with the original designs from 100 years ago. I agree with that, and it was nice to hear a commentator mention something that is so obvious, yet usually ignored.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:29 pm

I just saw the clip of Mickelson hitting the ball while it was moving... surely out of extreme frustration.
He's taking a lot of flak for it... but personally, I think it was a great thing he did if that was that reason..... that the pin placement was absurd. I'll assume it was.
or he wouldn't have done it. If that's the case, then good for Phil!

There is no reason they need to cut pins in impossible places when the greens get rolling that fast. The USGA is a disastrous organization at times.
Nice to see a top respected player like Phil take a stance and show some absurdity right back at them.

If they want to toughen the course up properly, just narrow the fairways.. forget about the glassy greens concept.

On the other hand... if he just hit the putt too hard and could have stopped it with a proper putt, then he did this out of pure frustration with himself...
and that is a different scenario. He has a right to hit a moving ball and take the penalty. The debate is raging that he did it disrespectfully and should have been disqualified. He said he did it for strategic reasons, and the USGA coward to that excuse. I don't think he did it for strategic reasons.

I hope it's just a strong message to the USGA to stop this kind of nonsense with crazy fast greens. I don't see any place for that in the game based upon how the architects designed these historic courses, or most any course for that matter. I am more for making golf a ball strikers game and less of a putters game.

I played a lot of tournament golf with those kind of conditions. Good shots being penalized, even great shots being punished. I don't think a course ever needs to be set up like that. Smaller greens with narrow fairways is the right way to do it with tough rough. That way, if you hit good shots, you hit it into the fairway, onto the green below the hole. I have hit shots into tournament greens that would not hold the ball. I have never seen a fairway that could not be hit. Moe used to say..."if the ball fits".

Next year, I'm sure they will go back to US Open with guys shooting 18 under again.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 pm

They don't have high rough around the greens because this is not a parkland golf course. The greens are elevated and the closely mowed areas make the course more challenging. I agree greens with this much slope were never intended to be this fast. There were two 66s before the wind picked up in the afternoon. Davis admits the wind surprised them and the course got a bit away from them. I think they will water it tonight and it will be fine tomorrow. This kind of thing isn't unique to the modern era. Remember Winged Foot with Hale winning at +7?
nfbandon

Postby turn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Berger in the final group! I’m pulling for him ... I know he throws his arms post impact like most guys these days but I like his funky swing!
turn

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking