Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Re: Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:14 am

nfbandon wrote:They don't have high rough around the greens because this is not a parkland golf course. The greens are elevated and the closely mowed areas make the course more challenging. I agree greens with this much slope were never intended to be this fast. There were two 66s before the wind picked up in the afternoon. Davis admits the wind surprised them and the course got a bit away from them. I think they will water it tonight and it will be fine tomorrow. This kind of thing isn't unique to the modern era. Remember Winged Foot with Hale winning at +7?

I think Mike Davis is simply unfit to be head of the USGA. How long have they been hosting US Opens? The course got away from them?
The fast green craze is the one thing that REALLY can make the game unfair. You can't predict wind, and if it happens, greens can get wind swept,
rock hard, sun scorched etc. If you have some grass on the greens, then you can put the focus on other areas to make the course tough. The greens
could be 7 on the stimp and if the fairwways are 30 yards wide with 8 inch rough and small greens, 6600 can keep US Open scores around par easily....
AND IT BEING FAIR! Hit the ball straight, stick your irons into the proper part of the green and play the great game.

Davis just sounds so lost to me. Every year it's something different. Some excuse about it being too easy, too tough, respect for tradition, keeping up with
the modern game... he's just all over the place and it shows. He needs to go. I can see why Fred Ridley over at Augusta made the comment "as long as we are still talking".

This does seem like a decent approach to setting up a Super Golf Open. Super wide fairways, but with deep rough if you hit it 100 yards off line. Huge greens with difficult undulations and shaved roll offs around the greens.

Today, both the players and fans seemed angry. That should not be the objective.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 am

What an interesting Open to watch. I think if anything, we've seen a golf course that would destroy even the most accomplished ball striker. To shoot E or better in the afternoon wave would have take heroics and a literal SHIT TON of luck.

I laugh thinking about the media coverage saying that 2004 will never happen again...oops.

Truth is, I personally believe the technology in the game has made the job of setting up a US Open very difficult. As a retired military member, I can tell you the Mike Davis is probably not completely to blame(USGA is a rather large bureaucracy too), but I will say I am disappointed in his leadership. He has a real opportunity to do something historic with this game, but it just seems like all he does is damage control and fluff media moments.

Oh well, the game will continue to go on...and I think we may just see one of the best open finishes in history today--regardless of the conditions. CHEERS BOYS!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:14 am

Ded2Journey wrote:What an interesting Open to watch. I think if anything, we've seen a golf course that would destroy even the most accomplished ball striker. To shoot E or better in the afternoon wave would have take heroics and a literal SHIT TON of luck.

I laugh thinking about the media coverage saying that 2004 will never happen again...oops.

Truth is, I personally believe the technology in the game has made the job of setting up a US Open very difficult. As a retired military member, I can tell you the Mike Davis is probably not completely to blame(USGA is a rather large bureaucracy too), but I will say I am disappointed in his leadership. He has a real opportunity to do something historic with this game, but it just seems like all he does is damage control and fluff media moments.

Oh well, the game will continue to go on...and I think we may just see one of the best open finishes in history today--regardless of the conditions. CHEERS BOYS!

It is something different, for better or worse. I don't mind a course being extremely tough, but a proper competition should be fair in that if you hit a good shot, it should not be severely punished often (ball hits pin and bounces into lake etc). There should always be a way to get the ball onto the fairway. There should always be a way to get the ball onto the green (outside of 50 mph winds) and the greens should never be so fast that a golf ball won't stay on the green within 10 feet of the hole. A putt from above the hole can be difficult but should never be so slick that it is impossible to keep the ball from rolling off the green.

If they don't want to tighten the fairways up so that players have to hit irons off tees etc, then they could properly lengthen the courses by 15% so that the traditional US Open set up of 6800 yards becomes 7820. The ball is going 15% farther, so the course needs to be 15% longer. It's 5th grade math that the USGA can't wrap their heads around.

Even Phil said he liked the fairways this week because he felt he could get the ball into the fairways as they were wide enough.

Anytime people start talking about what's wrong with golf, the USGA etc.. it's a good conversation to have. Super Golf is not going away, I get that, but the classic game was a better game across the boards and should never have been thrown under the bus, with no organization more to blame than the USGA
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:36 pm

That was a great US Open. Yes, they had some pin positions yesterday afternoon that became unfair, but otherwise the course showed very well. Keopka made the putts because he played confidently, without fear. Putts rolled true for him. Others were tight and they couldn't. Great display of power and touch by Keopka.
nfbandon

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:35 pm

I decided to watch today's final round. After watching three players in a row hit the ball on the green from rough that looked impossible, clearly it wasn't.

I just turned it off and went out to lunch with an old friend.

USGA events I played in, you literally had to hack the ball out of the rough often with a wedge or rarely more than an 8 iron to advance the ball 100 yards.
It was like a penalty shot, more than half a penalty shot really.

It was nearly impossible yesterday... today a 63?

USGA is just all over the place.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:46 am

It was an interesting Sunday. I thought the setup was decent. 15 of the 67 guys shot under par, so it wasn't too easy but the guys hitting good shots made birdie.

I'm not a fan of Brooks, but he played great. He had some phenomenal par saves. DJ was shaky with the putter all weekend.
k2baloo

Postby Wknhacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:53 am

It was a good US Open. Not great, but not terrible either. Saturday was an aberration.

Congrats to Brooks Koepka on back to back wins.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby nfbandon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am

I disagree. As for 63s. Miller shot one in '73, Nicklaus and Weiskolf in '80 and Singh in 02' at Olympia Fields. It was a stern but fair test for all but three hours. It was good to get away from the public golf experiment of Chambers Bay and Erin Hills. Next year is Pebble. BTW Fleetwood has a very good swing. Koepka is the new face of the game. 6'4", 220...a great athlete that plays golf really, really well.
nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 am

I'm also a fan of Fleetwood and like his swing a lot.

Brooks is not even close to 6'4" 220. He's listed at 6' 185 pounds.
k2baloo

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking