Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Re: Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 am

It's a different game Super Golf.
The organization that runs it is different... totally different. Same name, so it adds confusion.

The Classic game US Open was always very narrow fairways, high rough that you could not get a club through very often, mostly hacking it back into the fairway, not putting the ball on the green very often. The courses were usually in the 6800, 6900 range. The greens were smaller because they played the classic tracks that were designed with smaller greens. The greens were firm and quick. It was a test of accuracy off the tee... not 80 yard wide fairways.
The greens were not shaved off the sides like what we have seen in recent Super Golf Opens.

The clubs, balls, shoes, courses, rules, set up, commentary, it's flat out a different game. For better or worse, pick your version to embrace.
What I don't like is the USGA insisting it's the same game, and putting up historical comparisons as if they have any actual relevance or similarity at all. They don't.

I personally have to stop watching events like this, or the Masters for that matter. This is as similar as hockey is to soccer. There is a goal with a net, and a goalie and people moving around a rectangular arena trying to get an object into the net. If I love soccer do I have to like hockey or visa versa? As obvious as those two games appear to be different, they are more similar than one might think. While Classic golf and Super golf have similarities, hockey and soccer acknowledge and respect themselves as completely different games.

Whether Fleetwood has a great Super Golf swing etc is beyond the point. He's hitting into 80 yard wide fairways and hitting wedges or short irons into the par 4's.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:33 am

Isn't that what the design gurus did to Shinnecock Hills, making holes longer to accommodate a juiced ball while simultaneously widening, by HUGE amounts, the landing areas for tee shots? Pretty goofy if you ask me. I reckon anyone can hit Ohio with a cannon ball from Michigan, but watching some of those drives find Indiana is beyond ridiculous for that level of play.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby nfbandon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Fairways averaged 41 yards, and SH has considerable roll in the fairways so they play considerably tighter than that. The longer holes were wider, of course, but that is always tge case. With all due respect know the facts before commenting based on a preconceived view.
nfbandon

Postby nfbandon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:49 pm

K2 I stand corrected on his height, but there is noway he is 185. Regardless, the point is still valid. He is a great athlete that would excel in other sports.
nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm

That's what he's listed at on the tour's website. No idea why it would be or if it's inaccurate. I haven't seen him in person. But weight is a funny thing. I come in just a hair under 200 lbs even though I look pretty thin.

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.36689.brooks-koepka.html
k2baloo

Postby Range Rat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:20 pm

If you're referring to my facts where is my factual error? I'm just using what I heard from our local fake news outlet. :lol:
Range Rat

Postby nfbandon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:00 pm

2018/06/10/everything-you-need-know-about-shinnecock-hills-host-2018-us-open

41 yards...not 80...and with the roll, added length and wind...41 is pretty tight.
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:16 pm

I didn't use numbers so not sure where you're getting 80. I think one of the TV guys mentioned the widening the fairways and may have used "huge" but that might have been my take on his words, not sure. Sounds like bottom line just like I said, absent "huge" the fairways were widened to suit the juice ball. Weren't US Opens back in day set up to pinch the landing areas in a risk reward attempt: lay short of the fairways bunkers in a wide open fairway or fly the bunkers but to a pinched area.

Sounds the the Indian council on Long Island decided to make it easier to land a ball hit into never never land. From the link you provided:

Today was my first walk ever around Shinnecock Hills. I will say this with confidence. Long hitters will have the advantage and one of em will hoist the trophy
— ted scott (@jtedscott) June 10, 2018

Why not pinch the fairways at the landing area while increasing overall hole length. Now that would be a fair test.
Range Rat

Postby nfbandon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:51 pm

They were pinched on many holes. John used 80.
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:23 am

Range Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking