Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:44 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=121Rr4qyIHE&t=10s[/youtube]

Please start at 1:30 mark...I don't think I agree with everything Tiger is saying, how about you?

Anyone here buy this? Are we finally going to see some real U.S. Opens for a while?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Postby LesMurray » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:39 am

Ded2Journey wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=121Rr4qyIHE&t=10s[/youtube]

Please start at 1:30 mark...I don't think I agree with everything Tiger is saying, how about you?

Anyone here buy this? Are we finally going to see some real U.S. Opens for a while?

Can't have any additional variables in the URL other than watch?

LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 am

It's seems to me Tiger made the point that today's US Open is not what he grew up seeing, tight fairways, long rough, fast hard greens.

He said they have cut down over 500 trees on the upcoming event, lengthened the course by 500 yards etc.
While these events might be playing on the classic courses, these events are not being played on the courses how they were originally designed and set up.

My point as always would be to take a step back and look at the game itself. Then objectively match the course with the gear being used so they it matches up correctly. The design of the greens must match the trajectory or the approach shots and the risk and reward scenarios should be as intended.

Playing Super Golf on a classic track is silly. Playing Classic Golf on a 7500 yard Super Course is silly.

I'll wait until the knuckleheads at the USGA get this stuff sorted out properly, then all the crazy comparisons about old vs new, then vs now, modern vs old school etc go away, and we have two games like we should and how most other sports have properly bifurcated.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:07 am

THANK YOU AS ALWAYS LES...I was in a hurry...

lagpressure wrote:It's seems to me Tiger made the point that today's US Open is not what he grew up seeing, tight fairways, long rough, fast hard greens.

He said they have cut down over 500 trees on the upcoming event, lengthened the course by 500 yards etc.
While these events might be playing on the classic courses, these events are not being played on the courses how they were originally designed and set up.

My point as always would be to take a step back and look at the game itself. Then objectively match the course with the gear being used so they it matches up correctly. The design of the greens must match the trajectory or the approach shots and the risk and reward scenarios should be as intended.

Playing Super Golf on a classic track is silly. Playing Classic Golf on a 7500 yard Super Course is silly.

I'll wait until the knuckleheads at the USGA get this stuff sorted out properly, then all the crazy comparisons about old vs new, then vs now, modern vs old school etc go away, and we have two games like we should and how most other sports have properly bifurcated.

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby nfbandon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 am

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-ope ... shinnecock

Good article on SH. Raymond Floyd may have saved the day. The removal of trees by Crenshaw doesn't bother me, since there weren't a lot of trees there when originally designed (I don't think) and it is a quasi-links course. The lengthening is an unfortunate necessity. A 40 yard fairway with the added length sounds about right. It looks like the rough will be penal. Looking forward to SH. It is one of my favorite courses.
nfbandon

Postby LesMurray » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

nfbandon wrote:https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2018-dont-mess-this-up-its-crucial-that-the-usga-gets-it-right-at-shinnecock

Good article on SH. Raymond Floyd may have saved the day. The removal of trees by Crenshaw doesn't bother me, since there weren't a lot of trees there when originally designed (I don't think) and it is a quasi-links course. The lengthening is an unfortunate necessity. A 40 yard fairway with the added length sounds about right. It looks like the rough will be penal. Looking forward to SH. It is one of my favorite courses.

A quote from Davis at the end of the article, "Conversely, if we err in an area of governance, it detracts from what we do at our championships. Our mission—our North Star—is to make the game better."

Seems they have lost their way with their mission.
LesMurray

Postby nfbandon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:05 pm

If you have seen the course I don't know how you could be critical. Of course, on these links courses it is all about the wind. Mickelson was there recently and said it was the best US Open setup he has ever seen during his playing years.
nfbandon

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 pm

nfbandon wrote:If you have seen the course I don't know how you could be critical. Of course, on these links courses it is all about the wind. Mickelson was there recently and said it was the best US Open setup he has ever seen during his playing years.

I for one am incredibly excited...this will be my first time seeing the pro's play it. Besides, it looks pretty damn good to me:
Attachments
shinnecock-hills-clubhouse-usga.jpg
shinnecock-hills-clubhouse-usga.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Ded2Journey

Postby nfbandon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Mickelson said the fescue off the intermediate cut was so thick all you could do was punch out. That is old school. :D
nfbandon

Postby LesMurray » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Grady, forgive me if my comment came off as critical of them setting up the Open. I was speaking much more generally of their stewardship of the game over the last couple of decades.

Here is the 1986 Open at Shinnecock won by Raymond Floyd. This is video 1 of 15.

Interesting that both in '86 and '94 Norman had a chance to win the Open here.
LesMurray

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking