The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby LesMurray » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

nfbandon wrote:Good stuff from Gary...

Clear left hip before impact

Hogan kept left arm into his armpit in takeaway to avoid the club getting inside the hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkxmr2wMyU

LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm

History revisited, but follows what Player has to say about lead arm @12:55.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby LesMurray » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Speaking of Gary Player... a little sand lesson

LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Hogansearcher wrote:Lag,

Mr.Hogan's left arm was always very extended and ridged. As fast as he swung the club, do you think he was just super strong to do that?
It's an area I have always struggled with.

Thanks

The left arm actually stays straight, firm, extended or rigid due more to the action of the right arm. The right arm can apply a stretching pressure against the left hand to keep the left arm straight. Then this combined with the rotational direction of the shoulders, then the clubhead and hand path, and you can have what Hogan had.... a backswing that will aid naturally in slotting the club through transition.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Hogansearcher » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 pm

Thanks for the insight on the left arm!
I have been working on it mostly indoors as the weather has been a bit daunting.
I finally got out to hit some balls as I was shocked how much more power my swing now has with such a simple adjustment.
Other than a bit of muscle fatigue at first, I think I am past that now. Really making a difference in my longer clubs.

I don't remember Mr Hogan addressing this in either of his books, but clearly he was applying this principle. What else didn't he tell us? :lol:
Hogansearcher

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:15 am

lagpressure wrote:
Hogansearcher wrote:Lag,

Mr.Hogan's left arm was always very extended and ridged. As fast as he swung the club, do you think he was just super strong to do that?
It's an area I have always struggled with.

Thanks

The left arm actually stays straight, firm, extended or rigid due more to the action of the right arm. The right arm can apply a stretching pressure against the left hand to keep the left arm straight. Then this combined with the rotational direction of the shoulders, then the clubhead and hand path, and you can have what Hogan had.... a backswing that will aid naturally in slotting the club through transition.

Fascinating stuff Lag...but I would argue it is the inertia of the club head doing a lot of the straightening. At least that's what I've experienced through this process. I understand how Hogan used his forearms to rotate the club on plane and build pressures, but I don't quite see how the right arm is facilitating the work? To me, the work the right arm does...is a part of reacting to the forces you are working to build from the moment you "trigger" the swing (with both arms). The "stretch" is more a pulling of the clubhead via angular momentum(in my humble estimation)...I'm curious how you came to concluded it was the right arm?

I mean I "feel" what you're talking about...but it seems pretty much out of my control once the club gets moving. I'm just dancing with it after the first few inches...

Also, Hogansearcher...notice at address his arms are not rigid. Pretty sure that's a clue too...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 am

Ded2Journey wrote:Fascinating stuff Lag...but I would argue it is the inertia of the club head doing a lot of the straightening. At least that's what I've experienced through this process. I understand how Hogan used his forearms to rotate the club on plane and build pressures, but I don't quite see how the right arm is facilitating the work? To me, the work the right arm does...is a part of reacting to the forces you are working to build from the moment you "trigger" the swing (with both arms). The "stretch" is more a pulling of the clubhead via angular momentum(in my humble estimation)...I'm curious how you came to concluded it was the right arm?

I think Lag is referring to the backswing more than the downswing. Applying some push with the right hand/arm in the backswing helps keep the left arm straight and rigid.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Yes, correct....
the backswing is where the push outward with the right arm aids in keeping the left arm straight.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 pm

I was thinking about all of this today as the goats came and cleaned out the canyon. I hiked down and gathered a years worth of "deck balls" and thought about how Hogan's swing is still a mystery to most. I have spent a lot of time thinking about it this last year, and it's really "coming home" to me as a much simpler motion than I might have thought years ago.

To refresh here...

1. Flat, heavy, stiff clubs with no offset.
2. A quick tempo golf swing.
3. Backswing that moves with the correct path and intention of slotting the club with a FULL shoulder rotation. Left arm on shoulder line at top.
4. The transitional shallowing of the clubshaft. The GOD MOVE.
5. Weight transferring starts the downswing... delaying the opening and rotation of the torso, hips, shoulders.
6. Shaft works down from the slot to the 4:30 line, shaft intersecting the Chi center.
7. Shaft works through the strike from right to left hip pocket. Low, left and around.
8. Right arm near frozen through the strike from P3 to P4.
9. Hips, shoulders, torso accelerate through the strike... there is no stalling going on at all.
10. Shaft works high and extended into finish from low, left and around at P4, not out, flipped and rolled at P4. Left shoulder outracing the hands into finish PV5.

All of this is geared toward holding shaft flex through the strike, the primary hitters objective.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Goats.jpg
Goats.jpg (169.58 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking