The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby Range Rat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 am

:lol:

Fire up the BBQ......marinated goat cutlets with a little Chianti.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
User avatar
Range Rat
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:30 am

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby LesMurray » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 am

lagpressure wrote:
4. The transitional shallowing of the clubshaft. The GOD MOVE.
5. Weight transferring starts the downswing... delaying the opening and rotation of the torso, hips, shoulders.


Would you consider Super Slotting module highly recommended to master these two steps?

Also, love the goats out there. Need to get back to the deck!
User avatar
LesMurray
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby lagpressure » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm

LesMurray wrote:
lagpressure wrote:
4. The transitional shallowing of the clubshaft. The GOD MOVE.
5. Weight transferring starts the downswing... delaying the opening and rotation of the torso, hips, shoulders.


Would you consider Super Slotting module highly recommended to master these two steps?

Also, love the goats out there. Need to get back to the deck!


Yes, it would be compatible... and working through that Module myself has led me to a better understanding of how Hogan went about things...
I think Hogan's way was a little different in that the backswing path is more critical on the one side and the movement of weight from specific points
on the right foot to the left foot is what makes that method work very fluidly.

There are so many ways to slot the club, from Jim Furyk to Raymond Floyd... so the SS Module is more designed as a broader application.... and it's not necessarily easy. Hogan's method feels to me to be the most direct and on point to the objective of flattening the shaft and slotting the club.

I like efficiency most... I wish I knew what I know now 40 years ago! But hindsight isn't always so efficient!
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8160
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby Supinator2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 pm

lagpressure wrote:
Goats.jpg


Is that an impact bag I see?
Supinator2
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:04 am

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby lagpressure » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Supinator2 wrote:
lagpressure wrote:
Goats.jpg


Is that an impact bag I see?


Sure is... that bag is always "On the Deck"!
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8160
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:35 am

lagpressure wrote:
LesMurray wrote:
lagpressure wrote:
I like efficiency most... I wish I knew what I know now 40 years ago! But hindsight isn't always so efficient!



Amen...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby Hogansearcher » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Lag,

I just wanted to thank you for spending time with me and it was the by far the most insightful golf lesson I have ever had.
I feel like I am starting to feel the pieces come together. The backswing concept I just never would have thought of it that way, but knowing now, it makes
perfect sense. When I watch Hogan films now, I see them in a completely different light. Do you think you will make this part of your ABS teaching system?
Hogansearcher
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:00 pm

Hogansearcher wrote:Lag,

I just wanted to thank you for spending time with me and it was the by far the most insightful golf lesson I have ever had.
I feel like I am starting to feel the pieces come together. The backswing concept I just never would have thought of it that way, but knowing now, it makes
perfect sense. When I watch Hogan films now, I see them in a completely different light. Do you think you will make this part of your ABS teaching system?


I would think so. It's a natural evolution in teaching the golf swing. Study the game's greatest striker, learn the methodology, then find a way to explain and implement the core dynamics in a way that can be more easily communicated than what has been offered to the golfing public so far.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8160
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby LesMurray » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:47 am

I've worked with Lag on the Hogan specific drills (whip the belt, free fall).

One thing I've found is watching George Knudson videos to be helpful in understanding the free fall move. In his swing you can clearly see him doing this sit down / hip bump type of move to start transition. This move and his tempo give me a strong visual of what I am trying to do.
User avatar
LesMurray
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:15 am

LesMurray wrote:I've worked with Lag on the Hogan specific drills (whip the belt, free fall).

One thing I've found is watching George Knudson videos to be helpful in understanding the free fall move. In his swing you can clearly see him doing this sit down / hip bump type of move to start transition. This move and his tempo give me a strong visual of what I am trying to do.


The key is to save the pivot rotation for much later in the swing... so that the hips, core, shoulders are accelerating through the strike and not just trying to get the club moving as fast as possible from the top then glide it into impact like the modern swings are doing. Light clubs are a killer. Heavier clubs engage the core muscles and facilitate this kind of action much more efficiently.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8160
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

cron