My Hickory Experience...

My Hickory Experience...

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:51 am

Hello Gang. Long time no speak...life is fun, no? I've been down in Buckeye, AZ. working on the game--making friends. One day after my Tuesday clinic, I was offered a chance to play hickory golf!

The clubs were re-makes, but legit. Also, I was fortunate enough to play with the former national hickory champion (Tom). What a great guy, beautiful (Peter Thompson motion), and great fedora. I'm not much for pictures (unless it's a golf swing), but the hat alone was worth a few. It was a relatively cool overcast day with a lot of wind, so the course was dead. Dave, Tom, Jim and I hit the links.

On the first hole, I played my modern gear...mostly out of a self conscious space. Luckily, I birdied the first hole and my ego let down the guard. Curiosity set in. Tom walked up to me on the second hole and handed me a spoon (2W), smiled and said just swing a few. The curiosity faded into pure nirvana once I took hold of this golf club. It was as if God handed me this club out of "Golf in the Kingdom". It seemed that all the energy, inertia, years of drilling, and self doubt just vaporized to reveal what I must define as "DIVINE INSPIRATION". I felt what could never be described...and for those of you that know of this feeling...it is amplified 1000X with a hickory in your hand. It was about a 240 carry over desert to get to the fairway, but I figured I could do it...I'm hitting the modern gear 280 carry nowadays, fudge it!

As I swept the grass with this club, I honestly began tearing up. I had literally stepped through the gates of heaven and entered a forgotten realm of magical amplified connection to the source. I was experiencing God for the first time in my life...and when I made contact with the ball...HE embraced me.

I smoked my drive 280 yards (modern ball) with about 50 yards of roll...they fly low. I never touched another one of my modern clubs the rest of the day. shot even par hitting every green and fairway in regulation. I woke up the next morning and sold my modern clubs, invested in blades again and began my search for persimmons.

For those of you that have never played or hit a hickory club before...I highly recommend getting a full set, and playing from the old timer's tees. I honestly had more fun playing hickory than any other way I've played in my 25+ years of golfing.
I was blown away at how well ABS fundamentals worked with the ole mashies and spoons. My only regret was that I didn't have any balata's on hand to play with. Finally, I am so thankful for this experience and I hope you all can find a chance to enjoy these beautiful works of art too!

Final note, I've learned that the modern ball responds rather well to mass...but I lacked the technique to move the ball before. As I've "earned" my speed over the years...I'm certain that persimmons could still be played on the modern tour. For what it's worth... :o
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: My Hickory Experience...

Postby LesMurray » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 am

Look at McIntyre golf balls. They make replica gutta purchas and balatas approved for all hickory events. Looks like the "RTJ" is the closest thing to a modern balata. Looks a lot like an old Dunlop Dot.

http://www.mcintyregolf.com/replica-golf-balls

Interesting on your take of ABS fundamentals with hickory clubs. I always thought that it wasn't until steel shafts that you could really apply torque to the shaft as hickory shafts are more fragile.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Enjoyed reading that very much. Fantastic that you shot even, and more importantly, enjoyed yourself out there.
Thanks for writing it up.
k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:Hello Gang. Long time no speak...life is fun, no? I've been down in Buckeye, AZ. working on the game--making friends. One day after my Tuesday clinic, I was offered a chance to play hickory golf!

The clubs were re-makes, but legit. Also, I was fortunate enough to play with the former national hickory champion (Tom). What a great guy, beautiful (Peter Thompson motion), and great fedora. I'm not much for pictures (unless it's a golf swing), but the hat alone was worth a few. It was a relatively cool overcast day with a lot of wind, so the course was dead. Dave, Tom, Jim and I hit the links.

On the first hole, I played my modern gear...mostly out of a self conscious space. Luckily, I birdied the first hole and my ego let down the guard. Curiosity set in. Tom walked up to me on the second hole and handed me a spoon (2W), smiled and said just swing a few. The curiosity faded into pure nirvana once I took hold of this golf club. It was as if God handed me this club out of "Golf in the Kingdom". It seemed that all the energy, inertia, years of drilling, and self doubt just vaporized to reveal what I must define as "DIVINE INSPIRATION". I felt what could never be described...and for those of you that know of this feeling...it is amplified 1000X with a hickory in your hand. It was about a 240 carry over desert to get to the fairway, but I figured I could do it...I'm hitting the modern gear 280 carry nowadays, fudge it!

As I swept the grass with this club, I honestly began tearing up. I had literally stepped through the gates of heaven and entered a forgotten realm of magical amplified connection to the source. I was experiencing God for the first time in my life...and when I made contact with the ball...HE embraced me.

I smoked my drive 280 yards (modern ball) with about 50 yards of roll...they fly low. I never touched another one of my modern clubs the rest of the day. shot even par hitting every green and fairway in regulation. I woke up the next morning and sold my modern clubs, invested in blades again and began my search for persimmons.

For those of you that have never played or hit a hickory club before...I highly recommend getting a full set, and playing from the old timer's tees. I honestly had more fun playing hickory than any other way I've played in my 25+ years of golfing.
I was blown away at how well ABS fundamentals worked with the ole mashies and spoons. My only regret was that I didn't have any balata's on hand to play with. Finally, I am so thankful for this experience and I hope you all can find a chance to enjoy these beautiful works of art too!

Final note, I've learned that the modern ball responds rather well to mass...but I lacked the technique to move the ball before. As I've "earned" my speed over the years...I'm certain that persimmons could still be played on the modern tour. For what it's worth... :o

Thanks for sharing.... just wonderful!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 am

Thank you all...looking into those Mcintyre balls now. If I order any I'll post up my thoughts.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Good story D2J!! Tad Moore hickories? Neighbor has a full set and have hit them, but not played them, and are fun. Have a friend who has a bunch of real old hickories from across the pond, hit those too, and they seemed a little softer than the new Tad Moore irons.

Here's Ayers laying into one with a hickory and IIRC he said he smacked it pretty good.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:14 am

Range Rat wrote:Good story D2J!! Tad Moore hickories? Neighbor has a full set and have hit them, but not played them, and are fun. Have a friend who has a bunch of real old hickories from across the pond, hit those too, and they seemed a little softer than the new Tad Moore irons.

Here's Ayers laying into one with a hickory and IIRC he said he smacked it pretty good.

RR,

Yes, Tad Moore sticks are what I ended up hitting...phenomenal.
Ded2Journey

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:20 am

k2baloo wrote:Enjoyed reading that very much. Fantastic that you shot even, and more importantly, enjoyed yourself out there.
Thanks for writing it up.

I may have ignored a few 4 footers that day...lol, I was like a kid again. :mrgreen:
Ded2Journey

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking