12.jpg
12.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (628.96 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Mare Island Golf Course Closure

Postby lagpressure » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am

A lot of thoughts run through my mind as I grapple with the reality of Mare Island Golf Course closing.
First off... I LOVE this golf course.
This is a real shotmakers, players track. This isn't necessarily a "user friendly" golf course particularly in the modern game of "Super Golf".
This is a few design changes away from hosting the 1975 US Open.

This course being built originally as a nine hole layout in 1892. There have been some changes and additions over the years, but regardless, it's a phenomenal test of
a golfer's abilities.

If nothing else, it's just a breathtaking beautiful golf course sitting on the Northern top of the San Francisco Bay. Even without the course it's a stunning piece or real estate.

The current owners are an LLC of sorts.... 4 Chinese investors who I don't think have direct involvement with the course, and apparently bought it a few years back and haven't paid
the property taxes which will land it on the county auction block in a couple years.

This could be a great opportunity I would think.

If I could buy it, I would make a few minor changes, add some length to it, some Alister MacKenzie (Cypress Point Style) bunkering, and make it rival any golf course on this earth.
I think it could be either a wonderful Private Country Club, or remain as a public offering.

It could also just be a total rollback of the game and literally have the course mowed by goats or sheep... and just played in that way with very little maintenance as the game was originally.
That could be a solution for the game moving forward as well.

Of course I think about the game first and the course... and believe golf was set up correctly before... and the new changes to the game have been harmful across the boards. Had golf been left alone, it would have prospered just fine... or done well enough to continue as a great game for it's loyalists.

The course will certainly be bought on the auction I would imagine. Someone will end up with this property. I don't see the City of Vallejo having any interest in the course.
Developers will have a hard time getting permits to build housing or whatever on top of it. The property has major issues with environmentalist and also toxic garbage left over from the Navy decades ago. With all that, it could potentially remain a golf course... or become part of the Mare Island Park Preserve.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts and or ideas..
I know many of you have played the course.

What do you think?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 am

The pictures alone are stunning, I wish I could have played it. I definitely have some wheels spinning. Sold for 2.1 million in 2014, wonder what value and/or potential auction price would be today...

Seems like a great opportunity. I would say find <100 like minded golfers for an initial investment that either eliminates or greatly reduces the need for debt to purchase. Each initial investor is given % equity and membership based on contribution. Find competent management (could be from the investment group or hired) and run the thing frugally. And by investors, I mean serious golfers who want to preserve the site and play it, not make some tourist or Real Estate eye sore out of it.

I would vote keep it close to current design. Could be a beautiful place for the Inaugural YouTube Persimmon Open?? Just an idea that's been brewing in my head for a while :D

Being completely serious if someone could help round up such a group and knows how to navigate the legal/financial mess of such a purchase, I would be very interested in participating.
k2baloo

Postby Turfrider » Fri May 03, 2019 12:18 pm

John Ashworth of Linksoul is someone who comes to mind. He initiated a group to save and run Goat Hill Park in Oceanside. Might be worth picking his brain.
Turfrider

Postby Range Rat » Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Multiple owners, indeed.

Same layout, without question

Build a Hooters on the Island, priceless.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm

I spoke with a guy that seemed to know a bit about the situation. He runs the Mare Island Railroad Museum.
He's also an avid golfer and loves the track. He knew all the clubs in my bag, original Armour 985 irons etc.

This is what he said...

The Chinese group that bought the club was nothing more than a visa scam. If you invest 500K in this country, you get some kind of extended visas or something.
The LLC partnership was made up of 4 people. They never paid the property tax or had any involvement in the golf course. He said there are a few people interested
and looking at the situation. He gave me his card, and I am going to call him soon.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 am

If we can find out what the tax liability amount is, it is possible to move into first position on this property. That to me seems to be the first step. To get control on a piece of property of this nature for what could be a very reasonable price puts that party in a very good place to drive what the future of this course can become.
LesMurray

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking