Bending a Bore Through Iron

Bending a Bore Through Iron

Postby TheCrow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm picking up a set of 1985 Wilson Staff Tour Blades on Friday and they have the bore through hosel. Will bending them be an issue? I'm looking to go about 4* flat from the factory specs. A little flatter than the Hogans I'm playing right now.
TheCrow

Re: Bending a Bore Through Iron

Postby 1badbadger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 am

I realize this question was posted a couple of years ago, but I think it's still worth answering. When bending any iron, but especially older blades that have a long hosel or a bore-through design like the Wilson irons originally asked about, remember to position the bending bar as close to the bottom of the hosel as possible.

I have seen many times when someone who isn't experienced at adjusting loft/lie angles, or when it's done in a rush and things get sloppy, guys will position the bar too high up, which basically puts a kink in the middle of the hosel. If the adjustment is like 1* for example, it's not that noticeable, but when lie angles are moved several degrees it becomes obvious. Yes, the lie angle will look like the measurement is correct, but it's not the right way to do it.

One way to visualize what I mean is imagine clamping down an iron in a bending machine, and rather than bending the hosel, placing the bar just above the ferrule and bending the shaft 4* flat. Just kink the shaft right at the top of the ferrule by 4*. That club would measure 4* flat, because the angle of the shaft is measured, not the angle of the hosel. But obviously that's not the proper way to adjust an iron. This is an exaggerated analogy of course, but it's just to help picture what I mean. Keep the bar low, and use slow, steady pressure and you'll be fine. No, quick or aggressive movements for this task!
1badbadger

Return to Club Repair and ABS alterations