Adding weight in shaft

Adding weight in shaft

Postby Mystery man » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:46 am

Just experimenting with a few older muscle back clubs I have lying around . In order to make a club " head heavy" I was thinking of adding tungsten powder/ lead pellets of even pellet gun ammo in half the shaft. Topped off by a 2 inch layer of actual epoxy to not allow the material towards the head to rise .

A recipe of a champion / semi genius .. IMHO

Thoughts from club making gurus ?
One in the oven
Mystery man

Re: Adding weight in shaft

Postby NRG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:03 am

Standard practice round here.

Except most probably hold it in place with a cork dipped in glue and rammed down the shaft.
NRG

Postby mdrretired » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:31 pm

Consider using a wadded bit of tissue or paper towel rammed down on top of the lead powder then follow that with a bit of cork cut from a wine cork. Lead powder is a lot cheaper than alternatives and nearly as heavy. It also compresses well and will not rattle. Glue is too messy.
mdrretired

Postby Mystery man » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:34 am

Thanks , some great ideas

I also have access to tungsten powder as well. Will try many many different options , as I have multiple sets to work with. Forearm strength/ radius has never been my worry , my issue is I'm physically too strong for golf. Many golfers lack physical strength and are extremely weak in general ..imho .. Which is an advantage to really developing a good swing . For a decade I was very very big in powerlifting and building lean muscle mass. The muscle I built has never left , infact I'm even stronger now due to my field of work. All clubs feel as light as a feather , and so light I can't even feel the head of the club. I'm positive by weighing it down extremely heavy with combination of golf drills will allow me to progress very nicely in this program.

I want to max out the head weight as high as I can take it . And if I mess it up it isn't the end of the world
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby mdrretired » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:39 pm

The old M-85 MacGregor irons had very heavy shafts so if you get a set of those you can probably build a monster heavy club. They are almost ABS specs in original form. Given your specific strength issues this might be a solution.
mdrretired

Postby Newman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:58 am

mdrretired wrote:The old M-85 MacGregor irons had very heavy shafts so if you get a set of those you can probably build a monster heavy club. They are almost ABS specs in original form. Given your specific strength issues this might be a solution.

Mike is right, these shafts are awesome.
There's some pulls up for grabs right now on eBay if you're interested:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=150985638712
Newman

Postby Mystery man » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15 am

You guys are the best . What a great site and what a world class program .

All the sets I own are extremely light, perfect for the dump and flip golf. Not so great for learning a proper swing motion.
Thanks
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby mdrretired » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Great looking shafts and the grips are amazing for the age. One consideration - these will be standard length probably and 1/2" short of Lag's specs.
mdrretired

Return to Club Repair and ABS alterations