The Masters Complete Final Round Coverage

Re: The Masters Complete Final Round Coverage

Postby Styles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:11 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
Styles wrote:...- I thought no one missed fairways with persimmons??!!! ...

Stick to teaching putting. Nobody here has ever made that claim. Your statements are neither clever, thought provoking, ironic, nor educational.

Captain Chaos

You're mean Dom DeLuise, mean, mean, mean.

ps I don't teach putting. Green reading friend, green reading.
Styles

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 am

Styles wrote:You're mean Dom DeLuise, mean, mean, mean.

ps I don't teach putting. Green reading friend, green reading.

If I recall my history....Hellen Keller taught reading in much the same manner I would guess.

Captain Chaos
CaptainChaos

Postby Styles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Oh dear, are you making jokes at the expense of the disabled??

Shame on you captain chaos, rip at me all you like but I think joking at the expense of the disabled is taking the joke a step too far.
Styles

Postby lagpressure » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Has anyone else watched the whole clip here I posted?

There really is a lot to study and consider in approaching the game.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby apples2967 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

I watched it all, loved it

Steve
apples2967

Postby lagpressure » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 am

So now of course we look and Langer.
How did he get it done?

From when coverage picked up..
he birdies 5 which is a great birdie.
Hits the greens on 6, 7, 8, and 9.

Hits a bad drive on 10 and gets a break clipping a pine and ending up in the fairway. With a long iron in.. misses just short but straight below the hole for a fairly easy conversion.

Hits a great shot into 11, then sticks in in tight on 12 and makes birdie.. which is rare there. Fantastic stuff.
Knocks it on both 13 and 15 in two and converts for birdies there, while hitting fairway and green on 14 for par.
Plays a good iron into 16 just past pin high right and has a fairly easy two putt.

17, great drive, sticks it close with an 8 iron and makes birdie.. really seals it up there.

With a two shot lead, plays 1 iron off the tee, just nails it 230 yards leaving a 4 iron approach. Safe play to win the event is out to the right. Right bunker is an easy shot with the pin left and plenty of green. He can only lose the tournament if he misses left. He probably aimed at the right edge of the green and hit it right on that line just pushing it a hair. A good swing and avoids the disaster that could come from going left. If he tugs the iron a bit.. he would be on the green. Instead he is into the right bunker safely. Great shot out to 6 feet. Probably chokes a bit on the putt pulling it left.. but good enough for the green jacket, as Strange fails to birdie 18.

The only bad swing Langer made was the drive on 10. I would say the 4 iron into 18 was well planned and executed. That was the correct leave. He didn't need birdie.. not even par... just needed to take 6 out of the equation which he did.

Between Langer and Strange, you see top notch ball striking. They are not ping ponging the ball around into the pines or dogwoods. They are not missing many greens.. very rarely. Shots are positioned into the correct part of the fairways and greens. Long irons are in their hands on #4, #5, #10, #11, #13, #15.

So you have a really exciting Masters with 4 Hall of Fame golfers finishing on top the leaderboard. Langer, Strange, Seve, Floyd. Watson, Nicklaus not far behind them. This course was created and set up combining proper gear and a great strategic layout to showcase who the real master players are. Every year the best would rise to the top.

I don't feel The Masters now is consistently separating the cream from the curd.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby jimmyc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:43 am

i watched it all and enjoyed every minute.

thanks lag
jimmyc

Postby tim chapman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 am

yep me too, enjoyed it very much.
i want to stand on our 1st tee thinking 68 if i play nicely & 74 is about as bad as it can get
tim chapman

Postby tiil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 am

I've watched it 1,5 times now. Very much looking forward to the next installment of classic golf, whenever that may be.
tiil

Postby Richie3Jack » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:17 am

The big difference here between today's Masters is that Floyd starts off poorly, missing fairways wildly and then has to manage those misses the best way we he can to stick around. Whereas today you can miss wildly and it actually can put you in an *advantageous* position if you're long enough. It's not a legitimately 'good' shot, it's just a ball hit a long ways and the course design not penalizing the golfer enough for a poor golf shot.

I think the Masters committee has gotten too much into Bobby Jones' and Nicklaus' style of play. I don't know about Jones since we truly don't have any metrics showing his skills and are more or less going on eye-witness accounts which could be greatly exaggerated. Yes, Nicklaus was super long off the tee. But, he was also extremely accurate. So this idea that Augusta was always supposed to be 'meant for bomber' is just a fallacy and a poorly thought out one at that. I could live with last year's Masters since it was the most exciting I've seen outside of Jack in '86. The contenders could hit it a long ways, but they were generally good ballstrikers and Schwartzel won by birdieing the last 4 holes.

But, odds are that will be the exception instead of the rule.

I honestly don't know why they don't grow out the rough there. I was at Bay Hill and the rough was much thicker than Augusta's, but it wasn't anywhere near traditional US Open rough. It was just there to make things genuinely more difficult if you missed the fairway. I don't understand why that concept comes off as invalid at the Masters.

3JACK
Richie3Jack

PreviousNext

Return to 85 Masters Complete Final Round Coverage