Swing Postings

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Swing Postings

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 pm

"I love it when my swing comes together" ~ Hannibal Smith

Funny you mentioned the difference between my no-ball practice swings (drills) and the with-ball hacks.

First drive about 20 minutes later was great contact, quite far for me, and rollllled to the right ha ha. Nothing like it did before I learned to 'bow'. But obviously OTT.
But I shook it off after the first hole and was feeling great, thus the record score.

To protect my elbow I'm going continue practicing drills without impacting a bag. Seriously, just one week of doing mod1 and mod2 and I dropped from a typical 125 every week for four-five months to a 96.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby LesMurray » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 am

Here's a range shot from a week ago. Without any intention to do so, my right leg is pretty straight in the back swing as I try to get into my right ankle and heel quite a bit.

I also like how I am accelerating all the way to the top. That is an intention as I work on my Mod 3. Now, just to get some more wrist action into the swing...

LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:23 am

I love the swing, Les. I get the feeling you're a very good wedge to mid iron player. Or at least it looks like you would be. Keep up the good work.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm

k2baloo wrote:I love the swing, Les. I get the feeling you're a very good wedge to mid iron player. Or at least it looks like you would be. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Kyle. Working hard on the swing to get the new year started off right. Really working on feeling acceleration after the strike.

Interesting at the range tonight. After seeing Lag's latest swing I was marveling and the looseness in his wrists. So I have been trying to work more wrist set at the top of the backswing. Well, tonight things seemed to just fall into place. I felt the right wrist load up as I let the wrist set. I found if I could build on that loaded feeling through the downswing then I could really accelerate after the strike. The ball goes so straight when I can pull that off.

It was like the whole ABS concept suddenly made much more sense. Why we lay the club off, why we need loose wrists, why post-impact acceleration is so important. And it's only taken me 5 years to uncover this nugget :D
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23 am

Loose wrist for most mean loose in the fingers, but we don't want that .... as students here know.
Firm grip, free, supple, flexible wrists. It's a skillset we learn in Module 5.

By having these proper hand and wrist attitudes, we can get the clubshaft working from behind our torso which then allows us to leverage
our rotation against the shaft with the pivot rather than the arms working independently as most golfers do.

Our legs act as a clutch so that we can shift from a backswing to a downswing without having to spend our rotational energy to soon.
Then this is further enhanced by shifting weight from right foot to left foot. There is a lot we can do with the lower body to help us get
the club working back toward the ball while saving our torso and forearm rotation for later.... when we really need it....through and beyond the strike.

Acceleration is always the key to great ball striking and really feeling and controlling what is going on through the impact arena. If arms, hands, torso all unleash too quickly, acceleration is lost.... and this happens all to often on the downswing if things are not sequences correctly.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Uncovered a couple of new nuggets today during my Friday 9 holes and following range session.

1) I was hitting a 5-iron off the tee on #5 and had the coolest feeling (with a great result). As I got to the top of the backswing and began my transition, I was almost anticipating my arms starting the swing first (danger will robinson). Instead, I felt myself initiate with right knee bend and then I just rotated through the shot. Hit it out to within 75 yds of the green in position A (I ended up making birdie).

2) Hitting 9-iron pitches on the range I really started to embrace the layoff and slotting the club. I was hitting little 3/4 shots that were flying over 120 yds! I get this Mod 8 feeling of really taking the club inside and laying it open with lots of forearm rotation. Then I get my right elbow glued to my body and just rotate through the shot. A little left side crunch post impact and the ball just shoots out there.

I feel like a kid who has tasted french vanilla ice cream for the first time. I'm starting to develop the feeling that to hit any shot I just need to hit that slot and come through the shot with my right hip pointing where I want the ball to go. More effort with the hip, the farther the shot. And then, just to put the cherry on top, add a little Mod 3 arm raise and you get nice high dead straight ball flight.

I'll try to put together another video in the next couple of weeks to see how things are looking.
LesMurray

Postby LesMurray » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Here's a quick vid I shot today. Tried a different angle to see if I could analyze the swing better.

The couple of things that really stick out to me as places to work are 1) backswing - I gotta get more shoulder turn and 2) I've still got some throwout of the right arm post impact.

Oh well, keep on drilling. I like how much better I am hitting the ball. Lot's of compression into the strike.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Good job Les,

It's really improving nicely. Much better sound at contact, better speed post impact.
Keep up the good work!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:40 pm

This has probably been posted somewhere here before but there are some big nuggets in this video of Moe. For those in Mod 8 - the Magic Trick!!!!

LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks Les. I LOVE watching videos of Moe swing and talking about the game!

I love his optimism and simplicity. His brute force approach to figure out the golf swing is admirable.
k2baloo

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers