Swing Postings

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Swing Postings

Postby HB51 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:25 am

Les....what is this "fist grip" you speak of. :?
Deano
HB51
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Swing Postings

Postby LesMurray » Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 pm

HB51 wrote:Les....what is this "fist grip" you speak of. :?
Deano


Hey Deano. Instead of gripping the club in your fingers of your right hand, instead make a fist and grip the club in the V formed between your thumb and forefinger. This will allow you to get the club deeper into the slot at transition.

I'll make a video about this next time I am at the range and post it.
User avatar
LesMurray
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: Swing Postings

Postby HB51 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:32 am

Interesting, I did notice on lags video not too long ago that it appeared as though his right hand we was pointing way to the right, wanted to ask him about this, don’t know if that something that’s being promoted here. Actually I’ve been working on getting the right hand grip way down in the two middle fingers, after watching much of the Coleman video.... and I’ve got a pretty weak grip, don’t know if that’s hurting me. It does seem to make it more difficult to get the right arm going left after the strike.
HB51
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Swing Postings

Postby LesMurray » Fri May 11, 2018 8:08 am

It was Lag who showed me this grip. It overcomes the limited range due to the inflexibility of the right thumb. Not all of us have double jointed thumbs like Hogan!
User avatar
LesMurray
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: Swing Postings

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri May 11, 2018 8:14 am

HB51 wrote:Interesting, I did notice on lags video not too long ago that it appeared as though his right hand we was pointing way to the right, wanted to ask him about this, don’t know if that something that’s being promoted here. Actually I’ve been working on getting the right hand grip way down in the two middle fingers, after watching much of the Coleman video.... and I’ve got a pretty weak grip, don’t know if that’s hurting me. It does seem to make it more difficult to get the right arm going left after the strike.


HB51,

Keep at it...you're on the right track IMHO. I personally love the right hand finger grip, but note that pressure must be applied firmly by the middle two fingers. Additionally, as in 5L, it is imperative that you pressure the last 3 fingers of the left hand. I highly recommend doing this while waggling...tends to ILLUMINATE some very powerful things after a while.

Again, I advocate the weakest (yet most leveraged) grip you can make. However, there is one caveat--your personally mobility of the wrist joints. I'm lucky...I played basketball all the way through my college years, and I have decent wrist mobility. Some folks I work with do not, so we tend to work towards a stronger grip.

Here is Lag's "grip" post: http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Swing Postings

Postby lagpressure » Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 am

HB51 wrote:Interesting, I did notice on lags video not too long ago that it appeared as though his right hand we was pointing way to the right, wanted to ask him about this, don’t know if that something that’s being promoted here. Actually I’ve been working on getting the right hand grip way down in the two middle fingers, after watching much of the Coleman video.... and I’ve got a pretty weak grip, don’t know if that’s hurting me. It does seem to make it more difficult to get the right arm going left after the strike.


There is certainly more range of motion and power doing it this way, but I do think there is less control to some extent. It's worth experimenting with.
I go back and forth, but it is very interesting to see how the body reacts to a 20 degree increase with range of motion in the wrist cock. Assuming you have the speed and leverage to get it back (hitting) it's very compelling from that perspective. It's not really a new grip technically, actually was used often pre Vardon in the hickory era.

I haven't been one to mess with my grip much, this was mostly an experiment with compelling results. The grip is such a personal thing, and I rarely change a students grip unless I see it is creating a problem or an incompatibility.

As long as I have good pressure on the shaft through the strike, I can hit the ball good with most any kind of grip. I personally don't like too strong with the left because it limits forearm rotation too much. I don't like too weak a right hand grip because it lacks support for an aggressive right hand through the strike.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7956
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: Swing Postings

Postby HB51 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 am

Lag said: "I don't like too weak a right hand grip because it lacks support for an aggressive right hand through the strike."

Yea, I tend to think that may be what's happening with me. Over time, I've gotten the "right hand V" pointing straight up, or even towards my left eye. I think, as you say, it makes you come through the shot weaker, and I notice on video that even thought I am "cutting left" after the strike, my right arm is more out (you can see the gap between right arm and left arm when I go left), almost "slashing across it". By moving the "right hand V" more to the right, I think it may force the right more left after the strike, while still maintaining more of a down the line face angle and better chance of not rolling it over or collapsing up past p4.

Do you think thats the case, and recommend moving the right hand V more towards the right?

Thanks,
Deano
HB51
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Swing Postings

Postby lagpressure » Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 am

HB51 wrote:Lag said: "I don't like too weak a right hand grip because it lacks support for an aggressive right hand through the strike."

Yea, I tend to think that may be what's happening with me. Over time, I've gotten the "right hand V" pointing straight up, or even towards my left eye. I think, as you say, it makes you come through the shot weaker, and I notice on video that even thought I am "cutting left" after the strike, my right arm is more out (you can see the gap between right arm and left arm when I go left), almost "slashing across it". By moving the "right hand V" more to the right, I think it may force the right more left after the strike, while still maintaining more of a down the line face angle and better chance of not rolling it over or collapsing up past p4.

Do you think thats the case, and recommend moving the right hand V more towards the right?

Thanks,
Deano


I think just the fact you are asking this question suggests your right hand grip is too weak. :lol:
While a weak right hand creates more range of motion with both wristcock and forearm rotation, that doesn't do much good if the strike is not
properly supported through impact.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7956
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: Swing Postings

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 am

lagpressure wrote:
I think just the fact you are asking this question suggests your right hand grip is too weak. :lol:
While a weak right hand creates more range of motion with both wristcock and forearm rotation, that doesn't do much good if the strike is not
properly supported through impact.


Great points here...Kelvin M. put up a great article on the biomechanics of the grip. It's geared towards modern players, but lends some useful data if you're working on your grip.

PART I: http://kelvinmiyahiragolf-articles.com/index.php/articles/articles-2/2011-articles/65-2011-07-pga-tour-grip-styles-part-1
PART II: http://kelvinmiyahiragolf-articles.com/index.php/articles/articles-2/2011-articles/66-2011-09-pga-tour-grip-styles-part-2-continued
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest