Swing Postings

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Swing Postings

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Les
What are the benefits of the changes you made? Also, is that a drill and/or an abbreviated follow through in the second swing?
I'm somewhat partial to the first one, but hope the new move works well. Keep us posted on progress.
Kyle
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 am

k2baloo wrote:Les
What are the benefits of the changes you made? Also, is that a drill and/or an abbreviated follow through in the second swing?
I'm somewhat partial to the first one, but hope the new move works well. Keep us posted on progress.
Kyle

Kyle,

The drill is really to set up almost in an impact position where I have my shoulders and hips aligned along the 4:30 line with spine tilt such that my head is only a few inches left of my right foot. I very much feel like that photo of Moe Norman where he shows what he wants to feel at impact. The benefits are that I am now approaching the ball more from the inside and also the club coming more from the right hip pocket. I am also trying to get more weight over onto my right leg in BS and transition so at impact I have a greater weight shift occurring - delivering more compression and smack into the ball. I've noticed almost a full club difference in length already.

I think John has mentioned here or maybe in the Mod 7 thread that I need to both get more weight on my right side and spine tilt in the BS and transition, and then get deeper into my left knee through impact. I want to get the hips moving laterally in front of the ball rather than rotating open. I've set up my impact bag in my living room so that it is standing on its end against a door frame and I drill falling into it with my left hip from the top of my backswing. This is to develop the sense of falling onto my left foot in transition as deep and as left as I can before I begin firing into the strike. John calls this the "free ride" that Hogan talks about.

The finish you see in the second video is really just an abbreviated follow through. I was so overwhelmed by the new position and all the thoughts running through my head that I was just happy to get the club on the ball.
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:37 am

lagpressure wrote:What I really liked was the SOUND of the strikes after a few adjustments. It was quite compelling to hear it and undeniable.

Les has worked hard on the ABS Module drills, so when he came here, we changed a few things so he could start taking advantage of the work he
has already done.

At home, he can work on this stuff refine it more and more, find the ball, shot shapes and play it into the golf course.

Then just assess the improvements and further refine as we move forward.

There is so much truth to that...the SOUND was noticeably different. Impressive stuff Lag!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby nfbandon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 am

Guys I didn't know where to post this so I am doing it here. I reached out to Robbo a couple of months ago. He responded but said his cancer had returned, and was going through treatment again. I checked up on him a couple of weeks ago, and have not heard back. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:44 pm

nfbandon wrote: Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby k2baloo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 pm

A couple swing videos from this evening. As the titles suggest, I was experimenting with some Trevino ideas.

I have a course vlog in the works from last week, but my computer is down that I do editing on, so that will have to wait.
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:11 am

Hey Killer K2! Brother, I love this action for you...have you ever read Trevino's book? Hard to find and very expensive, but many gold nuggets to be found in his words.

Anyway, if I were you...I'd stay with the open stance. I absolutely love this adjustment to your action, much more free through impact and beyond. My only pet peeve is that you are just letting the club fly post impact. I'd like to see you HOLD your pressures longer, and get your hands lower and more left post impact, assuming you're following a hitter's protocol. It'll feel like your left tricep is slamming into your left Lat and that your forearms are crossing over each other (not your wrists or hands--FOREARMS). The club will still fly straight down the line...no worries there.

My very humble $.02...
Attachments
Screenshot (13).png
Screenshot (13).png (231.48 KiB) Viewed 386 times
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi D2J,
I completely agree with you. I've always thrown the club DTL with longer clubs. It looks more connected with the shorter ones. Would love to keep it together longer.
I haven't read Trevino's book but I think I would love it.
Thanks for the comments!
k2baloo

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:42 pm

K2,

Watch and rewatch the two videos below. They show you how to change the arms from going off DTL to what D2J is describing. I am not disagreeing with D2J at all, but I don't believe that we can MAKE the arms/club stop running off, neither can we STOP the subsequent accompanying early extension without the opposing force. The one video shows you what the greats did, and that we all should too, and Bradley video shows us HOW to actually do it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gy_xx-cXKyA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/chWxPdZL-Cs[/youtube]
Think opposing forces. Hands going out, butt goes back ... now the right arm is in front of the body AND we've got the space to release left. As Lag has told us repeatedly, we cannot MAKE the hands/club golf left (believe me, I've tried), they go there when the structure and the opposing forces are in place. Your arms run off because you've got them slightly behind you and thus the only place to go is right. Also watch Wayne D's detailed analysis of Hogan's swing below. Notice how he points out that Hogan's "tush line" actually goes DEEPER as he comes into the strike. He's not sticking his butt out, just like the early extenders isn't trying to thrust his hips through and right, they're both REACTING -- Hogan gets his hands FARTHER out away than almost anyone in history!

Hogan1.jpg
OMG!!!!
Hogan1.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 344 times

It looks like you could shove a basketball between his arms just moments before impact! D2J explains from there how it feels to SLAM THAT DOOR of the left arm into the left side!
Stu Carlburger

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Sorry, embed fail

Stu Carlburger

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers