Swing Postings

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Swing Postings

Postby nfbandon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:58 am

Golf swing has gotten pretty simple. I think you will see exceptional clubface control here, a nice tight impact position, and no throw or slap anywhere post impact. Club stays on plane nicely. I think FD would measure very little variance here. There is no manipulation to try and get a deep slot. That was never natural to me, and really isn't something most great players do. Tiger, Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson, etc...

These are using modern equipment. BTW these Bridgestone J15 MBs are exceptional in look and feel.

For 58 I am getting 200 out of this 5 iron with a nice piercing trajectory and 285 carry with my Callaway Epic driver. I'll take it.

I appreciate what I learned on ABS, and took what worked for me. Everyone has a unique best swing. I hope you find yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIrEgiYmFfA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8O-Gh4bhM
nfbandon

Postby LesMurray » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 am

nfbandon wrote:

LesMurray

Postby LesMurray » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 am

Grady,

Love the width on the backswing and your transition move - very Hogan-esque.
LesMurray

Postby Wknhacker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:38 am

nfbandon wrote:I appreciate what I learned on ABS, and took what worked for me. Everyone has a unique best swing. I hope you find yours.

Sounds like you're waving a goodbye to ABS and this site Grady. Your contributions here over the years have been invaluable so I hope you'll stick around and keep providing your insights and thoughts about the golf swing.

On another note, I'm curious to know what in ABS worked for you and what didn't. I appreciate that all of us are built differently so what will work for you may not work for me or many others etc. but from a general observation standpoint I would appreciate your 2 cents.

P.S. those Bridgestone irons look pretty sweet.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby k2baloo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm

I'll be the first to admit I don't see too much difference from past swings. However, it's a great swing and I think it has been for a long time. Has good lag and face control through the strike. Only think to really complain about is how steep it is in the downswing, but that may be inevitable given you're tall, stand relatively close to the ball, and cup the left wrist.

FaceOn.PNG
FaceOn.PNG (337.39 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Impact.PNG
Impact.PNG (307.78 KiB) Viewed 495 times

Downswing.PNG
Downswing.PNG (382.63 KiB) Viewed 495 times
k2baloo

Postby nfbandon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

All the superslotting stuff I discarded, which eliminated a lot of forearm rotation. I kept the armpit pressure, ground pressure feels and mod 1,2 and 3 and 9 (working the ball). As far as steep that is true if you are comparing me to Hogan, Player, Price or Garcia. If you compare me to 2000 Tiger or Nicklaus I am fine. This iron swing gets the shaft on the top side of my right forearm at delivery. I would prefer it to be right through the middle, but in the end I am delivering the club to the ball from the inside. That is really all you need. The biggest thing I don't see from swings on the board is a setting of the club at the top. Many seem to be in a hurry. Even if you watch a fast temp like Hogan the club sets and stays up there a while. This has to happen to properly load the shaft. Then you have to deliver that load past the ball.
nfbandon

Postby Stu Carlburger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 am

nfbandon wrote:All the superslotting stuff I discarded, which eliminated a lot of forearm rotation. I kept the armpit pressure ...

Grady,

Your swing looks great currently, although I will say I absolutely LOVED what I saw of your super-slotting action.

One question regarding the above quote: do you feel that the level of armpit pressure corresponds directly to the level of forearm rotation? For me, they are really one and the same. This is something that I struggled with at first because I was trying to pressure my arm pits into the strike and it felt restrictive, contrived, and I never seemed to be able to sequence it properly. Finally D2J helped me to understand the biomechanical connection between the supination/pronation of the forearms and the internal rotation of the upper arm, and how that is "arm pit pressure" as opposed to more of squeezing down action. I've really embraced the forearm rotation that ABS advocates and feel that it's really THE most important aspect of the golf swing. To wit, my wedge game and punch/bump and run short feel 100% forearm rotation with pivot reacting. It's a "rotation within a rotation" to me, (there are NO straight lines in a golf swing) and I've never even imagined striking the ball with more consistency and precision.

Any thoughts?
Stu Carlburger

Postby nfbandon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 am

Stu there are two schools of thought...the body reacts to the arms and forearms or the arms and hands follow the body. I think you are right ABS is the former. I have edged toward the latter. The only conscious hand action I have is that little transition move that FD taught. The arms are really now along for the ride. The arm pit pressure keeps the arms from getting away from me (stuck behind or dumped at the ball) until post impact. I have a pretty light grip pressure, but considerable pressure in my gut. The only real thought I have through impact is keeping my left shoulder moving. I like to hit a lot of shots were I take it 3/4 back with some wrist break, pivot to a 3/4 finish with the arms extended and the left arm and shaft in line focusing on my abs.
nfbandon

Postby lagpressure » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 am

Only Grady can assess what he has or has not gained from ABS, but as I have mentioned before, he did not work through Mod 4 or 5 which are critical to properly flattening the shaft. Mod 4 defines the path from P3 to P4 and Mod 5 teaches the proper hand attitudes to allow everything through transition to follow. It's like trying to put a car together without a couple of the critical components... clutch, transmission etc.

I say this only because so many students here have really grinded through these Mods for many months and thousands of reps with their training stations properly set up etc... so it is only fair for those why have followed protocol to be aware of why some might be having different results.

A player can be tall and slot - flatten the shaft through transition well like George Archer did and Frank Phillips did for example.

As far as setting up your gear, only each player can decide how on their lie angles, but the flatter your irons are, the straighter you will hit the ball and move the left vector of possibility toward the target.

The physics of impact will always be better bringing in a pre stressed clubshaft through the strike than a "timed" unflexing approach. The compression is better AND there is more pressurein the hands for the player to feel and use to manipulate the ball as they see fit.

The golf swing is a complete moving dynamic motion that is not the sum of a combination of stagnant positions.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers