Bulldozer

Re: How to incorporate the mod work into our golf swing

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:08 am

there is a part 2 as well
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:19 am

I watched both of these yesterday...really good stuff. Thanks for pointing it out...

On another note, I've been doing these "drills" before I start my target practice sessions and it has been a godsend. Not to mention, I'm in the middle of Drill 7 right now, so adding one armed shots into that mix really lines things up well.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Mystery man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:56 am

Now this is a wonderful thread. Here is a question ? When can you start hitting full golf shots when doing the drills? And and when or during hitting do you focus on the drill feels? Or just let it happen and see what benefits have come from the drills .. Aka , just swing ?

Thanks so much
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby nfbandon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:06 am

I think you can hit balls once you get some positive guidance from your instructor that you are on the right track. I think hitting balls from a cold stop at delivery is a great way to work on the first four modules.
nfbandon

Postby Mystery man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 am

nfbandon wrote:I think you can hit balls once you get some positive guidance from your instructor that you are on the right track. I think hitting balls from a cold stop at delivery is a great way to work on the first four modules.

Good point, I'm not far enough long yet to feel comfortable hitting. What I'm been reading , the true effect is yet to come . Feels so so good though hitting the bag , just like to see what the ball would do . Feels like a week before Christmas with the presents under the tree .. Can't open them yet

cant wait :)
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby norcalvol » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 am

My personal experience is that hitting balls helped my module work, and my module work helped my hitting balls. They fed each other.

This experience was from months on Mod 3. Mods 1 and 2 were different... ballstriking during those modules was a different animal altogether, and looking back on it showed me that Mod 3 was necessary to 'round out' the picture when it came to striking balls.

After learning the basic mechanics/form of Mod 3, I started to try to implement that into my swing on the range... I started on mid irons, then eventually into long irons, woods, and then short irons.
I would video my swing, and then watch it with the intent on seeing what was changing in response to not only Mod 3, but the first 2 mods as well.
Eventually I would send some swing videos (while all the while sending weekly Module drill videos) to Lag.

Over several weeks, I would eventually see how I was able to 'hold the club off' because of the Mod 3 intentions (instead of just 'folding it over'), but also noticeable was that my shoulders weren't turning far enough counterclockwise. When I noticed that (and it was pointed out to me), I worked harder on Mod 3 drills. Eventually, I was really starting to be able to turn the shoulders properly and much more fully... range of motion increased, and I was also able to turn flatter. I'm convinced that my Mod 3 drill work got better because of watching my videos of ballstriking, and vice versa.

Implementing a hitters release was another area that saw improvement from an interplay between hitting and drilling. I would see nothing but a swinger's release while ballstriking, so back to module work to work on that... drill got better and release during actual strikes got better (although this will be an area of ongoing work). Similar with proper footwork/pressures.

So, for me, it really was an experience that one fed the other and vice versa. I can't image not hitting balls during all of the long, hard Mod 3 work, and I don't believe that if I had done only Mod 3 drills for that length of time that my swing would magically have changed.

But that's just my thoughts from my own individual approach to it all.

And, when Lag says there are no short cuts, and that you earn your way into the next step/level, he is absolutely on the money. This is not for the faint at heart... what you get out of it is what you put in to it.
Kinda like when McCartney sang "the love you take is equal to the love you make." He was right, too.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Mystery man » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:24 am

nfbandon wrote:I think you can hit balls once you get some positive guidance from your instructor that you are on the right track. I think hitting balls from a cold stop at delivery is a great way to work on the first four modules.

Received some great responses from my instructor. and honestly , this stuff isn't as had as everyone makes it sound. I truly truly see the benefit in hitting this way . ( oops wanted to say swing). In a short time, once grooved, I can than call this natural. And maybe start a Natural thread here , if it is ok ? Heck if i had this info 25 years ago , I might be section teacher of the year

And nice to say instructor, never really trusted to many people affiliated to golf. But I trust him

Have great day guys, feel so good about this
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby Mystery man » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 pm

I incorporated what I have been learning from my program into a few actual shots with a ball. Just have to say the feel and accuracy was vastly improved ( even during inclement weather conditions )

Infact I think it would be a benefit to drill the majority of the week ( twice a day). But take time out to hit a bucket once a week to take your drill feels into an actual range session.

My personal take on this ( and again opinion as of now) . Not necessarily a huge change in look of the swing itself , but more an improvement in overall contact / improved low point and enhanced ball flight . I truly love this program and the structured drills along with the students commitment are a real benefit to anyone's golf game
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby Mystery man » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:24 pm

norcalvol wrote:My personal experience is that hitting balls helped my module work, and my module work helped my hitting balls. They fed each other.

This experience was from months on Mod 3. Mods 1 and 2 were different... ballstriking during those modules was a different animal altogether, and looking back on it showed me that Mod 3 was necessary to 'round out' the picture when it came to striking balls.

After learning the basic mechanics/form of Mod 3, I started to try to implement that into my swing on the range... I started on mid irons, then eventually into long irons, woods, and then short irons.
I would video my swing, and then watch it with the intent on seeing what was changing in response to not only Mod 3, but the first 2 mods as well.
Eventually I would send some swing videos (while all the while sending weekly Module drill videos) to Lag.

Over several weeks, I would eventually see how I was able to 'hold the club off' because of the Mod 3 intentions (instead of just 'folding it over'), but also noticeable was that my shoulders weren't turning far enough counterclockwise. When I noticed that (and it was pointed out to me), I worked harder on Mod 3 drills. Eventually, I was really starting to be able to turn the shoulders properly and much more fully... range of motion increased, and I was also able to turn flatter. I'm convinced that my Mod 3 drill work got better because of watching my videos of ballstriking, and vice versa.

Implementing a hitters release was another area that saw improvement from an interplay between hitting and drilling. I would see nothing but a swinger's release while ballstriking, so back to module work to work on that... drill got better and release during actual strikes got better (although this will be an area of ongoing work). Similar with proper footwork/pressures.

So, for me, it really was an experience that one fed the other and vice versa. I can't image not hitting balls during all of the long, hard Mod 3 work, and I don't believe that if I had done only Mod 3 drills for that length of time that my swing would magically have changed.

But that's just my thoughts from my own individual approach to it all.

And, when Lag says there are no short cuts, and that you earn your way into the next step/level, he is absolutely on the money. This is not for the faint at heart... what you get out of it is what you put in to it.
Kinda like when McCartney sang "the love you take is equal to the love you make." He was right, too.

Great post , but I think it would be best to work on this by focusing on drills. And hitting full shots with no filming at all . Not sure if this is really about a look but more about improved intentions and overall shot consistency
One in the oven
Mystery man

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers