How the Greats Setup

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: How the Greats Setup

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:20 am

I'm starting to play with spine angle, and it is amazing the affect it has on the back swing. With a more upright spine, you tend to want to swing around the body (read as: stay on the shoulder plane). With a more traditional set up, you tend to break the shoulder plane (read as: upright modern swing). I was trying to swing along the shoulder plane with a modern set up and kept losing my balance. I changed my stance, knee flex and posture-- EUREKA!!!

I then re-read the hogan stance section and the appendix...wouldn't you know he documented all of this! Guess it just takes a little digging in the "dirt"?

Since we're on the subject, HERE IS A QUESTION: Do you close your stance or open your stance to the target line? Or do you set up square? Why? What feels do you get?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby IanB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:39 am

Just my 2c but I let my feet go where they like and concentrate on aiming the club at the target.

It has always confused me why people spend so much time putting there toes on the target line when at impact your hips are going to be at least 30 degrees open and rotation is the general focus of the motion. To me its right there with " moving off the ball" or "keep your head still" and the best, " firm but relaxed "

I find that I actually open my stance the smaller swing i make and then get a hair closed with driver….. probably subconsciously trying to channel the great man :)
I do have to take care as I tend to get more open than I should. I have to check myself.

Kindest, IanB
There is DO and there is DO NOT. There is no TRY.
IanB

Postby 20 Mule Team » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 am

stevemcgee99 wrote:Thanks. (I used to watch the show My Three Sons).

I bent my knees to be more upright, and a pro at the range said I should step back further and bend over. Felt awkward.
Now (from reading here, etc.) I know that my lie angle was probably off, too, from radically changing my stance and distance from the ball.

IMO, If you're going to adopt the ABS hitting protocol one of the first things you have to do is ignore your local pro...and everyone else including golf magazines, the golf channel, and your playing partners. The only compatible sources I use now are the books and youtube videos of Ben Hogan and George Knudson. Though I'm sure there are some other good ones I'm not sure you really need much beyond this site.

Let this site be your sole source of instruction and dedicate yourself to it. A year from now you'll be glad you did. It will take at least that long, maybe longer, but at that point you will own your swing -- probably for the first time in your golfing life if you're like the rest of us.
20 Mule Team

Postby TheCrow » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:41 am

Keep me in the fairway. A great watch!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/yHvCzmi8FzU[/youtube]
TheCrow

Postby TheCrow » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:52 am

Let me try that again

Keep Em in the Fairway

TheCrow

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:38 pm

20 Mule Team wrote:
stevemcgee99 wrote: The only compatible sources I use now are the books and youtube videos of Ben Hogan and George Knudson. Though I'm sure there are some other good ones I'm not sure you really need much beyond this site.

Let this site be your sole source of instruction and dedicate yourself to it. A year from now you'll be glad you did. It will take at least that long, maybe longer, but at that point you will own your swing -- probably for the first time in your golfing life if you're like the rest of us.

That's been great advice for me. Although I have taken heed of advice from my partner and wonder if that's part of my return to hitting fat.

I found 5 Lessons, and surprisingly got a copy of Trevino's book for Christmas. Watch a lot of YouTube, mostly Hogan, Knudson (love the Shell game at Vancouver), Trevino.

I'm waiting on a check for the last couple months of work and will start Mod 1 shortly after.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Bulldozer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Is there an ABS model player for the set up? Someone that is good to copy?
Bulldozer

Postby lagpressure » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:14 pm

What happens is that your set up will change as your swing changes. Lowpoint with change, how far you stand from the ball, your posture, grip.... all that changes as you develop a keener awareness of what needs to be happening through the strike.

Moe is a perfect example of a player who had a set up that was tailored from his unique swing. They go hand in hand.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:17 pm

lagpressure wrote:What happens is that your set up will change as your swing changes. Lowpoint with change, how far you stand from the ball, your posture, grip.... all that changes as you develop a keener awareness of what needs to be happening through the strike.

Moe is a perfect example of a player who had a set up that was tailored from his unique swing. They go hand in hand.

True dat!
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:33 am

Range Rat wrote:
lagpressure wrote:What happens is that your set up will change as your swing changes. Lowpoint with change, how far you stand from the ball, your posture, grip.... all that changes as you develop a keener awareness of what needs to be happening through the strike.

True dat!

I've found that I've added a ton of knee flex (in comparison) and my spine angle continues to get more and more upright. Personally, my back has never felt better. This is coming from someone who has undergone 3 major back surgeries...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers