Swing Postings

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Swing Postings

Postby lagpressure » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 pm

nfbandon wrote:As we get older it is very difficult to pivot the way we used to do. Peter Senior played great golf on the Champions Tour but his swing wasn't anything like his prime. I admired Faldo's swing more than anyone else in the early 90s. Here he is at the British Senior last year.

As we work on our game we have to be realistic about what our bodies can do. I am close to Nick's age, and probably move better than he does but various pains don't allow me to spend a lot of time on the driving range.

He still flattens that shaft out through transition nicely. Maybe a bit or a lot weaker post impact.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HB51 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:42 am

This is so true. I am in the “general” age of lag, Grady, Faldo, and it is very challenging for me to drive the right side, weight transfer via hip rotation, over to the left side through the strike after compressing into the right side at transition. John has given me some stuff to work on, and as hard as I try, and review the video after my attempts, it still seems like I leave a lot on the right side through impact.
HB51

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:51 am

HB51 wrote:This is so true. I am in the “general” age of lag, Grady, Faldo, and it is very challenging for me to drive the right side, weight transfer via hip rotation, over to the left side through the strike after compressing into the right side at transition. John has given me some stuff to work on, and as hard as I try, and review the video after my attempts, it still seems like I leave a lot on the right side through impact.

Just feel like you are transferring weight left earlier.
What commonly happens when players work on weight transfer is that they forget to fully rotate into the backswing.
The common mistake is to jump left too soon and not make a full turn back.

As long as your fully rotate, you're good to go on the weight transfer.

Remember, the Snead squat is better for slower tempo swings. Likewise, the aggressive diagonal crash into the left leg only works with the very quick tempos.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:30 am

You can still play good golf in your late 50s and 60s (I hope), but teaching needs to be specific to the physical limitations of the player. I have lost some swing speed in the last three years, and I work at my fitness. When my back is feeling okay I can go into extension and rip it pretty good. When it hurts, I will swing more like Faldo in that video. John said his post impact had slacked off a bit. Honestly, there is no post impact. He just drops the club on the ball and flips it over, and that is okay. In ABS terminology he is now a swinger. Nothing wrong with that. I think John started as a swinger. I was a swinger prior to ABS. Frankly I think everyone should start as a swinger because you learn to feel the clubhead. So you learn how to make the golf ball talk. You can play golf swing all day but if you don't know intuitively how to hit it low, high, fade, draw, etc..with your hands you are never going to be a player.
nfbandon

Postby nfbandon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am

So FD do you see it? Only thought is cutting myself in half. Got into a bit of trouble because I reverted to my long, low BS which gets me inside, but DS is pretty tight. Both swings probably rush the second L.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=bg4LXauZbDU[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=bg4LXauZbDU

Don't know why the 3 iron didn't directly post.

That 3 iron was 225 into a 10-15 mile an hour wind over a lake to the back of the green.
nfbandon

Postby Frozen Divots » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 am

I see it Grady. You are pressuring about 2” from grip end towards CH. So you’ll get the balance down and I bet pretty soon youll be at the mid point of the shaft, which means a tad less lateral hands initially.

I will guess two months and you will be by the hosel where Hogan lived.

Match that with true pivot and the delayed L in the club head works into you and you’ll see your trail arm stuck on your side.

But you are fundamentally getting the shaft pressure down, which is huge. Feels like TWO free rides.
Frozen Divots

Postby nfbandon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 pm

Here is the 3 iron. Watch that one over and over a bit and you will see some pretty impressive acceleration, and I don't really recock. Not quite as good as Hogan (ha ha) but better than a lot.

nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:30 pm

What is meant by "cutting yourself in half"?
k2baloo

Postby nfbandon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:01 pm

It was discussed by FD and John earlier in another thread. Imagine at the top from a face on view that I am behind and to the left of you and swing the club right through yourself to hit me.
nfbandon

Postby robbo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 pm

nfbandon wrote:So FD do you see it? Only thought is cutting myself in half. Got into a bit of trouble because I reverted to my long, low BS which gets me inside, but DS is pretty tight. Both swings probably rush the second L.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=bg4LXauZbDU[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=bg4LXauZbDU

Don't know why the 3 iron didn't directly post.

That 3 iron was 225 into a 10-15 mile an hour wind over a lake to the back of the green.

225 into the wind?! Ok.....not that we’re chasing distance but that’s impressive! Don’t tell me those were vintage irons! :D
robbo

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers