A Lesson with George Gankas

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby norcalvol » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:24 pm

lagpressure wrote:...a more forward ball position must be earned if you are still going to hit the 4:30 line. The way to get there properly in my opinion is to better facilitate weight transfer through the strike.... I think improvement in weight transfer would be most helpful.... Work on hitting hard pushes from the back ball position that have heat on them. Then re adjust the alignment of your body. You should never be trying to close the clubface into the strike with your hands. An aggressive strike from the 4:30 line pushing the ball out to the right is a much more sophisticated move in the long run. Then you can move the ball more forward if you choose over time by increasing weight transfer and increasing the acceleration rate of the shoulders and torso post impact.

This is where I'm at in my attempts to integrate drills into my on-course practice... This post is worth a million.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Range Rat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:30 pm

lagpressure wrote:
As mentioned, a more forward ball position must be earned if you are still going to hit the 4:30 line.

There is very little if any hand manipulation going on here at ABS... An aggressive strike from the 4:30 line pushing the ball out to the right is a much more sophisticated move in the long run. Then you can move the ball more forward if you choose over time by increasing weight transfer and increasing the acceleration rate of the shoulders and torso post impact.

Sounds like Ben Doyle hitting on any part of a circle Lag. I like the thoughts here.

Good thread idea Les, looking forward to sitting back and reading what ya'll have to say- it should be a good one. I see the process with a more concrete perspective, with most of the differences being whether one sees the pattern as a face event primarily, or a mass event primarily. If a mass event you better damn well keep the trail elbow where it belongs or else you then have a poor face event. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks for sharing Les. GG looks like a very interesting dude. His rotation video is informative.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby LesMurray » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Here's part 2 from my lesson with GG.

His concept of the "Y" position is much like our post impact on the way to P4, though we want to hold more wrist cock and climb the wall. Also, he discusses more of the drive through the ball - a hockey slap shot.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:25 am

Can someone describe a Hockey Slap Shot?
I find the thought of striking something with ice under my feet not too enticing! :lol:

I think of a big split grip with not much if any forearm rotation.

My only reference is one of the great Canadian Hockey players getting an exemption into a Canadian Tour event I played in back in the early 1990's and shooting over 100 both rounds before packing his bags on Friday night. He did draw the biggest galleries of the event however. There was a big drama about him taking a spot from a player who might have been more deserving.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:43 am

Nothing new there, but well said. We don't want to drag, but we want our acceleration late. I have been talking about this with a fellow ABSer, and I tell him you can't imagine how late impact is.
nfbandon

Postby nfbandon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:44 am

That drill is great for us here in Texas where often you have to contend with winds of over 20 mph. If you try and keep it down and do a flying wedge you hit a pull hook, but if you do the "Y" as GG calls it, you hit a beautiful baby draw. Faldo used to use the image of chesting the ball a la soccer. Often referred to as covering the ball.
nfbandon

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:47 am

lagpressure wrote:Can someone describe a Hockey Slap Shot?
I find the thought of striking something with ice under my feet not too enticing! :lol:

I think of a big split grip with not much if any forearm rotation.

My only reference is one of the great Canadian Hockey players getting an exemption into a Canadian Tour event I played in back in the early 1990's and shooting over 100 both rounds before packing his bags on Friday night. He did draw the biggest galleries of the event however. There was a big drama about him taking a spot from a player who might have been more deserving.

The most forceful slap shot is taken when the hockey player has a nice head of stream in the direction of the goalie as opposed to taking one without any forward momentum. The ideal slap shot by the defenseman is 6 inches off the ice in height. The puck needs to clear the height of the goalie's stick and this is the height that your forward teammates are looking for the puck to tip and misdirect it at another angle.

The slap shot to me is similar to the iron shot and powered with a ton of torso rotation. The toe of the stick does point in the direction of the goalie @ P4. So yes you cover the puck with some forearm rotation. There's no hitting up on the slap shot. Contact is puck then ice. The rear leg does kick out behind you a la Hogan @ Olympic.

How do I know this? Because I puked my brains out @ a few hockey camps. :lol:
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:01 am

Talk about keeping your kick!

Sorry Les don't mean to divert the thread
Mashie72

Postby LesMurray » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:13 am

Mashie72 wrote:Talk about keeping your kick!

Sorry Les don't mean to divert the thread

Keep it up, this is awesome.
LesMurray

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers