A Lesson with George Gankas

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby nfbandon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:41 am

Mashie,

That is a great video. Now I know why hockey players are usually good golfers. :)
nfbandon

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:13 am

I'll never forget Module 1 when first attempting to flush the shaft on the impact bag.. My natural hockey instinct is to really lean on it like that last guy in the video. Still to this day I hit it relatively low compared to everyone else.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby golfingplease » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:10 pm

I think this release style will do you well Les. There's plenty of pictures with hogan showing that wrist position in your second video.

http://persimmongolftoday.org/wp-conten ... ganDTL.png

It still is active with the roll of the forearms just not as much so as the traditional ABS style. I dont think you will return to a hook ballflight. I think your mechanics and knowledge of ball flight will keep you safe. Good luck.
golfingplease

Postby LesMurray » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:16 pm

golfingplease wrote:I think this release style will do you well Les. There's plenty of pictures with hogan showing that wrist position in your second video.

It still is active with the roll of the forearms just not as much so as the traditional ABS style. I dont think you will return to a hook ballflight. I think your mechanics and knowledge of ball flight will keep you safe. Good luck.

How timely for you to post those pics. I just got back from a range session and I believe I uncovered another nugget of gold that had been missing.

I believe for the first time I felt the orbit pull. Now, someone set me straight if I am on the wrong track. I have been pondering the release with the forearms and how we got our speed into the ball from that. Prior to my lesson with George, I was applying a bit too much of a scoop with the wrist causing me to stall at the ball and my hands to still chase down the line some. I know I want to feel like I am gathering the ball, then slinging it towards the target. It always seems though that it is too easy for me to swipe at the ball and hit a weak fade.

Prior to heading to the range I was watching Bradley's "Hitting from the Inside" video where he talks about getting the hands away from the body in transition. So I was messing around with that and it was working ok but the hands always wanted to get away from my body and the club would get flippy. So I started to pull my left shoulder harder to the left after impact (left torso crunch) and that was having some good effect, but again the swipey, thin fade came into play. So I thought how does Hogan go from 4:30 line with an open club face to his position at P3 and it came to me that his hands are going left before he contacts the ball. So I started to give that a try and wow what a difference. I felt more packed in, the club felt more like it was climbing the wall, and there was much more speed into the ball. A year or so ago over on the Dirt, Grady was sharing an image of a baseball diamond saying the club goes down the first base line and the hands go towards third. That is what I was trying tonight.

Please set me straight if I am on the wrong track. If this is a proper feeling then the lesson with GG was worth it. And if this is the proper feeling time to get a ton of Mod 3 and 4 in so I don't start hooking the crap out of the ball.

I'll try to get some more of my lesson with GG posted next week. There was some good info about the hips work through the pivot to help determine initial ball flight.
LesMurray

Postby golfingplease » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Good observation. If the clubhead is behind the hands they will start going left before the clubhead does. I think it is useful to use different feels from the overall similar ideology. I think GG values the same old masters as we do.
golfingplease

Postby golfingplease » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:03 pm

The forearm release is a combination of extension/flexion of the wrists and supination/pronation of the forearms( also unlar deviation earlier on). In my feel, the supination (left wrist) and pronation (right wrist) begin to happen before the extension/flexion. In my experience, the chain reaction starts thusly (in talking about the left wrist now) ulnar deviation then supination then extension. This rolling action brings the clubhead under elbow plane, then squares the face, then releases and keeps clubface square, respectively.
golfingplease

Postby nfbandon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:57 am

As I mentioned earlier, impact occures much later than most think. When I went down to Champions to play with Elk he demonstated what he called the illusion of impact. Because our hips are open and our spine is slightly tilted the hands have to feel well past the ball and left of where they were at address.
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:24 am

Elk is an enjoyable listen, just the way he says things can resonate deeply in the most important area of the game, task and task perception. In this video with his son he emphasizes how impact is "way up there", or "quite a bit further forward" several different times. The 'there" is more an optical component of course from our perspective since the ball is not moving. :)

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Hey Les,

Anxious to hear more about the hip work during the pivot when you have a chance.

Also did you get a good understanding of the ground forces/loading through transition and into impact from GG? It sounds like the hips are level with the ground with weight left but pressure on the right? I am a little confused with what he's doing during the loading.

Thanks a bunch
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby nfbandon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Mashie my understanding is GG is a late left guy like John, but with a left hip moving immediately behind. He actually wants you to feel like the left hip is moving back away from the target. He wants the left hip and left shoulder low, and the load into the right leg is pushed forward and up from p3 to p4. He teaches a weightlessness in the left leg until the hip is behind the leg, then the left leg receives the weight through impact.
nfbandon

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers