A Lesson with George Gankas

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby Steve P » Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Range Rat wrote:
Hey Rat
It's the same thing rolling the forearms rolls the hands which rolls the clubface.


Not on my street it isn't the same thing, unless you stall it then you have no chance to catch what you let go and, for sure, the face will roll.

There is 'sort of' a pinned 1/2 roll up to the strike as the sequence unfolds and the shaft turning down, coming in from P3, resulting in the face getting pinned inches before impact and holds through the first exit parallel. It has no choice but to be pinned if you don't let the club get away from the rotational power center it latches onto at P3.

YMMV. :)



That's great you know if that's what you think and works for you that's great. What GG showed was very simple like common sense though. Took about ten seconds to show. I like simple not complex. I like results like he got with Les.
its simple you fan it open and have to worry about closing it or you leave it alone. GG has a ton of tournament success in his stable just check out Instagram the guy has it down. He's not gonna 1/2 pin the rolling p3 chi center he's gonna stabilize the face and path. :ugeek:
Steve P
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby LesMurray » Mon May 23, 2016 9:00 pm

A couple of points to make:

1) GG likes to talk of Hogan having his club face toe up at P3 and I agree with him. If you back it up to when Hogan get's on the 4:30 line however he is still face open with his cupped wrist. I really think this speaks to the lag Hogan got in his delivery of the club. His hands are probably on top of the ball while his club is still lagging behind him and he is just cranking on it with maximum forearm rotation. Me as a mere mortal I have already started to release my lag at the same point.

2) ABS has a concept of the rotated plane line where to get to a forward ball position we really have to develop the strength to hold the lag and fire the forearms. For me to be hitting it slightly right is actually not that bad of a swing fault for ABS. GG even commented to me that I was lined up left of target with my ball going right. Now, I was also scooping it with the release I was using in my lesson so that didn't help matters.

What I found using GG's style of release as the evening went on (I hit almost a full bucket afterwards) is that I was getting quicker from the top. I'm not saying that is what GG would have had me doing had I done another lesson, but that was my tendency - to get quick and pull the ball. It was also hard for me to take the forearm rotation out of the swing after spending 2 years getting that ingrained into my swing.
User avatar
LesMurray
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby lagpressure » Mon May 23, 2016 9:42 pm

A person that doesn't understand ABS would assume that forearm rotation through transition would suggest having to rotate the forearms counter clockwise through the strike as the sole means of squaring up the face.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. That IS NOT how it is done.

What actually happens is the player learns to increase the acceleration of torso rotation through and beyond the strike. This then allows a player to add more forearm rotation through transition because they will have much more to use... so the core then of ABS is to hold shaft flex, not trying to time forearm rotation.

We put ourselves in a position to attack aggressively with any amount of counter clockwise forearm rotation we can muster, but the left shoulder is moving FASTER (flat and level) than any amount of forearm rotation aggression we can possibly apply. This is the secret to HITTING... not stalling or throwing or trying to square the club with the right elbow straightening.

This puts a tremendous amount of feel in our hands.. and striking the ball on an arrow is easy when you can feel the club with these enormous pressures, and the harder you hit, the more lag pressure you develop, the more feel in your hands and your swing can become machine like.

The clubface is squared up by rotation of the torso with the torso acceleration overtaking any forearm rotation effort. It's a vital opposing force that is all in place under very real tangible pressures that just lock in. It's an absolute steel pressure lock working through impact. Nothing flippy or timing based.

Any suggestion that ABS is a handsy timing based method is absolute BS.

This is the advanced method applied by the greatest strikers. Not the stall- flip stuff that is going on today.

If you can't wrap your head around torso rotation outpacing forearm rotational efforts, then keep that on another topic. Not here.

I don't know GG's teaching methods are... but if they teach an aggressive torso - pivot move through the strike to square the face, then that is on a good path to quality ball striking.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby kirkschwart » Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 pm

The only one arguing that is the Range Rat who isn't a student never has been and has no place in this discussion. Lag, the problem that I have and honestly the reason I left the program is that there are no examples of anyone yourself included actually doing what you prescribed. What you teach and what actually happen are miles apart and I was so much too flat in my swing that I had no chance of success, and if you say that I didn't complete enough of the program to "get there" that's complete nonsense. Once I went in a better direction and addressed the problems at hand my striking improved dramatically in much less time doing something hands on that is easy to see and do.

Can you show me something that either you or someone here does that uses your tenets and works?
kirkschwart
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 am

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby lagpressure » Tue May 24, 2016 12:38 am

kirkschwart wrote:The only one arguing that is the Range Rat who isn't a student never has been and has no place in this discussion. Lag, the problem that I have and honestly the reason I left the program is that there are no examples of anyone yourself included actually doing what you prescribed. What you teach and what actually happen are miles apart and I was so much too flat in my swing that I had no chance of success, and if you say that I didn't complete enough of the program to "get there" that's complete nonsense. Once I went in a better direction and addressed the problems at hand my striking improved dramatically in much less time doing something hands on that is easy to see and do.

Can you show me something that either you or someone here does that uses your tenets and works?


Here are 111 pages of testimonials, lightbulbs going off etc.

viewtopic.php?f=211&t=65

It is not correct to make a statement that I instructed you to be too flat on the backswing. A flat entry from P3, yes... and that is a proven hallmark of great strikers. Mod 6 shows you can go upright and many do. The drop down into the slot is the main objective of the Mod work.


This is a completely inaccurate statement:
the problem that I have and honestly the reason I left the program is that there are no examples of anyone yourself included actually doing what you prescribed.


All the intentions of ABS are clearly demonstrated in the Module videos. The methods are both shown by me and many other great players and strikers.
I have not had one single Mod 7 graduate who has failed to improve their striking considerably. This has been confirmed by emails to me, testimonials etc.

There are many methods to learn a proper golf swing and many fine teachers and instructors. If you find an instructor who suits your objectives better, that is fine...... but to state inaccurate facts is just that. Inaccurate.
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby Range Rat » Tue May 24, 2016 4:32 am

LesMurray wrote:A couple of points to make:

1) GG likes to talk of Hogan having his club face toe up at P3 and I agree with him. If you back it up to when Hogan get's on the 4:30 line however he is still face open with his cupped wrist. I really think this speaks to the lag Hogan got in his delivery of the club. His hands are probably on top of the ball while his club is still lagging behind him and he is just cranking on it with maximum forearm rotation. Me as a mere mortal I have already started to release my lag at the same point.

2) ABS has a concept of the rotated plane line where to get to a forward ball position we really have to develop the strength to hold the lag and fire the forearms. For me to be hitting it slightly right is actually not that bad of a swing fault for ABS. GG even commented to me that I was lined up left of target with my ball going right. Now, I was also scooping it with the release I was using in my lesson so that didn't help matters.

What I found using GG's style of release as the evening went on (I hit almost a full bucket afterwards) is that I was getting quicker from the top. I'm not saying that is what GG would have had me doing had I done another lesson, but that was my tendency - to get quick and pull the ball. It was also hard for me to take the forearm rotation out of the swing after spending 2 years getting that ingrained into my swing.


If you back it up to when Hogan get's on the 4:30 line however he is still face open with his cupped wrist. I really think this speaks to the lag Hogan got in his delivery of the club.


That's my sense of it too, P3 is a pass through, not something to arrrive at. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
User avatar
Range Rat
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:30 am

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby Range Rat » Tue May 24, 2016 4:35 am

kirkschwart wrote:The only one arguing that is the Range Rat who isn't a student never has been and has no place in this discussion. Lag, the problem that I have and honestly the reason I left the program is that there are no examples of anyone yourself included actually doing what you prescribed. What you teach and what actually happen are miles apart and I was so much too flat in my swing that I had no chance of success, and if you say that I didn't complete enough of the program to "get there" that's complete nonsense. Once I went in a better direction and addressed the problems at hand my striking improved dramatically in much less time doing something hands on that is easy to see and do.

Can you show me something that either you or someone here does that uses your tenets and works?


I would not say I am arguing with anyone. Instead, I am simply expressing my views, asking a question or two, on some of the thread’s points of view, while trying to be clear that one’s personal mileage may vary, and given the fact the public forum here probably exists for those same reasons would seem to make my comments more than appropriate in tone, structure, and topic.

Not sure why you need to address your subsequent points with Lagpressure by using me in the first sentence. At first glance that seems argumentative, maybe not, maybe I am missing something.

So perhaps I can hear from you directly kirkschwart. Under what terms, according to you, am I allowed to post on the public forum here?
I have complete confidence should I, or anyone, step out of bounds Lagpressure will set things straight quickly- at least as straight as Mr. Hogan’s 5 yard leaner. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
User avatar
Range Rat
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:30 am

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby Mashie72 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:45 am

lagpressure wrote:I don't know GG's teaching methods are... but if they teach an aggressive torso - pivot move through the strike to square the face, then that is on a good path to quality ball striking.


Yes..Pure torso rotation from P3 into impact without extending the bent/"curled position" right arm. He also likes both armpits pressured @ P4
"The secret is on the deck"
User avatar
Mashie72
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 am

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby nfbandon » Tue May 24, 2016 7:23 am

This gave me a laugh if you have watched the Justin Timberlake SNL skit about a box. LOL

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFxYswEitwW ... gswingtips

It looks familiar doesn't it?
nfbandon
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: A Lesson with George Gankas

Postby kirkschwart » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 am

lagpressure wrote:Here are 111 pages of testimonials, lightbulbs going off etc.

http://advancedballstriking.com/forum/v ... f=211&t=65

It is not correct to make a statement that I instructed you to be too flat on the backswing. A flat entry from P3, yes... and that is a proven hallmark of great strikers. Mod 6 shows you can go upright and many do. The drop down into the slot is the main objective of the Mod work.


This is a completely inaccurate statement:
the problem that I have and honestly the reason I left the program is that there are no examples of anyone yourself included actually doing what you prescribed.


All the intentions of ABS are clearly demonstrated in the Module videos. The methods are both shown by me and many other great players and strikers.
I have not had one single Mod 7 graduate who has failed to improve their striking considerably. This has been confirmed by emails to me, testimonials etc.

There are many methods to learn a proper golf swing and many fine teachers and instructors. If you find an instructor who suits your objectives better, that is fine...... but to state inaccurate facts is just that. Inaccurate.


http://jeffygolf.com/showthread.php?365-Justin
I would take the scores he posts with a pinch of salt - he had a habit of taking mulligans. Perhaps he took our round as casual, but if he did, it was never communicated... While he was a decent ball striker, his skills as an instructor was suspect. His competence at translating what the legends did to something he comprehended was lacking in application to others. In other words, what he said and what he did was different.

In golf instruction always remember, caveat emptor.


Its not like im alone in these views, John can you please show me some video of someone now using our protocols correctly? And what is your take on the Range Rat constantly putting his 2c in?
kirkschwart
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests