What's New on ABS!

Re: What's New on ABS!

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Facebook is kind of lame, but there's a huge audience. Of course that makes things that Zucc doesn't expect to make money from a needle in the haystack. But I might reach some so I post a cool photo with a comment occasionally. I'll block anyone who does the typical social media argument crap.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 pm

roy.jpg
roy.jpg (385.76 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

Roy Omoto's Golf Shop is at:

Plaza Golf
23715 Crenshaw Blvd , Torrance CA 90505

(310) 534-3346

Open Daily

Mon - Fri (10 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
Saturday (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Sunday (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

plazagolfonline.com
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby robbo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:44 am

Roy’s looks like my favorite type of golf shop. Tons of merchandise not necessarily perfectly organized. Maybe it’s because I’m a little disorganized myself. :) Reminds me of the Wally’s Golf shops we used to have in the DFW area years ago.

Never cared for the Golfsmith/PGA Superstore setups. Too sterile, too cookie-cutter, too “Supergolf-like”!
robbo

Postby nfbandon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:07 am

Robo I remember Wally's. :)
nfbandon

Postby robbo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 am

I thought you might Grady! The last Richardson store was just a few blocks from my house but the original one was located just off Spring Valley near Central if I recall correctly. I swear that store seemed like it was no more than 1200 square feet in size!! :D
robbo

Postby lagpressure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 pm

More progress on the persimmon restoration, tear down, de construction, re construction, refinish video series with our master club repairman Mike Rees.
Mike has been so generous with his knowledge and I am sure we will all have a much deeper appreciation as to the time, work and craftsmanship that Mike
puts into every club that comes across his work bench.

We will shoot hopefully on Wednesday the final leg of a complete rebuild - refinish, reshaft of a vintage MacGregor 693 driver, refitted with a stiffer green band rocket shaft we transplanted from an old Spalding driver.

The 693 has always been one of the most desirable and sought after blocks in golf club history.
Documenting every step of the way, every detail and nuance has been so educational and inspiring. Mike really is a master craftsman!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:03 pm

3.JPG
3.JPG (160.33 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

Often considered the greatest iron set forging in the history of the game.
First Edition Tommy Armour 985T.

This is the first time I have owned one of these original sets. Just amazing blades.
So far ahead of their time, they are still ahead of any blades I have seen out today.

On the bench getting ready to set it up for play.

5.JPG
5.JPG (134.07 KiB) Viewed 1833 times

For hitters, shorter irons should have some face progression like this because the ball contacts higher on the face with the more lofted clubs relatively speaking.
More knowledge lost on modern club designers. They don't get it, but they should.

4.JPG
4.JPG (110.36 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

Swing me pure, and I will reward you with perfect ball flight!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Spent the afternoon working on Robbo's new set Mizuno TN 87s. I'm setting these up for consistent shaft deflection across the whole set. Lot's of back and forth between cutting and the stress test board. Shafts are all in, new matching ferrules in black and red. Should get them bent up tomorrow.

After that I worked on a great looking 66 Dyna 1 iron set up to ABS spec. Had to pull the shaft, add an extender, put on a new cord grip and it feels great.
It will be heading out to St Louis this week to a fellow ABS professional.

Mike and I wrapped up an EPIC instructional master class video on how to restore persimmon woods. I'll dump that final shot into Final Cut Pro and get it posted up for all to see the man at work. I just learn so much watching Mike work. He's the real deal... and we are so fortunate to have him doing ABS club work.

I'll be posting up a bunch of new stuff soon in the ABS spec gear thread.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Haig Ultra identification guide. Another helpful addition to the Classic Club threads.
Revised the picture size so it could be viewed more easily and clearly.

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=4664
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Frozen Divots » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I wish I were right handed...so many more options...
Frozen Divots

PreviousNext

Return to What's New on ABS!