What's New on ABS!

What's New on ABS!

Postby lagpressure » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 am

Just created a new Board Index Page here that I think might help with referencing the latest stuff going on here, whatever that might be. Equipment, Student ABS Module Updates, or interesting thread discussions that might be of interest to casual viewers etc.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: What's New on ABS!

Postby lagpressure » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 am

Currently, master golf club repairman Mike Rees and I have been shooting a series of videos that I'll post up on youtube soon that will go into GREAT DETAIL on how to do high end club work such as rebuilding, refinishing, reshafting persimmon woods. Also pulling pins from irons. How to install grips of all kinds etc.

We are on the last leg of persimmon rebuilding. We are using a rare classic and historic MacGregor 693 driver as the subject of such an overhaul. As of this day Feb 21 2018, we have documented the tear down, shaft pulling, re setting both the insert and sole plate, re grooving etc. We will be transplanting the old shaft with another old shaft, this being a Green Band TT Rocket Shaft. There is a whole set of these clubs 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 woods that will be fitted up with the Green Band Rockets.

We also have finished up pulling iron pins, a daunting task for many.. Mike shows us how to do it with greater ease.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am

Last week I put up the Challenge Golf Match between Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and Mike Souchak and added commentary for youtube viewing in hope that other's outside of ABS might get educated on how much the game of golf has changed from it's golden era. Would love to see it get a lot of views over the coming months and years. If it's something that resonates with you also, feel free to link it around on the web, start discussions etc. Proper golf needs a bit of attention.

viewtopic.php?f=221&t=4648

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw-I3qmKuY

lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Gabriel_Knight » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Looking forward to the videos on club works - having read all those great contributions on the forum I got very curious about club fitting, refinishing, etc., even thought of doing a club-fitting course. Also, having collected about 15 classic sets, being able to tweak specs (or even change grips) would help, too. However, the free time I have gets spent on module work. Videos will help though. Also, one day, when I turn up at the deck, I hope to take the course from the master himself!
Gabriel_Knight

Postby nfbandon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm

John, liked the David Lynch reference at 22. LOL
nfbandon

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:03 pm

I posted it here: https://www.facebook.com/tradgolf/

My PsyOps project on Facebook.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Range Rat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 am

This is a great idea for a thread Lag, and quite enjoyed your analysis of the match- top notch. Hope you can do one on the Masters too.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:23 am

stevemcgee99 wrote:I posted it here: https://www.facebook.com/tradgolf/

My PsyOps project on Facebook.

Great FB page. Can you maybe start a thread so when you post something on FB it appears on site for viewing. I don't have a FB account, and don't plan to have one either, but is there a way to be notified when you post something to the page without first having to sign up for an account? If there is a way to be notified then a thread wouldn't be needed I reckon'. I really enjoyed the content. 8-)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby stevemcgee99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 pm

Sure I can post it in here. Mostly just old-timey images with a mini rant. Not much discussion there.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:32 pm

I have been on and off facebook. I don't see much to offer over there in the super golf world. That is what most everyone is doing and talking about. I posted there to get some feedback from my pro friends about the state of the game etc, and a few of my old friends have called me. I spoke to Roy Omoto this morning for example. Roy owns a successful golf shop in Torrance CA. We competed against one another in high school. Roy had one of the most limber flexible rotations I had ever seen. His swing was just pure silk. I used to just love watching him hit balls and play. That kind of swing works in golf but not as well in super golf. We had a great talk this morning about lots of golf stuff. He's doing great and his store is really popular. I'll try to put up a post about it's location etc when I get a chance. I didn't get that from him this morning as he had to take another call.

As far as facebook, for me it's been more about keeping in touch with old friends..but I will go 6 months at times without logging in. It's pretty shocking how many people I know through golf. Playing high school, college, major amateur tours, several pro tours, local area people. Really a lot of deep connections and contacts that I really have forgotten I have or have taken for granted. A lot of my old friends are in very influential positions within the game, business, even politics. But it's funny when talking because it just goes back to when we were kids etc... we talk about all sorts of off the wall topics or stories about golf back then that I am sure we or they wouldn't be talking about with everyday customers, students, clients, etc. "Remember when we ____________________ and then ___________________ and a lot of laughs.

It's a lot to run this forum, swing reviews, emails, ABS Module stuff, video editing, keeping my own form in reasonable shape etc.. and still try to do some other things in life also. The whole social media craze is not a passion for me. I really can't keep up. Snapchat, twitter, Instagram, I don't know how people have the time for all of that. I would rather be working on my technique or helping others or playing some jazz drums etc.

I consider this a quality golf site, not so much a super golf site. Like Baseball vs Softball, the two games are quite similar but in reality vastly different.

In that, I have put up a post on facebook to discuss this and whether or not golf should be properly and respectfully differentiated. I think they should and I will from now on always make that distinction in discussing the two games. I am not by any means an expert on Super Golf. I might be a fair Super Golfer just as Dana Andry might be a decent baseball hitter, there is going to be some cross over skill, but I would likely not perform well near the top level of super golf. Now if we play golf, woods, blades, softer ball etc... I would feel competitive against anyone of any age or level of competency at the game of golf or classic golf... for me it's just golf because golf came first with all due respect.

I get accused of ranting on about the old game, but if we look at things in proper context, that there are two games now.. then it's just proper discussion about golf. If I speak about super golf, then I am "bashing the game" but in reality, I have been mistakenly discussing super golf within the golf context.. which is just not a correct comparison. Softball player's don't talk baseball much or visa versa... and their conversations stay within those frameworks as they should.

For the most part then do here, but because there are so many more super golfers today than golfers, it's inevitable things can get crossed up here.

I think soon I will try to do more investigation into what my pro contemporary friends are teaching in the super golf world and then try to write up and post a paper, thesis, or video on the various differing objectives with the gear, courses, swing, technique and so on.

I think it needs to be done, and might get some of the more articulate minds in the game to consider such things. I think it needs further interrogation.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Next

Return to What's New on ABS!