Mike Rees Classic Club Restoration Video Series

A multi part video series detailing (in great detail) the "how to" process of classic club restoration and repair by master craftsman Mike Rees... our resident ABS club repair professional.

Re: Mike Rees Classic Club Restoration Video Series

Postby k2baloo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:58 am

LesMurray wrote:Kyle, I'm sending the Demaret back to you - the screws are crooked :lol: :D :geek:

Lol. I wouldn't be too upset about getting that Apex shaft back. Would have never thought too much about the screws before now...
k2baloo

Pin and Iron Shaft Removal

Postby lagpressure » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Pin and Iron Shaft Removal

lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Turfrider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am

Thank you for posting these. A picture/video is worth a thousand words. I've traded a few emails back and forth with Mike and have picked up a golf repair book but this is even more helpful. I figure this will save Mike from having to answer a bunch of individual emails :) And yes, there are little to no videos like this on Youtube - I have looked before and couldn't find much - some before and after type stuff but little of the actual process, so thank you.

I don't want to be greedy, but if there is one more thing I would like to see, it is Mike doing a persimmon graft on a chip on the face.
Turfrider

Postby LesMurray » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

One thing I would like to see discussed is the effects of adjusting bulge and roll on the face of a persimmon wood. You do talk to it a little in the videos and I would like to see some discussion of this in more detail. I know this is one of the key modifications that players would do to their personal clubs. Maybe also discuss loft for woods as well.
LesMurray

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Turfrider wrote:I don't want to be greedy, but if there is one more thing I would like to see, it is Mike doing a persimmon graft on a chip on the face.

Too bad my repairs weren't filmed. I'd busted them up pretty bad!
McGee
stevemcgee99

Re Gripping Rubber and Leather Grip Restoration

Postby lagpressure » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:50 pm

lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 pm

I got the 2 wood shown - amazing!
And the M23s - there's a major repair to seriously busted up toe and face. New insert, all look amazing.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 am

We'll do a face grafting video soon.

Anyone else who wants to see something specific, let us know and we will see if we can get that up also.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby BirdyMaker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

I would like to see a video specifically pertaining to irons showing how best to:

1) Remove rust from both club head and shaft.
2) Polish chrome with a buffing wheel setup.
3) Is it possible to re-chrome a portion of an iron club head (usually toe area)?
4) How best to repaint.
5) All about ferrels including polishing and restoring individual rings.
6) Maybe how to fix a small dent in the leading edge of an iron.
7) How best to extend a shaft an inch or so.
8) How to use a bending machine (w/bar) for loft and lie, and how to double check for accuracy.
9) Is it possible to remove and re-install a vintage leather grip?
10) How best to re-groove an iron.

John, With regard to these expensive bending machines (and bars), I believe there maybe an oppertunity to design a relatively simple "mechanical fixture" that is used in a homeowners vise. The average guy is just looking to bend the hosel "lie" up or down in the correct plane. Then be able to measure the "lie" along with measuring (checking) the "loft" mostly to see that it hasn't changed. Obviously the irons "loft" could also be bent using this simple vice held mechanical fixture.
BirdyMaker

Postby lagpressure » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 am

I have bent a clubs in a typical vice, it can be done, but it's always better to have the proper tools to do the job correctly.

I agree that simply securing the head in a vice is doable, but the bending bar is a very specific design that enables the correct grip around
the hosel and the leverage to make the proper adjustment.

Taking the club in and out of the vice many times to check the lie or loft could take a lot of extra time and frustration.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Classic Club Repair with Mike Rees Video Series