Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Re: Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Postby 20 Mule Team » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:56 am

lagpressure wrote:To hold shaft flex, you have to continue to acceleration the golf club all the way to the ball. A heavier club will be easier to accelerate over a greater distance (on the way down) because it's so much harder to accelerate it quickly from the top.
The Modern theory is that speed is king, and how you get it isn't that important... but what they are missing is that if you start slow due to the presence of a heavier club, you can confidently apply more force with less fear of over acceleration.

If you are accelerating through the strike, then you also are increasing the pressure in your hands which is "feel"... the true lifeblood of the golf swing. This is why the great strikers played the heaviest gear they could handle, and why we are not seeing the next legendary ball striker in modern times. We certainly should, but technology is looking in the wrong direction in the case of golf.

I had a 'lightbulb' moment this weekend in regards to heavy equipment. I've had this Hogan Sure-On wedge for a year or more, but just never used it much since it is so heavy with a huge flange. But I got it out of the barrel and took it to the range with my Power Thrusts yesterday to mess around.

Its the same length and loft as my PT Equalizer, but the Sure-On is 35 (!!!) grams heavier (or 1 1/4 ounces). Intuitively, you'd think that you'd lose clubhead speed and thus, distance due to the extra weight. But I found that if I can correctly get it in position at the top and then use the proper ground pressure to drive it thru impact that I actually hit it further -- at least 5 and possibly 8-10 yards further than my Power Thrust -- with the same effort.

It's like dropping a sledgehammer into the back of the ball. Wow, just wow. And I understood what Lag's been saying about the increased feel/pressure in the hands. So now I've ordered the heaviest, stiffest shafts I could find to put in my favorite vintage set, the Hogan Precisions.

I'm also trying to figure out how I can load up one of my persimmon drivers to try out. I see Lag's is around 400 grams but my heaviest one is only 376. So, an extra stiff, heavy iron shaft with an extension? I'm guessing I'll also have to add lead to the head.
20 Mule Team

Postby paradigm_shift » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 am

Lag,

I have a set of M75 irons with the green label rocket shafts. Just wondering how much alteration you did to your M85s? How much did you flatten them and did you bother to add any extra weight since they are already quite heavy?
paradigm_shift

Postby LesMurray » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:31 am

paradigm_shift wrote:Lag,

I have a set of M75 irons with the green label rocket shafts. Just wondering how much alteration you did to your M85s? How much did you flatten them and did you bother to add any extra weight since they are already quite heavy?

Are your Rockets the S or R shafts? I have some '57 Staffs with Rocket S shafts and they are heavy right of the gate - no need to add extra weight to those. I just had Mike flatten them.

Check your weight on a scale and I think you will find that they are plenty heavy.
LesMurray

Postby paradigm_shift » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am

The M75 was the regular flex (which is stiffer than today's regular). I was more curious about how much you ABSers flatten the M75/M85 irons with the rocket shafts because they are fairly flat to begin with.
paradigm_shift

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Was checking my specs and found it interesting my top flites are just about at Lag's weights in the 2-9 irons without doing anything. The wedges are lighter than what he does though. They have the green rocket shafts. I've been playing them at 2 flat, but am going to drop them down another 2 degrees. I'm missing everything left and it's pretty nasty. Coming OTT doesn't help, but oh well.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:28 pm

k2baloo wrote:Was checking my specs and found it interesting my top flites are just about at Lag's weights in the 2-9 irons without doing anything. The wedges are lighter than what he does though. They have the green rocket shafts. I've been playing them at 2 flat, but am going to drop them down another 2 degrees. I'm missing everything left and it's pretty nasty. Coming OTT doesn't help, but oh well.

Brought the irons in today to get them bent a little flatter. Decided to hit the Titleist 716 7 iron while I was there. I was hitting the thing 200 consistently... Meh, nothing new but I completely forgot how different everything is. I'm done carrying 4 wedges though so I put it down and left. For comparison, my top flite 7 iron probably goes 165. I suppose they could have the simulator jacked up to sell more clubs, but either way. It was just an odd experience.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:33 am

k2baloo wrote:Brought the irons in today to get them bent a little flatter. Decided to hit the Titleist 716 7 iron while I was there. I was hitting the thing 200 consistently... Meh, nothing new but I completely forgot how different everything is. I'm done carrying 4 wedges though so I put it down and left. For comparison, my top flite 7 iron probably goes 165. I suppose they could have the simulator jacked up to sell more clubs, but either way. It was just an odd experience.

My Hogan Precisions and Staff Buttonbacks are built up to Lag's specs. I'm finding that the shafts are about 1/2" longer than my '57 Staffs and with the 6* flat lie angle I get a little toe up at address. I may need to either go 1/2" shorter or go another 2* flatter (to 8*) for a better lie.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:14 am

20 Mule Team wrote:
lagpressure wrote:To hold shaft flex, you have to continue to acceleration the golf club all the way to the ball. A heavier club will be easier to accelerate over a greater distance (on the way down) because it's so much harder to accelerate it quickly from the top.
The Modern theory is that speed is king, and how you get it isn't that important... but what they are missing is that if you start slow due to the presence of a heavier club, you can confidently apply more force with less fear of over acceleration.

If you are accelerating through the strike, then you also are increasing the pressure in your hands which is "feel"... the true lifeblood of the golf swing. This is why the great strikers played the heaviest gear they could handle, and why we are not seeing the next legendary ball striker in modern times. We certainly should, but technology is looking in the wrong direction in the case of golf.

I had a 'lightbulb' moment this weekend in regards to heavy equipment. I've had this Hogan Sure-On wedge for a year or more, but just never used it much since it is so heavy with a huge flange. But I got it out of the barrel and took it to the range with my Power Thrusts yesterday to mess around.

Its the same length and loft as my PT Equalizer, but the Sure-On is 35 (!!!) grams heavier (or 1 1/4 ounces). Intuitively, you'd think that you'd lose clubhead speed and thus, distance due to the extra weight. But I found that if I can correctly get it in position at the top and then use the proper ground pressure to drive it thru impact that I actually hit it further -- at least 5 and possibly 8-10 yards further than my Power Thrust -- with the same effort.

It's like dropping a sledgehammer into the back of the ball. Wow, just wow. And I understood what Lag's been saying about the increased feel/pressure in the hands. So now I've ordered the heaviest, stiffest shafts I could find to put in my favorite vintage set, the Hogan Precisions.

I'm also trying to figure out how I can load up one of my persimmon drivers to try out. I see Lag's is around 400 grams but my heaviest one is only 376. So, an extra stiff, heavy iron shaft with an extension? I'm guessing I'll also have to add lead to the head.

Yes, I use a 1 iron shaft and extend it to driver length. The shaft is also tipped several inches. I call this a pole shaft. This way it reacts like an iron, just longer and never goes left.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:17 am

paradigm_shift wrote:Lag,

I just flattened them out. Heavy heads, stiff shafts and I worked a bit on some offset removal in the shorter irons.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Equipment