Removing Wilson Grip Caps

Removing Wilson Grip Caps

Postby k2baloo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Am taking off some old Wilson leather grips. Got everything off except the end caps. Very firm plastic that feels like it may be epoxied in. Any thoughts on how to easily extract them? I don't plan on reusing them.

Thanks
k2baloo

Re: Removing Wilson Grip Caps

Postby Turfrider » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 am

I'm not an expert. So you may want to wait to confirm :D

But having removed an old leather grip from an early macgregor wood I will say, it's probably not an end "cap" but a pretty solid rubber plug. I cut the cap off with a very sharp knife, then used something like an awl to poke and chip away at the solid rubber underneath.

I also have an M85 iron which lost its cap, and the rubber from the plug is still there in the shaft, quite firm and solid.

There's probably a more sophisticated way than cutting, and then chiseling away, but that is what I remember doing.
Turfrider

Postby LesMurray » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 am

The butt ends for my Wilsons are held on by screws to an expanding plug. The end cap covers these screws so probably no issue to pry them off.
LesMurray

Postby mdrretired » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Heat and a pair of pliers.
mdrretired

Postby k2baloo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm

mdrretired wrote:Heat and a pair of pliers.

Worked perfectly, thanks Mike.

Only thing to add is not much heat is needed. I did too much on the first two shafts and have to clean some plastic out tomorrow. Other 6 plugs came out very cleanly.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:50 am

Next up - I need to add a .5 inch extension to a 3 wood. The problem is the shaft has tiny indents near the butt end. I believe they were purposely made to hold the old wood extension they had in there.
So now I can't get a traditional extension in.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:04 am

k2baloo wrote:Next up - I need to add a .5 inch extension to a 3 wood. The problem is the shaft has tiny indents near the butt end. I believe they were purposely made to hold the old wood extension they had in there.

Couldn't you use another wooden dowel for that? At least to join two shaft sections together?
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:30 pm

LesMurray wrote:
k2baloo wrote:Next up - I need to add a .5 inch extension to a 3 wood. The problem is the shaft has tiny indents near the butt end. I believe they were purposely made to hold the old wood extension they had in there.

Couldn't you use another wooden dowel for that? At least to join two shaft sections together?

Definitely possible. I ended up just filing down the little indents on the inside of the shaft and used a steel extension. I preferred that as I already had a few in my closet.

My wife suggested this solution about 5 seconds after I explained the problem....
k2baloo

Postby mdrretired » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:38 pm

If you plan to do a bit of work then invest in a rotary tool like a Dremel and a grinding attachment to save time. You might be able to chuck a grinding bit into your drill too. If the set points are near the end of the shaft then consider cutting the end of the shaft to eliminate them and making a longer extension. I like to limit extensions to about 2" but Lag's driver has about 6" to get the Ping 1 iron shaft long enough (sort of scared me but it works). Mike
mdrretired

Return to Equipment