DX tourney any good?

Re: DX tourney any good?

Postby IronOfZion » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 am

tim chapman wrote:
IronOfZion wrote:those look like the m85 colokroms I have.
Here are some pics so you can have a look yourself:
http://www.advancedballstriking.com/for ... =97&t=1843
Great set of irons from the 50's, but very hard to find in good condition. Might be good to try and find out if these are indeed the m85's and not M65 or M75 since those have less stiff shafts.

thanks IOZ - the adv does say stiff shafts but unfortunately the guy selling them appears to be a bit of an arse, so i don't think i can get any more info out of him..... check out this reply to my Q for any more details & the identifcation of the writing on the 2i :-) (these clubs are at one of my other shops where they are also on sale and i wont be there again until friday as i own and help run the other shops that i also own and i am far too busy to worry about selling this set of irons that are clearly pictured and described in detail and we cannot understand why you are asking so many questions about a £99 set of irons - the listing tells you and shows you everything you need to know regarding the purchase of this £99 set of macgregor tour forged irons 2 to 9 iron)

i was thinking to offer him 60 quid but without the pw & not being able to be sure if they are m85 perhaps i'll move on - unless perhaps you think they would be a real bargain at that price ? They look to be in good nick anyway.

maybe i could phone his other shop - he owns several don't you know :-) - perhaps his mate there will be more disposed towards offering something approaching customer service

would the m85 identification be stamped on the head ? cheers Tim

Wow. I thought I had dealt with some arrogant frogs on fleabay but this guy is something special :lol:
I wouldn't want to give that guy any money :P
Anyway, here is a pic that shows the location of the M85 stamping.
M85.jpg
M85.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby tim chapman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:50 am

Wow. I thought I had dealt with some arrogant frogs on fleabay but this guy is something special :lol:
I wouldn't want to give that guy any money :P
Anyway, here is a pic that shows the location of the M85 stamping.

thanks IoZ - yes he's choice isn't he - sorry could have spotted the m85 if i'd been awake - thanks for your help Tim
i want to stand on our 1st tee thinking 68 if i play nicely & 74 is about as bad as it can get
tim chapman

Postby tsdean1980 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:33 pm

been looking at the below 2 sets of irons for a while now, Was leaning towards the WS, but the Cotton irons look great. Hard to find details on them

http://golf-list.com.au/Classic-set-of- ... 25076.aspx

http://golf-list.com.au/Classic-Wilson- ... 15049.aspx
tsdean1980

Postby bullrambler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:03 am

Anyone have any info on the these http://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Ir ... dx1-64.htm These are the earliest DX ! irons made by MacGregor, And the #1 Tourney Action shaft. These steps in the DX 1 irons are closer together then a Dynamic and are higher up from the hosel. And comments would be appreciated.
"It clobbering Time"
bullrambler

Postby mrlek » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:16 am

I'm not an ABS student but would say the DX1s look like a good set based on what is discussed on this forum, especially with stiff shafts.

The late 50's / early 60's Macgregor models are slightly squarer in general shape compared to the older Silver Scots. I believe the overall head weight is heavier, certainly they look like there's more mass to put on the ball. No off-set unless they've been changed.
mrlek

Postby bullrambler » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:01 am

I found out that the Tourney Action #1 shaft is High bendpoint and Standard weight. Although it doesn't feel that way. The DX 1 irons hit the ball higher then my Vintage M-85 irons which have the Dynamics in them.
"It clobbering Time"
bullrambler

Previous

Return to Equipment