Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Postby lagpressure » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:23 pm

http://advancedballstriking.com/lag_specs.doc

For those interested in how I have my sets "set up" here is a doc file you can download for your contemplation.

These are my MacGregor M85 specs which I like also
http://advancedballstriking.com/1953_M85.doc
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Postby Addington Arnie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 am

Great stuff Lag - super useful! I have never really fully understood the practicalities of tipping a shaft so can you shed a bit of light for me? So if you are tipping a shaft half an inch does that that mean you are trimming that amount off the tip end rather than the butt end? And if so is it only an option with shafts that are longer than that you want to play them at?

Thanks, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby Justin Tang » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:59 am

Hi Lag,

How about putting up your average carry distance for each club?
I think most of us need to be brainwashed out of thinking that heavy clubs / heavy swingweights = short distances.
Justin Tang

Postby macs » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi Arnie
I had this discussion with jeff Summit of Hireko golf last year about shaft trimming (after I had already wrongly trimmed a couple of Hogan Apex shafts from the butt end). Do go down to the posts for clarity.
http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2008/02/13/c ... -trimming/
Last edited by macs on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
macs

Postby twomasters » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:20 am

Addington Arnie wrote:Great stuff Lag - super useful! I have never really fully understood the practicalities of tipping a shaft so can you shed a bit of light for me? So if you are tipping a shaft half an inch does that that mean you are trimming that amount off the tip end rather than the butt end? And if so is it only an option with shafts that are longer than that you want to play them at?

Thanks, Arnie

Also Arnie, most taper tip shafts are already pre cut and set at their desired flex and thickness level- therefore cutting them at the tip can stiffen them more but can also in some instances make them not even fit the head you are inserting them into as the shaft is tapered and gets thicker as it goes upwards- Cut it too much at the bottom and you trim off the correct thickness- so a 355 taper tip now becomes larger and won't go in the head.- These shafts are mainly trimmed to length by cutting at the butt end
Parallel shafts (normally have a U at the end of the flex information- S300U for eg) are normally cut from the tip end to calculate stiffness and length
Just a bit more info about it- I am no means a club maker but do dabble and fool around with my own equipment- Lag will give you more insight I am sure.
twomasters

Postby Addington Arnie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Macs and Two - many thanks for the link and the insight - I understand trimming better now.

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby lagpressure » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:49 pm

cutting them from the tips makes them stiffer. Sometimes I like to step a set differently than they came from the factory, in other words, my personal preference is that I like my long irons and woods very stiff, but am more open to my shorter irons being more along the line of what the factory had in mind. I can tip them all I want, in fact with my set of Hogan Power Thrusts, I decided to put in the stiffest shafts of all my sets. I tipped them an inch and a half over what was originally an DG X100. Super stiff. I love them in the long irons, but I"m not as certain in the short irons, which means I might bump up the head weights significantly more with the shorter irons. This would be done progressively.

With a couple of these sets I tipped, I added length to the grip end by putting in extenders from other old shafts. There is virtually no flex going on in the grip, so adding a 2 inch stub in then taping it up to level with the old butt end allows me to add length before re gripping.

I like my grips a little built up like Moe did, and I think Hogan did too. Knudson liked really thick grips. Of course this does lighten swing weight some, so keep that in mind too. This is one of the reasons those guys could have really heavy heads but not really heavy swing weights.

When you cut the taper tips, you might have to drill out the necks on the clubs. I have done a lot of that, and am now faced with taking some time off the game from hurting my elbow from the power drill snapping my right arm and blowing out my elbow. Lesson learned. I hope to be back swinging a club in a few weeks! ouch
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:45 am

Lag,

Sorry to hear about your elbow..Hope it feels better real soon..

I remember as a young junior golfer sitting around the clubhouse waiting for the rain to stop, I used to watch the Club Pro sand and alter the bulge and roll his woods etc…But I also remember him putting in weights in the 1,2,& 3 irons in the butt end of the club for a little less swing weight and potentially more speed/acc..

Also, Lag thanks for the spec post…That diver is almost Wild Bill's Spec of 45 degrees…Maybe you’ve said it before but which club do you tend to take out of play when you add in the 15th club, the putter, to your spec sheet?
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby lagpressure » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:12 am

It depends upon the golf course.

most likely the 2 iron.

My 1 iron is my go to club for "must hit" the fairway. I typically play a slight power fade shot with the 1 iron, but I can draw it if needed also.

It's hard to hook a 1 iron, and hard to slice it also, especially from a flat lie angle. I have mine set at 13 degrees so it's a real knife!

My two favorite 1 irons are my 1962 Hogan Power Thrust and my 1962 Dynapower Turf Rider. Same set up and specs but totally different feeling clubs. It's amazing really.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:33 pm

From 56 flattened to 48 degrees...
re bored the hole in the neck, filled it with epoxy and sawdust, then re drilled it flatter.

penna_1.JPG
penna_1.JPG (129.48 KiB) Viewed 16294 times
penna2.JPG
penna2.JPG (134.03 KiB) Viewed 16311 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment