Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Re: Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Postby 20 Mule Team » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:58 am

norcalvol wrote:I have a set of Model No. 28's. They weren’t oil-hardened, but Spalding used a wood treating process called “Hydrosealed.” And they were known for their especially hard persimmon wood.

When you hit one in the screws, they have a feeling unlike any persimmon club I've ever hit. So solid.

I agree. I have a set of Model 38's and I really love them. My fairway woods are designated with half sizes: 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 4 1/2, and I love the lies (around 50*), lengths, and lofts on them:

Driver - 11*, 43.5"
2 1/2 - 14*, 43.0"
3 1/2 - 17*, 42.5"
4 1/2 - 21*, 42.0"

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (128.97 KiB) Viewed 3427 times

I hit a nice low fade with the driver, but find myself hitting the 2 wood off the tee a lot. It flies higher and straighter and is easier to draw for me. The two complement each other perfectly off the tee. Just a great set of woods and look pretty good, too, after I refinished them.
20 Mule Team

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:33 am

My dad played Spalding woods. He's a lefty, though. I was looking at them last week and it seemed the lies were pretty flat.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:37 pm

I hit a nice low fade with the driver, but find myself hitting the 2 wood off the tee a lot. It flies higher and straighter and is easier to draw for me. The two complement each other perfectly off the tee. Just a great set of woods and look pretty good, too, after I refinished them.

These are great clubs.

Woods used to be set up this way so you had options off the tee. Workability, trajectory. It's incredible golfer's don't think like this anymore. If the courses required accuracy off the tee as they should, golfers would have to think differently.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby mrlek » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:26 am

Lag,

Looking at your specs and I wondered how the feel of your sand wedge compares to the other clubs? Its a higher dead weight but is it consciously a heavier club to swing?

Ive been adding some mass to my irons with lead tape but they are starting to 'feel' close to my current sand wedge (vintage R90) . Do you think the irons should 'feel' lighter in this respect? Perhaps they need to be counter balanced to increase club head mass while maintaining a lighter feel?

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Attachments
hogan 1947 st louis country club.jpg
hogan 1947 st louis country club.jpg (122.86 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
mrlek

Postby lagpressure » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:08 pm

The SW is the heaviest club in my bag because I use it as a sand wedge.. from the sand. I will occasionally use it from heavy rough around the green, but not that often.

The weight works the clubhead down and under the ball, the bounce stops it from digging and stalling. Heavy with adequate bounce is ideal.

However, I don't like a flat SW, instead I have mine quite upright at 66 degrees or so. This allows me to open the face and play from where my hands would normally be with flatter lie angles. This is a much better way to approach sand shots in my opinion.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Jollysammy » Mon May 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks Lag for your personal equipment specs.

I just combined a set of Mizuno MP-4 iron heads with a set of Dynamic Gold X-700 shafts. Had everything setup for D6 with the PW D8, they weigh from 434g to 474g.

3 degrees flat.

My son used them for the 1st time today at Half Moon Bay Old Course. He told me they feel great, and he proceeded to shoot one of his best rounds. They were extremely straight and they allowed him to really go after each shot. This finally confirms to me that he is indeed a hitter. Every store that I talked to told me he couldn't hit shafts as stiff as these, and yet he hits them perfectly.

That tells me that a lot of these fitters have no idea how to advise a hitter. Many try to convince me to have him use lighter and lighter equipment and he himself has told me that the industry is not making equipment that fits his swing.

Thank you for ABS, the information here is giving us clear guidance that is improving his game.
Jollysammy

Postby lagpressure » Mon May 25, 2015 8:34 pm

To hold shaft flex, you have to continue to acceleration the golf club all the way to the ball. A heavier club will be easier to accelerate over a greater distance (on the way down) because it's so much harder to accelerate it quickly from the top.
The Modern theory is that speed is king, and how you get it isn't that important... but what they are missing is that if you start slow due to the presence of a heavier club, you can confidently apply more force with less fear of over acceleration.

If you are accelerating through the strike, then you also are increasing the pressure in your hands which is "feel"... the true lifeblood of the golf swing. This is why the great strikers played the heaviest gear they could handle, and why we are not seeing the next legendary ball striker in modern times. We certainly should, but technology is looking in the wrong direction in the case of golf.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Jollysammy » Tue May 26, 2015 5:31 am

Here is a copy of an email correspondence with a local custom fitter:

Thank you for contacting me. My typical charge for building an MOI-matched set with TLT and the stable oscillation plane of the shafts aligned along the target line, including a standard tour-velvet or Pure grip is $65 per club for golfers who already have the shafts of their choice.

Are the shafts and heads new or used?

I am curious about your choice of shafts. The X-7 is a heavy older-style shaft that requires a significant amount of force to swing it to optimum effect. Since many pros are playing lighter weight shafts to reduce fatigue and gain greater clubhead speed, I would be interested in knowing what performance qualities your son desires in a shaft for irons and whether he has considered any models other than heavy steel. It would also help to know your son's age and height.

On the home page of my website is a launch monitor image that was generated when I fit a mini-tour pro for shafts several months ago. It shows 12 shots hit in succession with a 6-iron, and the shot cluster inset compares the results of the same test done with two other shafts. The irons had been bent to a one-degree weaker loft than standard, and the 6-irons for this test had lofts of 32º. The best performing club was ~20 g lighter than the heaviest club due to the lighter weight of the shaft.

I'm happy to build your clubs but just wanted to add a little perspective that you might find helpful since many tournament players I help prefer lighter weight shafts.

I thanked him for the correspondence but realized that where he wanted to take my son was a road we had been down before which did not lead to increased "accuracy".

I had the heads shafted at the store I use with the instructions to tip weight them until they at least reached D5, they came up D6 which was fine.

Yesterday when he was at the 18th hole of Half Moon bay Old Course he hit his 5 iron and it went to the right about 14 yds but pin high, he then dropped another ball, made a mental adjustment and then proceeded to hit the next ball right at the pin with a tiny baby draw that flew over the pin and landed 5 yds behind it. He then told me that these shafts just needed a little extra force but he liked the accuracy of them. He hadn't hit these clubs until playing them on the course, no range, not even swung them when we got them back the day before.

I've realized over the years that my son is a feel player, he's seeking good contact, the feeling when he flushes it. His biggest annoyance is when he doesn't feel the swing, and tracing back it always happens with clubs that are too light.

Your explanations are the most reasonable and understandable statements we have ever encountered along this journey of golf discovery.

Thanks again.
Jollysammy

Postby Jollysammy » Wed May 27, 2015 4:47 pm

Lag,

How did you get your wedges up to e6 or e9? Did you use tungsten powder or lead tape?

Since the irons came out so well, we are wanting to try increasing the swingweight of the wedges too. The wedges I want to use are now at D2, so I figure about 38 grams should do it.

thanks
Jollysammy

Postby k2baloo » Wed May 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Jollysammy wrote:Lag,

How did you get your wedges up to e6 or e9? Did you use tungsten powder or lead tape?

Since the irons came out so well, we are wanting to try increasing the swingweight of the wedges too. The wedges I want to use are now at D2, so I figure about 38 grams should do it.

thanks

38 grams is an insane amount to add only to the club head IMO.... Will make the shaft feel like a limp noodle. I would do a combo of a heavier shaft and weight to the head. If you really are concerned about swing weight you can do a lighter grip too.

Maybe lag will comment, but he's said multiple times he cares more about dead weight than swing weight
k2baloo

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment