Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Re: Lag's Personal Equipment Specifications

Postby 1teebox » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 pm

lagpressure wrote:Go Low,

The reason I promote holding shaft flex is that I don't have to deal with trying to "Time" the shaft straightening exactly at impact. I try to pin it back "flexed" to take timing out of the swing. This also enables me to not have to worry about perfect shaft frequencies and all that stuff swingers need to. Spining shafts, all that stuff.

The second reason is that holding shaft flex puts more pressure in my hands than a dumped shaft. Since golf is ultimately a game of feel, this pressure in the hands from leveraging hand speed against the mass of the clubhead which creates the pre stressed clubshaft is truly the lifeblood of shot shaping. I like to be able to feel the club, and feel pressure in my hands.

Third, the physics of impact. Homer Kelley was basically correct in his epic chapter 2 of TGM regarding mass and ball compression, the dynamics of a pre stressed clubshaft, and the basic physics of hitting a golf ball. I don't agree with much about how he suggests you do this, but he understood what needs to happen regarding the physics of mass and acceleration as far as the golf ball and club are concerned.

As far a why today's touring pros prefer more upright lie angles? I would guess like most golfers, people get swooned into the idea of "standard". It sounds safe. They don't think it through and neither do their coaches...and they never try flatter lie angles. I grew up playing standard lie angles. For most people, they are going to play what is handed to them... and then their swing will evolve from that gear setup. However, standard lies are simply not ideal unless you are about 6-8.

Today I played with a nice Asian gentleman and his son along with my Dad in Sedona, at Oak Creek CC. A nice Robert T Jones Sr layout. After he watched me finish birdie, birdie, par, Eagle, par, birdie for a "15 green" 69... he started asking questions. He stood 5-4 and was playing irons 2 degrees upright. After the round I had him hit my flat blade 5 iron, and he looked at it and said.. "Oh I can't hit this". But he did. I dropped two balls in the fairway, and he remarked how heavy the iron was. I told him to grip it firmer, and really strike it hard. He absolutely flushed both shots, unlike anything he had hit all day. So guess who is switching to a set of vintage blades next week? It's not about height or arm length, it's about how much knee bend you can handle through impact. Watch Knudson.

I would say I really felt off today... which is ok. Golf is a tough game, and some days the club just feels terrible in my hands.. but I was still able to play a nice round because I chipped in twice, rolled in two 15 footers, and a 20 footer.
But because I use heavy gear, and flat lies, I don't have to worry about left too often, and I can certainly feel the clubhead in my hands much better than if I was using light gear. Truthfully, I kinda skanked it around. I was not pin hunting today,
and had a lot of 40 foot putts. However, by keeping the cards stacked in my favor with heavy clubs and flat lie angles, my OTT swings today were still on the green, not in the bunker. My thinned irons had enough mass in the heads to get me on the green... and my missed greens were short and right with simple uphill conversion opportunities. The swings where I jumped at it from the top, and over accelerated, well, I have stiff enough shafts that the clubhead couldn't do anything silly or get too out of position.

So really, this is exactly why I have my gear set up flat heavy and stiff. So I can not play for 3 weeks, drive 1000 miles, not hit balls, and keep the ball basically ahead of me, not going sideways.

Guys on tour who play everyday, hit 300 balls, chip and putt, and grind, grind, grind. well.. given that.. I think we should be seeing something a lot better that what we are. Maybe you are impressed? Not me.

Have you seen the Knudson video I have up on youtube? If not.. watch it.

I think we should be seeing nearly every guy on tour doing this most every round. With all the so called technological advances, video, high speed cameras, trackman, TGM, wind tunnels, frying pans, cavity backs, laser scopes, perfect fairways. We should be seeing guys hitting pins with regularity. 16 greens a round should be standard fair, and 18 green rounds once or twice a week from guys even around the cut line. With the money people are paying these guys, we should be seeing something a lot better. Unlike you, I am very disappointed.

So what is the problem? Basically the golf swings are terrible (at that level), the equipment is totally missing the mark, the balls are low spinning and too difficult to control, the players are too spoiled with perfect conditions. They don't know how to hit out of a bad lie. They cry about the wind. They cry if it rains. They cry if there are trees on the course or the rough is too high. They rely too much on yardages, and haven't learned to feel their shots correctly in advance of the strike.

Most people don't play all that often.. and they don't have time to grind 1000's of balls. If anyone needs flat, heavy, stiff gear it's your basic amateur player. I could probably miss every single green and still shoot 76. By not hitting space balls, and playing smart.. missing greens in the right places and a decent short game. Most anyone can be playing in the high 70's
or better. You simply don't need to be smashing the golf ball 300 yards with a frying pan. Get a flat heavy stick, work it around your body, eliminate the left side, grip it firm and just make decent contact, and you can play pretty respectable golf.

Sam Snead on Heavy Clubs in “The Game I Love”, with Fran Pirozzolo, 1997:

Page 58, “Henry Picard Picks Me Up”

“… Henry’s generosity in selling me a driver put me on the right track. He sold it to me for $5.50, which is what he paid for it. I was able to control my shots with this driver. It was heavy, with a very stiff shaft. The story going around that I used it for twenty-three years, that I never let another man hit it, and that I slept with it was true – except for the last part!”

Page 61, “Feel for the Club Face”

“…You’ve got to know where that club head is and what’s happening to the club face. … I don’t agree with the current trend toward lighter club heads, because they take away the feel of where the club face is. I think a heavy-feeling club head is better. My first driver was an E-5 swing weight, and I used if for most of my career. I needed to know where the club face was.”
1teebox

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Weight for Straight. 8-)
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:43 pm

I updated my spec sheet slightly with a couple slight changes. 14 ounce persimmon. Wedge is at 50 degrees with a fairway wedge at 56 and a designated SW also at 56 degrees, but set up upright with an R20 head and 18.5 ounces with more bounce.

I talked also a bit about offset for those interested.

I updated the sheet on the first page of this thread as it recently got a bit off topic. You can always find the document on the first page.
I also put up the slightly different specs of my M85's which are one of my favorite sets also.

http://advancedballstriking.com/lag_specs.doc
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby foreleft » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi Lag,

On your M85 equiment specs you list the first step from the ground measurement for the Dynamic Steel #1 shafts. That is a very useful measurement, thank you!

Do you think you could also list the first step from the ground measurement for your sets in which you use Dynamic Gold X100s (maybe add it to your "standard" spec MS Word doc)?

Also, for your Dynamic Gold X100 woods do you use the .335 parallel tip?

Thanks again for all your help!
foreleft

Postby lagpressure » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I like the taper tips in my woods...
parallel tips are fine in my irons. Although I have sets with both.
As a hitter, as long as my shafts are relatively firm.. I don't fret over it too much.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Hot Soup » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:49 am

Do these total weights listed include the grip? As in, is a "14 oz persimmon" a 14 oz. persimmon with grip installed?
Hot Soup

Postby NRG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Yes, includes grips.
NRG

Postby lagpressure » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 pm

I just updated my personal spec sheet for those interested.
Just a few changes.. with the wedges.. and my 2 wood is a bit heavier now.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lecoeurdevie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 am

Out of morbid curiosity what clubs were you playing when you were on the road and what was your stock bag setup? I don't get the 2 wood thing, I can't remember ever standing over a shot and wishing I had a 2 wood. And the no L wedge thing too for that matter. If you have a bunch of those old R90s & R20s you can't tell me that none of them have more than 56° loft, especially the ones without any offset. There have been weak Sand Wedges since before they were wedges. I've hit hickory niblicks that had almost 70°, they were useless but there's never been any rule against it. They just weren't necessary with a ball that spun and typical course conditions.
lecoeurdevie

Location: High Sierra, Califormia, U.S.A., Planet Earth. Terran System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby lagpressure » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:11 am

I have always had a 2 wood in my bag. It's just a strong 3 wood really.. and helps me get onto par 5's at times. I have never had trouble getting a 2 wood up in the air, and I also like to use it off the tee if I need to turn one right to left. It's much easier for me to draw a 2 wood than a driver.

I have never felt the need for a lob wedge. 56 degrees is plenty.. and I can flop one up in the air with the best of them. If my lie is good I will use my SW. If it's tight I use the gap.

I prefer to open the face up to get my loft at that point. It gives me access to the bounce that I would not otherwise have with a lob wedge.

I thought it was interesting that Tom Watson never used a lob wedge at Augusta. Just his 56. I agree, I just don't see the need for one.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment