Ben Hogan's gear... debunked.

Re: Ben Hogan's gear... debunked.

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue May 30, 2017 4:26 am

Mashie72 wrote:http://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-would-modern-tour-pros-do-hitting-ben-hogans-old-clubs-we-had-them-try-and-it-wasnt-pretty?mbid=nl_052817_golfworld&CNDID=29361056&spMailingID=11128491&spUserID=MTMyNjM4NjU0NjUwS0&spJobID=1162426500&spReportId=MTE2MjQyNjUwMAS2

Loved this article! DaLaet was right...they should have made them hit balatas.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Wknhacker » Tue May 30, 2017 7:47 am

It's too bad that so many golfers today will never know the sweetness of hitting a balata ball with a persimmon driver.

I still remember the day (3 years ago) that I got my first persimmon driver and went to the range to try it out. The first time I pured one was unlike anything I had experienced or felt with my titanium driver. Then I got some balata balls off ebay and played 9 holes at my local muni course and I was hooked from that moment on. The feel, the sound, the ball flight from a well struck shot with a persimmon driver is like cocaine to the brain - you just can't get enough of it.

I've tried to encourage a lot of my golfing buddies to give persimmon woods and balata balls a try but sadly no one is remotely interested.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby LesMurray » Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 am

I've started playing balata balls again. Ebay usually has some if you don't mind logo balls. I passed up a deal on 7 dozen X-out Titleists.

This past weekend I played 3 rounds using balatas. I have always played persimmon woods and blades.
LesMurray

Postby Wknhacker » Tue May 30, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah Les. Ebay is really the only viable place where we can still get decent quality balatas. When I don't have balatas I usually use the ProV1 or the Wilson duo which is a really soft ball.

I enjoy playing both vintage and modern gear. There is a place for both in my opinion. I tend to play my vintage gear on shorter tracks and/or municipal courses. My current gaming irons (no matter what track) is set of Hogan Apex II Black Cameo which was bent 3 degrees flat and have the Apex 4 shafts. I'll play this set until they wear out as I've yet to find something comparable in terms of performance and feel.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby Wknhacker » Wed May 31, 2017 11:43 am

Interesting video I found on YouTube.

Wknhacker

Postby LesMurray » Wed May 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Love that - "we're gonna go back. Go back to real golf..."

My gamers are Tommy Armour 653s of the same era. The 653 was not as good a grain as the 693s but still a decent club. And it is great to hit that club with an old balata ball.
LesMurray

Postby eagle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:49 am

Great video. Pure pleasure to watch. Thanks for posting.

Anyone know that guy?
eagle

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Wknhacker wrote:Interesting video I found on YouTube.

Thanks for posting that vid. It's so true what he is saying about the feel, flight, and the idea of golf being played as it was intended.
It's just a great feeling to hit persimmon, which is a solid club, low bullet flight, soft feel, and the whap sound of impact that is just so
addicting.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:04 pm

JH was a sidekick of Martin Ayers several years ago. They did a bunch of videos together from 2007-2011 or so. JH always was discovering the secret. Lol.
nfbandon

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:52 pm

A lot of deductive reasoning can be worked back from the clubs. Reverse engineering, or as they do in archeology.
Knowing the clubs (artifacts) are flat, heavy and stiff without offset, then we can just start going backwards from there.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment