What kind of ball do you play?

Re: What kind of ball do you play?

Postby tinman143 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am

sounds like a sensible plan
tinman143

Postby jrich99 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:57 am

One potential problem though is getting the ball to be USGA approved. For those who compete in USGA or R&A sanctioned events, I don't know if it makes sense to practice with a ball that performs differently than the one you use in competition.
jrich99

Postby Ironsmith » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 am

I don't think having the USGA approve this "experimental" batch of balls is that much of a problem at this time. If we were to truly get a balata like ball that truly does seem to be like the balatas of old and everyone here loves and buys them, then we could get them sent to the USGA for testing/approval. I would imagine whoever this manufacturer is, has a direct pipeline to the USGA/R&A testing for approval. Whatever balls they are producing now probably goes for approval testing now.

No raining on our parade jrich99..... ;)

Seems like with the ball technology we have today, it should be relatively easy to recreate a balata type ball that lasts as long as a modern ball. They have already done it in the past, I used to love the Strata ball back in the 90's. Balata like performance at a decent price.

BTW, If Lag/Two gets to test these balls and they like them, put me down for 5 dozen (if at ProV or less pricing).
Ironsmith

Postby SteelArcher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey everyone,
first time posting here, but I've been lurking the forums for a few months now, soaking up information like a sponge :D.

I love that this is being discussed here. Nowhere else do you find people talking about getting a new ball to feel like the old balatas!

I've been playing the Wilson FG Tours and they're nicer than many, but they still feel like rocks. Also recently discovered that Penfold is still making balls. Wonder what those feel like...

Any progress with this new ball idea? Would be seriously interested in what comes of this.
SteelArcher

Previous

Return to Equipment