Understanding Offset

Re: Understanding Offset

Postby jfischer13 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:05 am

No offset in anything. Its imperative that you have consistency throughout the golf bag. Do you know which eye is your dominant eye?

I'm left eye dominant and have a hard time squaring the putter to my intended line with an offset putter.
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby IanB » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 am

Since starting working on my own clubs from inspiration gained from this forum I can't stand looking at any club with offset.

My favorite putter is an accushnet bullseye. Find it easy to aline and doesn't look like the millennium falcon! 8-)
To be honest it feels great too and the old leather grip cleaned up pretty well!
There is DO and there is DO NOT. There is no TRY.
IanB

Postby jgradds » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:03 pm

i am right eye dominant and seem to putt better with an open stance. I assume its being able to see down the line with my right eye. Offset seems to just add another complication to an already complex move, the putt. I also have realized that anything more than a dot on the top of the putter (to locate COG...if the dot is even in the right place) is distracting to me. I love letting the mind/eyes figure it out itself.
jgradds

Postby jfischer13 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:48 am

jgradds,

Its easy to see why putting with an open stance would be easier for you. I bet its also easier on your distance control. The closer your eyes are to perpendicular line from the target line the better your depth perception. (AKA more open stance and head turned to the left). I also enjoy a putter with no marking or alignment aids. Ive been experimenting with hitting putts slightly off the sweet spot on slick down hill putts. Utilizing the chip rolling protocols I can still keep the putt on line but it seems to take just a bit of pace off the putt. Those alignment aids just seem to cause more for me when my brain tries to compete between the two ideas.

I think offset really belongs in the dave pelz straight back and straight through camp of putters, but only for those with right eye dominance. A straight back and straight through with a left eye dominance is disaster for most.
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby paradigm_shift » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 am

I play with 1968 and 1970 Haig Ultra irons. I like them because they seem to have very little offset and are 'relatively' heavy. If I bend them 2 or 3 degrees flatter will I need to hammer out any offset or should it be fine?
paradigm_shift

Postby mdrretired » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 pm

You are unlikely to bend in off-set with a lie adjustment but make sure you get the angle right - straight back. Loft adjustments can be another matter. Mike
mdrretired

Previous

Return to Equipment