WHAT BALL TO PLAY WITH PERSIMMONS???

WHAT BALL TO PLAY WITH PERSIMMONS???

Postby Sir Hackalot » Mon May 19, 2014 4:57 pm

I need some help here, just played Vista Valley CC down here in San Diego County today - played with a couple of pros from SDCC getting ready for the Senior Qualifier. Never saw the course before but brought out the classic sticks (MacGregor 1 and 4 woods and some Hogan Apex blades). Long story short; I wasn't at all that far behind the boys hitting the frying pans BUT on the 18th (565 par 5) I tried to muscle up and pipe my driver, ended up watching the head fly 70 yrds into bushes ahead of the back tees - snapped at the neck, I could see the screw patterns where the sole plate screw was. I was hitting a ProV1x all day - what ball should I be playing with??? I don't want to have a barrel of drivers sitting around and as you all may know, it's hard to find one that feels good. Any valid suggestions would be mucho appreciato!
Sir Hackalot

Re: WHAT BALL TO PLAY WITH PERSIMMONS???

Postby norcalvol » Mon May 19, 2014 5:32 pm

I've started to play the Wilson Staff Duo.

It feels softer off the persimmon clubs than Titleists I've played, and I don't see any distance being given up. In fact, on Saturday, my teeshot on the first hole (at the famous Mare Island track) with my newly refurbished PowerBilt Citation persimmon, went a grand total of 285, according to where the blue tees are and where the ball ended up related to the red-100 stakes. Yes, I'm counting roll. 8-) Nonetheless, it was flushed, crushed, and felt like a peanut butter sandwich.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby LesMurray » Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 pm

I've tried out the Nike RZN White. It still feels like a rock though. I like the Titlist ProV1 over the RZN White.
LesMurray

Postby Sir Hackalot » Tue May 20, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks for the input guys, guess I'll chalk it up as a fluke and drive on.
Sir Hackalot

Postby LipOut » Tue May 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Mr. Hackalot,

I would suggest that there was probably a pre-existing flaw in the persimmon that broke. Maybe a hairline crack or previous patch - how old was it? I've played ProV1 with persimmon a lot and I find it plays great. As long as you find the insert most of the time you shouldn't have any problems. If you are getting a new one I suggest a Cleveland Classic from the 80's. They're cheap and will hold up against modern balls just fine. The AL44 comes with a gamma fire glass insert that won't break. TC15 is a good model too.
LipOut

Postby LesMurray » Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 pm

norcalvol wrote:I've started to play the Wilson Staff Duo.

It feels softer off the persimmon clubs than Titleists I've played, and I don't see any distance being given up. In fact, on Saturday, my teeshot on the first hole (at the famous Mare Island track) with my newly refurbished PowerBilt Citation persimmon, went a grand total of 285, according to where the blue tees are and where the ball ended up related to the red-100 stakes. Yes, I'm counting roll. 8-) Nonetheless, it was flushed, crushed, and felt like a peanut butter sandwich.

NorCal you got my interest piqued. I may have to try this ball out. The reviews I read talk about it being a less-spin type of ball, but I like the softness. The RZN White did seem to spin a little more than ProV1, but I felt like I got better action from the Titlist.
LesMurray

Postby Sir Hackalot » Thu May 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Mr. LipOUT

Thanks for the input, will keep my eyes open. The condition looked tip top on the one I blew up, I guess you're correct, there probably was a flaw somewhere. Hit 'em straight!
Sir Hackalot

Postby mdrretired » Fri May 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Did you manage to save the head? Maybe I can salvage it for you. Send a pic and I will let you know. Mike
mdrretired

Postby Sir Hackalot » Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks for the offer, didn't save the head as it was sheared in 2 and that which remained on the shaft was splintered pretty bad. Just time to find another, I can take solice in the fact that I only paid a dollar for it on eBay, shipping was 15!
Sir Hackalot

Postby Tupac » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:44 pm

having read through this thread, still not sure on the "best golf ball" for persimmon heads

I believe bellata type golf balls are what one should use but i am not sure how these will play off the irons as there is information that these "cut" easily.
Tupac

Next

Return to Equipment