Grips and Shafts

Re: Grips and Shafts

Postby Newman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:14 am

Not sure if this has already been posted. Pretty fascinating read:

http://www.dynacrafteurope.co.uk/modguidechapter1.pdf

Including this about shaft-fitting in the '40s
“Swingers” were advised to play with softer flex shafts; “Hitters” were directed toward firmer flex shafts
Sounds about right...
Newman

Postby lagpressure » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:51 pm

111.jpg
111.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 3375 times

11.jpg
11.jpg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 3378 times

Thanks for posting...
would love to take a look at chapter 3 in particular.
6 and 7 also... maybe the whole thing!

Appears to be an excellent study.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I was at the range today with my friend. I'm using 3 persimmon woods, all seem to be R flex. Sometimes I shoot straighter than others, but there is always at least a fade.

I tried my friend's Burner metal driver, an early 90's I'm guessing. It's almost smaller than my Armour driver. But it has a DG S300 shaft.

Feels WAY better. Like I knew I was going to hit the ball. And it went very straight.

Problems with my swing notwithstanding, it seems like a stiff shaft will be more consistent regarding the face angle at impact.

(On Friday I was at Rutgers golf course, which was great, but I used a rental set. Ugh... WHERE ARE THE IRONS?? I asked... Just a Millenium Falcon and a bunch of alien probes. Mounted to ski poles.)
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:25 am

For nerds only

"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby HB51 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:06 am

X-Stiff Question:

Fortunately I picked up some mp-33's last summer at a play it again sports prior to finding abs. Bent them 6 degrees flat and got them to lags desired weights this past spring. They have S300 parallel tip and I would like to get to X-stiff. Would anyone recommend taking about 1.5 inches or so off the tip and extending the butt? From what I've read this would be "hard stepping 3x to make them close to X-stiff. I would attempt to do this on the cheap by using a pipe cutter and getting some extensions. I'm no club fitter or repairman by any means...but can do basic stuff. Am I wasting my time and would this produce unwanted results?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

HB51
HB51

Postby k2baloo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:38 am

HB51 wrote:X-Stiff Question:

Fortunately I picked up some mp-33's last summer at a play it again sports prior to finding abs. Bent them 6 degrees flat and got them to lags desired weights this past spring. They have S300 parallel tip and I would like to get to X-stiff. Would anyone recommend taking about 1.5 inches or so off the tip and extending the butt? From what I've read this would be "hard stepping 3x to make them close to X-stiff. I would attempt to do this on the cheap by using a pipe cutter and getting some extensions. I'm no club fitter or repairman by any means...but can do basic stuff. Am I wasting my time and would this produce unwanted results?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

HB51

That sounds fine to me. Should make them stiffer. Are you positive they're parallel tip? I would have bet money the MP-33s were taper tip...
k2baloo

Postby HB51 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 am

you're right K2...taper. Should have cked before posting. Actually, I should have known better...

Plan B.
I'v got some mp 57's 5-p, also from play it again, never use them. Do you think I could pull the shaft from the wedge and stick it in the 8 iron (extend to length) of that set, just for practice purposes? I rarely play, just drill and hit balls in a field usually with an 8 or 9 iron. Hope to play next year. I'll then work on getting a set of X-stiff irons.

Thanks.
HB51

Postby k2baloo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:21 am

HB51 wrote:you're right K2...taper. Should have cked before posting. Actually, I should have known better...

Plan B.
I'v got some mp 57's 5-p, also from play it again, never use them. Do you think I could pull the shaft from the wedge and stick it in the 8 iron (extend to length) of that set, just for practice purposes? I rarely play, just drill and hit balls in a field usually with an 8 or 9 iron. Hope to play next year. I'll then work on getting a set of X-stiff irons.

Thanks.

Yep, hard-stepping shafts is an easy way to do it. Good luck with the build and the game!
k2baloo

Postby nfbandon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Mashie,

I used to live about a mile from Greg, the guy in the video. I called him to get some help installing some leather grips with air, and spent some time with him. He is definitely a "nerd" about this and I heard all about his machine, but he is a super nice guy. He would probably get a kick out of building some of the sets folks are talking about here, but he would argue the physics of it.
nfbandon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment