Grips and Shafts

Re: Grips and Shafts

Postby HB51 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:24 am

Not sure if this is the right thread, but seems close.

In getting clubs swing weight and dead weight up to Lag's specs I initially added lead tape (quite a bit-7-8 strips) to the back of the heads (mp33). This brought the swing weights up to around D8-E1, but I was around 10-15grams light on overall weight. I then put a long strip of lead tape on the entire back side of the shaft to get the dead weight up. Not sure where I read that...but didn't have any other method. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

HB51
HB51

Postby Stu Carlburger » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:38 am

HB51,

Lead tape will certainly work, and it's what I have used and continue to use. However, I've come to like a combination of the Tour Lock (http://www.golfsmith.com/search?Ntt=tour+lock+weights) and lead tape to get more precision and the ability to step up or down the weight to maintain the strait line balance point (BP).

See (viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4517&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10) for a discussion of BP and weighting.

With the combo of both one can hit pretty much any weight they want.

Hope this helps!
Stu Carlburger

Postby HelterSkelter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:52 am

HB51 wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread, but seems close.

In getting clubs swing weight and dead weight up to Lag's specs I initially added lead tape (quite a bit-7-8 strips) to the back of the heads (mp33). This brought the swing weights up to around D8-E1, but I was around 10-15grams light on overall weight. I then put a long strip of lead tape on the entire back side of the shaft to get the dead weight up. Not sure where I read that...but didn't have any other method. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

HB51

That sounds like a lot of lead tape! Fine for drilling - I have done similar with a 2 and 3 iron I use for drills which are also mp33s, not on the shaft though!

Sounds a bit much for playing. What was the target weight for each club?

I have two sets for playing - a set of mp33s with X100 and a set of mp37s with S300 both set up very similar at half inch long of older spec (or standard length for modern clubs).

I did not have to add that much lead tape to the long irons, slightly more to the mp33s are they are slightly lighter (head and shaft).

For a 5 iron length of 38" I have a weight of 440g and then 8g steps up and down. I would say there is a fair bit of lead tape on the mid to short irons - more as you go shorter.

Mine mostly range from D3-D6 then a bit more for the wedges D8-D9.

I think Lag plays D6 or maybe D8 (I can't remember) in his irons 3-9, then goes heavier in the wedges, maybe E5.
Brad I think starts at about D3 and progresses up to D6 in mid, D8 in short and E0 in wedges. Might be slightly out.
HelterSkelter

Postby Stu Carlburger » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:54 am

I think the easiet thing to do if you're going to try to match Lag's dead weight numbers is put some tungsten powder down the shaft, cork it, then put some back weight to make up the last few grams.
Stu Carlburger

Postby LesMurray » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:57 am

I would just send your clubs off to Mike Rees. He does all my club alterations for me. Very reasonable and does excellent work.

I currently have some '60s Hogan Speed Slots with him getting refinished. He puts lead plugs in the shafts when I want him to weight up my clubs. Usually I need about an ounce added to most clubs.
LesMurray

Postby HB51 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:46 am

Helter,

Just saw your reply. My clubs were originally D-2. I tried to get somewhere in line with Lag's specs...and came across something similar on this site. I can't remember where but the specs were related to MP33 or Mizuno in general and consisted of the following:

2 = 420
3 = 430
4 = 440
5 = 450
6 = 460
7 = 470
8 = 480
9 = 490
P = 500

I used this when I first came across ABS about a year ago particularly because it was easy to remember (10 gram increments) and the repair guy at the nearest retail shop wasn't too versed in anything I was proscribing...especially when I asked him to bend em 6 degrees flat. (he looked at me like I had 2 heads, and vehemently said no... but I told him he's not responsible if he snapped one off)

Now, looking back at Lag's specs, I am probably 8-14 grams heavy on average on many clubs. I probably don't need the strip on the back, or I could keep it and pull some lead off the head.

Thanks for replying.

HB51
HB51

Postby HB51 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:50 am

....On another note. I found a set of MP29 with X300 fairly cheap.

Not sure if I should go with those or wait for a vintage set with XStiff to come along. Any thoughts or recommendations.

HB51
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 am

HB51 wrote:....On another note. I found a set of MP29 with X300 fairly cheap.

Not sure if I should go with those or wait for a vintage set with XStiff to come along. Any thoughts or recommendations.

HB51

If I recall my research the MP-29 is a good club. What some have done is use the MP-29 for the long irons (2-7) and the MP-14 for 8-PW. I might have that mix reversed - I think this is because one of them had more offset in the short irons and the other had more offset in the long irons. So people would mix them to reduce the offset.
LesMurray

Postby HB51 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:22 am

Les...did you switch to XStiff when converting to ABS...if so, what, if any noticeable changes stood out? Anyone else notice substantial changes???
HB51

Postby HelterSkelter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Les is correct. 29s are like 37s (great set by the way) and 14s are more similar to 33s.

The long irons in the 37s have hardly any offset. The short irons slight but still very little (just a hair more than the 33s)

The 37s are slightly more compact, with a slightly wider sole. There is slightly less mass in the toe of the 37s and you notice toe hits more because of this and because the blade is a slightly shorter too.

The 37s are set up one degree of loft stronger as standard. But I get the lofts done when the clubs are flattered anyway, as they may change when flattening by that much.

I actually prefer the 37s slightly even with the s300 shafts. It's a shame I have the x100 in the 33s. I should really swap them one day.
HelterSkelter

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment