4 = 440
5 = 450
6 = 460
7 = 470
8 = 480
9 = 490
P = 500

HB51

Those specs would definitely have significant lead tape on them even the 2 iron. The 3 iron there is about 10g more than standard and maybe 13g over with x100. Assuming they don't have unusually heavy grips.

The pitching wedge there would be at least 30g over standard. Generally I think there was 6-7g between the raw clubs and I made mine about 8g increments so they had a roughly similar MOI too.
HelterSkelter

Re: Grips and Shafts

Postby HB51 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Helter,

Why is it that you don't prefer the X100's in the MP33's and wish you had S300. From what I have gathered, Lag endorses X Stiff (and heavy) for those seeking ABS...
HB51

Postby HelterSkelter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:39 pm

No I just wish I had x100s in the 37s. I got stiffer shafts as I went along, but never found another set of 37s with x100 shafts at a reasonable price. So I got the 33s in x100, which are also great clubs. But the heads I like best are the 37s.

Having said that I don't mind the s300 for playing, but now I always use the x100 set for ball striking drills.
HelterSkelter

Postby LesMurray » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:22 pm

HB51 wrote:Les...did you switch to XStiff when converting to ABS...if so, what, if any noticeable changes stood out? Anyone else notice substantial changes???

I've always liked stiff shafts and since being in ABS I have come to really like extra stiff. There is a springiness to stiff and x-stiff shafts that I really like. The club has a unique enjoyable feedback from the shaft that I really like. With softer shafts it seems to me the head is harder to control - to early on the release and it wants to snap left, not enough Mod 1 and the face will be left too wide open.

My favorite shaft at the moment is an old TT Rocket green band shaft in S flex. They seem to be the heaviest and stiffest shafts of the time. I have not tried ProPel 1 shafts yet.
LesMurray

Postby HB51 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:44 am

Did my first reshaft...took a S300 shaft from an MP60 PW and put it in my 8 iron in my MP33. Apparently, this would be a 2X hard step.

I also cut off about 3/4 inch from the tip (had to turn it down a little to fit in hosel), which I believe would step it one more time...therefore bringing it to XStiff (extended butt to length). Actually felt great. Not to stiff at all. Felt like a little more "substance" and control from the top through the strike. Noticed a bit more of a "flushing" sound also. One of my problems is to get on it pretty hard right out of transition, and this seemed to slow me down a little. I think I'll reshaft a couple more with the same method, unless anyone has suggestions otherwise.

On another note, last week I hit a Persimmon for the first time in about 30 years. It came from a fellow ABS'er and was built to ABS specs...Hogan speed slot very heavy and very stiff. The thing absolutely kicked my butt...I felt like it was swinging me, and I could not handle it. I only hit about a dozen shots, mostly "low cut liners" a few pull hooks, and a pop up or two. I did catch a couple fairly solid. On the solid hits the ball came off very hard and fast, boring like a missile, not really much trajectory...seemed to fly about 180 and roll another 100... :?

Although I'm very happy with my progress in ABS so far, I know I still got a long way to go...especially to handle that persimmon beast.

HB51,
HB51

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm

I have a 3 Wood with a dynamic gold t300 shaft. Can't find any info on it. Anyone know about this? I'm guessing it stands for 'tour'.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 am

k2baloo wrote:I have a 3 Wood with a dynamic gold t300 shaft. Can't find any info on it. Anyone know about this? I'm guessing it stands for 'tour'.

I found out the t is regular flex. I was hoping for something cooler.
k2baloo

Postby HB51 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:23 am

Hoping for some feedback...

I'm trying to dial in on a shaft flex and I'm unsure what to do. I currently have mp33 with S300, but made the 8 iron XStiff (put in PW shaft, tipped 1", extended). Pulled the 7 iron head and asked myself, " is this worth it and going to make a difference?"

Anyway, other than feeling stiffer, I'm and not sure I notice much difference in play with the XStiff. Although it may go a little shorter, but I'm not that dilaled in and only practice in a field. (if it matters, my swing is probably around 110 with fairly strong/stable hands through impact)

Anyway, going into the season, I was unsure of whether to change out the whole set and make it XStiff, or just keep it S300 and avoid the hassle/cost? Didn't want to spend a lot.

Also, for those who play em, do you get/see a noticeable difference with vintage XStiff clubs? I'm at a crossroads and looking for some direction.

Thanks,
HB51
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:12 am

My gamers are a set of '57 Staffs with original TT Rocket stiff shafts. I have a set of MacGregors with newer Rifle 6.5 shafts. In both sets I notice a springiness in the shafts that isn't present in my sets with standard stiff shafts. I think if you are striking with a lot of compression the x-stiff shafts give a bit more spring and feel.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 am

For me, extra stiff shafts help with trajectory in the short clubs. In the long clubs it helps me avoid hooks.
I can play stiff shafts just fine in irons but really struggle with it in a wood or driver.
An 8 iron is one of those clubs where you may not see a great difference. With 110 swing speed with a driver most places will fit you into extra stiff anyway.

The TT green rocket shafts Les mentioned are great; they're in my gamers as well now.
k2baloo

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment