Shaft vs lie angle vs weight

Shaft vs lie angle vs weight

Postby TheCrow » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:53 am

I'm currently playing a set of Hogan Apex Redlines with Apex 4 shafts. I had the lie angles bent 4* flat and put lots of lead tape on them to get progressive swing weights from D3-D8.

I also have a set of Cleveland 588 Melonite Blades from the late 80s with S400 shafts. I believe the lofts are standard and in comparison to the hogans are definitely more upright. They do feel heavier in my hands even without lead tape.

So my question is, what is more important, using a heavy club or using a lighter club with flatter lie angles? Ideally you'd have both, and I would like to bend the Clevelands but I believe they're cast and they already show some stress cracks on the hosels maybe from a previous lie angle adjustment.
TheCrow

Re: Shaft vs lie angle vs weight

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 am

I believe the Apex 4 shafts are lighter than s400 (115 vs 130 grams). You may like to try heavier shafts in the Hogans...
I have a set of Hogan's that I didn't like too much until I reshafted them with dynamic gold. I put the new shafts in half an inch long since I'm 6'3. The heavier shafts and extra length put all the swing weights between d5-d9 and then I added some lead to the lighter feeling clubs.
However, I think you should go with what feels best for you. You could try to bend the Clevelands a little bit.... See if they don't break
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:54 pm

TheCrow wrote:I'm currently playing a set of Hogan Apex Redlines with Apex 4 shafts. I had the lie angles bent 4* flat and put lots of lead tape on them to get progressive swing weights from D3-D8.

I also have a set of Cleveland 588 Melonite Blades from the late 80s with S400 shafts. I believe the lofts are standard and in comparison to the hogans are definitely more upright. They do feel heavier in my hands even without lead tape.

So my question is, what is more important, using a heavy club or using a lighter club with flatter lie angles? Ideally you'd have both, and I would like to bend the Clevelands but I believe they're cast and they already show some stress cracks on the hosels maybe from a previous lie angle adjustment.

Weighing in a little late here...but I just started playing with jack nicklaus murfield blades vs. mizuno mp-59's and lighter shafts (pxi 6.5). I haven't adjusted the lie angles yet (still working with Lag), but the weight has made the most difference for me. It makes all the swing flaws/mistakes so much more obvious. I guess feel is just better for learning. It only took about 10 balls for my body to figure out how to swing with less lie angle. I took video to make sure I wasn't getting steep, and everything appeared in order.

Hope this helps...even if it is an old post.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby TheCrow » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually had a guy come out of the blue and offer to buy the Cleveland Tour Actions. So I'm selling them this weekend. Hard to let them go but they're just sitting in the closet collecting dust.
TheCrow

Return to Equipment