Driver vs driver

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:28 pm

norcalvol wrote:Right.

BTW, you don't need a swingweight scale (I don't have one)...

Swing Weight = ([DW * (BP-14)] * 0.034274) - 143.5... then that divided by 1.75

Deadweight is in grams, Balance Point is inches from the butt end.

A result of 45.0 would be D5 (the "4" is the letter and the "5" is the increment); a result of 55.0 would be E5, and so on.

I didn't know that especially the D5 part

Thanks
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby HB51 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:22 am

Stu, or anyone else.

Do you feel tungsten powder is the preferable method to increase weight/swingweight in the head area...as opposed to lead tape? Also, I posted on another thread about putting lead tape on the back of the shaft. Do you have any thoughts on this?

HB51
HB51

Postby NRG » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:16 am

I don't think its a bad idea to keep an eye on the swingweights. Focusing on dead weights alone isn't going to get you the best results. I like to know what each head weighs, what each shaft and grip weighs and end up with a set that are deadweight heavy as well as swingweight heavy with progressive swingweights and even progressive MOIs. But you can't just look at SWs and MOI without keeping a close eye on shaft length and deadweight otherwise you can get false results. A light grip will give you a heavy swing weight an so on.

HB51 I prefer powder as tape falls off, but there is only so much powder you can put in the tips (maybe about 1/2 an ounce in a 3 iron upto 3/4 an ounce with a wedge) before you start to change the balance of the clubhead and move the sweetspot. Ideally start with a set that is already heavy so you can add all the weight to the tips.
NRG

Postby Stu Carlburger » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:21 am

They're pretty much the same except the tungsten goes a bit farther (as its denser) and, aesthetically, gives the same effect but with a cleaner look. Currently, I'm using tungsten for the broader weight, and lead tape to fine tune the balancing.

As far as under the grip goes, I've done that for years as well as used the weight plugs like Balance Certified and TourLock. I've never put lead tape on the shaft, except under the grip.
Stu Carlburger

Postby norcalvol » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:19 pm

HB51 wrote:Stu, or anyone else.

Do you feel tungsten powder is the preferable method to increase weight/swingweight in the head area...as opposed to lead tape? Also, I posted on another thread about putting lead tape on the back of the shaft. Do you have any thoughts on this?

HB51

Powder is a pain to remove once emplaced.... so my approach is to use some powder to get the club to some minimal weight, and from that baseline you can experiment with additional weight with lead tape, knowing that such experimentation may take you from heavier to lighter and back to heavier --- and that is easier with tape.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Stu Carlburger » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:10 pm

norcalvol wrote:Powder is a pain to remove once emplaced....

I didn't use epoxy, just a cork and a ram rod. I've been looking for 48" 1/4 drill bit just in case I need to change it out I can just drill out the cork and start over.
Stu Carlburger

Previous

Return to Equipment