Driver vs driver

Driver vs driver

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:10 pm

There's a new show on the GC inviting people around the globe to develop a new driver for Wilson.

One inventor's driver idea was based on accuracy. The Marketing Director for Wilson (one of the judges) says, "Market a driver based on accuracy??? That just scares me"
"The secret is on the deck"
User avatar
Mashie72
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 am

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby k2baloo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:38 pm

LOL...
I love it. What was the design that made it more accurate?
k2baloo
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:00 am

k2baloo wrote:LOL...
I love it. What was the design that made it more accurate?


To be honest with you I thought he had a faulty premise so I mentally tuned him out and can't remember the exact details. It was named The Wasp Driver. The back head was higher than the face helping the hack hit down & through better thinking this was the key to accuracy??? IIRC the sole didn't sit flat putting more mass behind & higher than the face.
"The secret is on the deck"
User avatar
Mashie72
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 am

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby k2baloo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am

Weird. I would love to see a driver designed solely for accuracy with no concern for distance.

Persimmon is nice because it's shorter and heavier so naturally encourages more accuracy IMO... I personally think MOI and the big clubheads have been greatly overrated in terms of providing forgiveness and accuracy.
k2baloo
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:33 pm

k2baloo wrote:Weird. I would love to see a driver designed solely for accuracy with no concern for distance.

Persimmon is nice because it's shorter and heavier so naturally encourages more accuracy IMO... I personally think MOI and the big clubheads have been greatly overrated in terms of providing forgiveness and accuracy.


I agree. Here's an older vid showing how one can spray the ball all over the place or what one needs to do to hit it flush. FWIW no AOA is mentioned..

"The secret is on the deck"
User avatar
Mashie72
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 am

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby k2baloo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Nice video. If you don't want huge path shifts due to impact, make the club heavier :) Or hit it in the center :D Seriously though, this is one of the main reasons I'm a fan of heavier gear.

I'm also a big fan of small clubheads. It's a shame most people are afraid of them because they think "they're not good enough"... I had a set of GI-ish irons, and found them difficult to hit pure. We should have just kept things nice and simple and kept to persimmons and blades. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that believe the game is much more enjoyable with the modern stuff. That's fine too. It's leisure, so whatever makes it enjoyable for people is fine by me. I just don't think the equipment really makes it any more fun.

Distance is a comparative thing anyway. I've never understood how everyone is so jacked about hitting the ball farther when everyone else is given the same boost. What's the point? You'll still be just as long as you ever were when compared to the competition. Don't get me started on "distance" irons... Irons are supposed to go pin-high. Distance irons just mean you have to buy 2 extra wedges. For as much as I disagree and bump heads with Lag, I'm starting to sound like him :lol:
k2baloo
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby lagpressure » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:31 pm

k2baloo wrote:Nice video. If you don't want huge path shifts due to impact, make the club heavier :) Or hit it in the center :D Seriously though, this is one of the main reasons I'm a fan of heavier gear.

I'm also a big fan of small clubheads. It's a shame most people are afraid of them because they think "they're not good enough"... I had a set of GI-ish irons, and found them difficult to hit pure. We should have just kept things nice and simple and kept to persimmons and blades. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that believe the game is much more enjoyable with the modern stuff. That's fine too. It's leisure, so whatever makes it enjoyable for people is fine by me. I just don't think the equipment really makes it any more fun.

Distance is a comparative thing anyway. I've never understood how everyone is so jacked about hitting the ball farther when everyone else is given the same boost. What's the point? You'll still be just as long as you ever were when compared to the competition. Don't get me started on "distance" irons... Irons are supposed to go pin-high. Distance irons just mean you have to buy 2 extra wedges. For as much as I disagree and bump heads with Lag, I'm starting to sound like him :lol:





It's obvious Palmer preferred the proper game. Just look how he lights up when mentioning "the old stuff".
User avatar
lagpressure
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8160
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:33 pm

k2baloo wrote:Persimmon is nice because it's shorter and heavier so naturally encourages more accuracy IMO... I personally think MOI and the big clubheads have been greatly overrated in terms of providing forgiveness and accuracy.


In my experience it's much easier to hit a smaller head more accurately.

And I agree - I can't understand at all why people care about hitting farther. If you're like me and barely make it 200 yards on a good day, just play forward tees (on any course that isn't brand new).

Maybe everyone is chasing distance because the housing developers wanted more fairway-facing properties to sell and incrementally extended the holes, development after development?
McGee
User avatar
stevemcgee99
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 am

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby 20 Mule Team » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:25 am

k2baloo wrote:Weird. I would love to see a driver designed solely for accuracy with no concern for distance.

Persimmon is nice because it's shorter and heavier so naturally encourages more accuracy IMO... I personally think MOI and the big clubheads have been greatly overrated in terms of providing forgiveness and accuracy.



In my opinion, the 'forgiveness' of giant titanium drivers relates mostly to distance loss, not accuracy. There are, in fact, much wilder shots that I'm able to hit with a modern driver, shots I could never duplicate with persimmon (thank goodness!).

Now, I think that if you're comparing, say, a 1" miss of the sweetspot on titanium vs a 1" miss on persimmon, the titanium wins on distance (easily) and is probably still in play, making it a more forgivable miss. BUT, I think the lightness and longness of most titanium drivers exacerbates the swing errors with them and mostly negates any potential advantage. As does the sloppiness that creeps into your swing with the use of huge heads. You'll end up missing the sweetspot by much more than 1". With persimmon you're forced to slow down, tighten up, and swing under control. Which equals fewer bad swings.

I'll have a few more birdie chances (which I probably still won't convert) with the titanium but it also greatly enhances the odds of making double bogey or worse with those unplayably wild shots. No net advantage.

Bottom line for me is my scores have gone down with persimmon while my enjoyment of the game has gone up. I personally can't stand missing the fairway by 50-75 yards. I don't even want to play that game. When I first found this site and read John's rants on the modern game I thought he might be a bit mad...which is what most folks think of me now as they can't understand my equipment choice. But now I understand what its all about and how dead on he is. When I'm traveling I'll look for the older, shorter, narrower persimmon-era tracks. As an added bonus, they're usually much cheaper. I wholly believe its a better game and a richer experience. So keep up the rants, Lag!
20 Mule Team
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 9:05 am

Re: Driver vs driver

Postby k2baloo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:04 am

Agreed and agreed.

The older clubs make driving the ball simpler. It's difficult, but at least it's doable. Whereas I feel I have no chance whatsoever to control the modern drivers. Missing by 50 yards was always possible when I stepped on the tee and I hated that feeling.

The most important arguments for me for the old clubs are:
1. Smaller courses => Cheaper maintenance, easier and faster to walk, less environmental impact.
2. Clubs are cheaper and available.
3. I enjoy the experience more on the course due to the feel and reduced misses.
k2baloo
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Next

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest