Iron Regrooving

Iron Regrooving

Postby k2baloo » Sat May 06, 2017 5:50 am

Anybody done this or have thoughts? Did you do it yourself or send it somewhere?

Love my current gamers, but I hit too many knuckleballs. Need a but more spin for distance control and stopping power.
k2baloo

Re: Iron Regrooving

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat May 06, 2017 8:34 am

FWIW K2,

I've never seen it work out very well, even when an "expert" did it. Further, I've seen people try to donit themselves, and ummmm yeah ... NOT good. It's just too easy to get off perfectly straight and it gets all wonky. One slip and you've got lines going all over the place. My only advice is if you must do it yourself, practice on some clubs you don't use and don't care about tonget the hang of it, and GO SLOW!

My $.02!
Stu Carlburger

Postby k2baloo » Sat May 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks Stu
I'm a little hesitant to do it myself, but I'm curious how Golfworks or The Iron Factory could do. My problem is the lack of spin hurts my distance control and I can't hit spinners with my wedges the way I want.
Maybe that's just something I have to accept when playing vintage gear.
k2baloo

Postby ballturf » Mon May 08, 2017 12:25 pm

I've have seen groove sharpeners on the internet just google that and see what comes up, seems pretty straight forward. Not too difficult, give it a try and see what's out there. I might even do that since my grooves are a little-worn down.

BallTurf.
The only way to permanently learn a motor skill is thru REPETITION !
ballturf

Postby LesMurray » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am

Just go get yourself some old balatas off eBay. There are always some Titleist Balatas showing up, most with logos.

I bought a dozen a few weeks ago and played them in a tournament. The one thing I forgot about those balatas is once they hit a tree or a cart path they are pretty much done. Still good for a fun round though.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Tue May 09, 2017 1:32 pm

LesMurray wrote:Just go get yourself some old balatas off eBay. There are always some Titleist Balatas showing up, most with logos.

I bought a dozen a few weeks ago and played them in a tournament. The one thing I forgot about those balatas is once they hit a tree or a cart path they are pretty much done. Still good for a fun round though.

May have to do this for fun either way. What brands are good outside of Titleist? Them and the Maxfli HTs go for a bit of money. Are there cheaper top flite or strata balatas worth buying? See some Hogan's on there too.
k2baloo

Postby ballturf » Tue May 09, 2017 3:55 pm

I forgot to mention I had my Hogan Apex's Irons re-chromed from the Iron Factory and they came out great. I here the heads lose some weight when re-done, However, I forgot to weigh my clubs before shipping them out. I looked at the pricing for regrooving and it's only $18 dollars a club since you only have one that's not bad at all. I'm sure you have the internet site name just in case you don't here it is https://www.theironfactory.com check it out and good luck!

BallTurf :P
The only way to permanently learn a motor skill is thru REPETITION !
ballturf

Postby LesMurray » Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 am

k2baloo wrote:May have to do this for fun either way. What brands are good outside of Titleist? Them and the Maxfli HTs go for a bit of money. Are there cheaper top flite or strata balatas worth buying? See some Hogan's on there too.

Yeah, the titleists demand the highest premium, especially if they are without logos. I actually passed on a deal to buy 8 dozen X-out Titleists. Didn't think I could use up that many.

I actually am finding that there isn't a lot of difference between balls at this point. I shot a 4-over 40 a few weeks ago using a 1970's PGA ball. You see Rams and Stratas out there. I think even the old Maxflis or Dunlops work decently.

If you want a new balata to play you could even try this: https://www.mcintyregolf.com/golf-balls/rtj

$50/doz not a bad price for new balata
LesMurray

Return to Equipment