Newbe learn to bend club

Newbe learn to bend club

Postby logo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 am

Dear all ABSsers,

I have taken ABS for almost 2 years, i am now in Module#8. Because i am frustrated of the bending service in proshops, thinking about work on changing lie and loft of golf clubs on my self. I would appreciate all of your advice for the following:

- What tool, equipment i need to buy to start with?
- Where to get these tools and equipment?

Thanks

Logo
logo

Re: Newbe learn to bend club

Postby Turfrider » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, I had the same thought awhile back and researched the various options before concluding that John and Mike do an amazing job :D But your various options can be found here at golf works http://www.golfworks.com/bending-tools/c/10059/

It really depends on how much you want to bend and spend. I considered the cheapest option, the device that fits in the standard vise, but after reading reviews concluded that you do get what you pay for. Maybe for occasional use its ok but for a whole set might prove frustrating, also because you need another way to loft and lie of the club so bend.

Thus, the more expensive options which seem to only make sense if you plan to do a lot of bending or it's a hobby you really want to get into. I believe Mitchell makes the more high end equipment.

Perhaps the best option is eBay. There always seems to be some old timer or part timer who is parting ways with his bending bar and loft and lie machine. The challenge might be shipping.

And if you are lucky, you might be able to find a Van L Correcto, the loft and lie machine lag uses. It is not made anymore but they do appear occasionally. I believe they have the ability to let you see your loft and lie while you are bending instead of having to take out and measure.

As I said, I researched just enough to conclude I didn't have enough time or money or clubs to to take the plunge.
Have fun!
Turfrider

Postby lagpressure » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:10 am

I do think the Van L is the best because it has a swiveling arm that extends out to allow the fitter to view both the loft and lie angles at the same time. It's just a common sense thing if you take a look at the design.

The modern clubs are very brittle and it's easy to break the heads. The older steel forged heads were created from a much more pliable metal that is stronger and more flexible. This allowed golfers to really set up their sets as they saw fit.

Today I think the industry found it more profitable for them to just sell the player an entirely new set customized from the factory. I remember Ping being the first company to offer the color coded dots for lie angles. It would have been better if they had also offered a traditional blade without offset or the feel less cavity back design.

It's great to have your own loft and lie machine so you can really dig in and experiment. There is also a skill to removing offset from the neck with a combination of bends done with the bending tool bar.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby mdrretired » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:18 pm

I have a Mitchell and love it but Lag's Van L bending bar is the best and allows him to get low on the club during off-set removal. I can't do it worth a darn with any of y 4 bars but he is a master. It really is an art.
mdrretired

Return to Equipment