Hickory Grooves Debate

Postby lagpressure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 pm

hickoryera.jpg

Was this needed to really spin the feathery ball or the Gutta? :lol:
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Hickory Grooves Debate

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:24 am

I still firmly believe that grooves were only intended to move moisture away from the surface of the club in order to prevent the slippery knuckle ball. I imagine that being EVEN MORE the case with water and a feathery cover/gutta...vs. a modern sticky polymer.

However, it seems the new trend is to say the grooves ( their designs anyway) are there to increase/decrease spin. If I think specifically about advanced ball striking geometry, it seems moving moisture away is more on point in most cases. However, the modern wedge has somehow confused this--created a self sustaining myth...mostly because new grooves cut the cover of premium balls.

No, those grooves are not required to spin the older balls. However, the pattern is very unique and has opened my eyes to a very new world--rabbit hole coming with this one. Great picture too Lag...very cool man!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: Hickory Grooves Debate

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:35 am

I watched a head-to-head against an 'old' TP-11 and MP-5. The new one looked like a VIP.
There was 500 rpm difference in spin - the new club with lower center of gravity spun the ball less.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Return to The Hickory Era