Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Re: Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Postby hawg1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks mac, robbo.

I reread my post, and I didn't make it clear that all my bottoming out was while doing the "hit from the knees" drill.

When I was swingin' upright, I didn't hit anything anywhere near fat.

One curious point, though. I used the same tee for at least a dozen shots before cracking it, normally I bust the tee with every swing.

Oh well, back at it tomorrow.

Cheers,
hawg1
hawg1

Postby robbo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Hawg,

Even more evidence that your shoulders are tilting and not turning level. Swinging on your knees isolates issues to the torso and above. Hitting a few feet behind the ball tells me your right shoulder is moving below your left as you move into and past impact.

Trust it,

robbo
robbo

Postby lagpressure » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Yes, that is some good advice.
Hitting off your knees is a great way to learn to rotate level, and once you start cranking a few out there.. you will notice how difficult or even impossible it is to get OTT and pull one left. This can give you the big lightbulb moment about the advantages of flat lie angles.. It is simply very difficult to start the ball off line.. push or pull.

I would also check the shaft flex on your persimmon. If you are hitting the long irons well, you might have too loose a shaft in the persimmon. Make sure the shaft has a similar flexibility as the long iron you are hitting well. I like my persimmons even stiffer feeling than my long irons... so I usually tip them an inch or two.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Certainly I think it will make me a better player to play the game with the persimmon and learn to hit them well

This is absolute fact.

If you play modern gear, do so, but not because you can't hit persimmon and blades. If you can hit the old stuff, you can hit the new stuff.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby zicomartin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:30 am

robbo wrote:Hawg,

Even more evidence that your shoulders are tilting and not turning level. Swinging on your knees isolates issues to the torso and above. Hitting a few feet behind the ball tells me your right shoulder is moving below your left as you move into and past impact.

Trust it,

robbo

Thicko question here (so apologies in advance), what's the difference between a level shoulder turn and a tilted shoulder turn?

ZM.
zicomartin

Postby robbo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 am

Z,

Nothing thick about that question (especially the more I think about what I said).

Level shoulder turn would be one in which the shoulders rotate parallel to the ground, much like the main blades on a helicopter. The torso needs to be more upright to achieve it with shoulders rotating perpendicular to the spine.

Tilted could be shouders that are rotating relatively perpendicular to the spine but too much waist bend has them rotating "tilted" in relation to the ground. It could also be shoulders that rotate AND have an up and down "rocking" element to them.

robbo
robbo

Postby zicomartin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:12 am

Robbo, that's what I thought, and thanks for the clarification.

ZM.
zicomartin

Postby Addington Arnie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Funny how things work out....I was playing a few early morning holes yesterday and found a Titleist Tour Balata 100 sitting in the middle of he fairway on the penultimate hole. It had definitely seen better days (a nice lump on it!) and I suspect it had been discarded from the the nearby practice area. So out of curiosity I hit a 5 iron which felt great and it found the green. Then on the 18th I hit a nice driver and wedge to 10 feet. So I thought it might be fun to play a competitive round with a balata ball. I have picked up some new Titleist Tour Balata 90 and Titleist Professional 90's from ebay in the last few months so I thought that I might as well give it a try.

I have read that balatas lose their zip over time and certainly the ball I used on the first 9 holes didn't seem to have much zip to it, less than the chewed up one I was using the morning before! It wasn't too bad to play with but I was losing even more distance off the tee than I was anticipating and I struggled to get more than 200 yards from my driver. Perhaps I just wasn't swinging well, not sure.

So I switched to another new balata on the 10th tee, hit a nice 5 wood to 20 feet and holed the putt. This ball definitely seemed to have a bit more pep about it and I played the second 9 in +2 for an 80 which placed me 12th in gross scores out of 80 competitors using persimmon, blades and balata. I'm quite proud of that :D

I did think that the feel of persimmon is enhanced by balata. When you get it right its a great feeling, nicer than using premium modern balls. I also felt it enhanced the feedback that you get from persimmon and blades as if you hit a poor shot he ball it really didn't go anywhere if you slappped at it at all. It was fun around the greens as well. Anyway it was a fun day.

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby freddiec » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 am

Good playing Arnie! If you can get a hold of some 100 compression balatas you would probably like those even better. I have found that some of the 90s I have been able to get are hit or miss and some are like marshmellos, where 100s have still retained a great solid feel.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred
freddiec

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 am

If someone happens to have one of those old balata winding machines out in the back shed, do let me know. Fire that thing up and you'll sell heaps of them around here!

No doubt that the feel of the balata off persimmon is a perfect match. With a higher spin rate, and softer feel around the greens, it's a technology that was fine tuned for 60 years.

I really don't know where they are going with the modern balls. They certainly are not about feel and shot shaping. Once the distance thing is halted... as it seems they finally are doing something about it with limits on COR, and clubheads (a little late)... I don't what their marketing ploy is going to be.

I hope the future of a softer high spin ball might be something like the old Spalding Tour Edition that Norman played. It felt and played like a balata, had a soft cover on it that would cut, had a high spin rate but had a solid core if I remember. It was an interesting ball.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)